• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does this apply to Pokémon or is it only for Assist Trophies?
Poke Balls are pretty much ATs before ATs. And if this thread is also about spirits, they should be okay.

D

Deleted member

Owner of the Zero Twitter account and Discord server here. While I'm satisfied with the current playable roster, I'd still be pleased to see certain Assist Trophies get promoted. Zero aside, Lyn, Takamaru, Knuckles, Alucard, Akira, and some others would be nice.

As for spirits, those who know me well enough might know that a personal pipe dream of mine is Zael. But disconfirmed or not, he's just that; a pipe dream.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Meowth needs more supporters.
Yes, you can feel free and talk about Pokemon if you want.

Meowth is honestly one I definitely would like to see make the jump. Next to Zororark and Scizor.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Am I the only one who wants Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame to be playable? Yes? No?
I have never played a Fatal Frame game, but the AT is so cool I’m 100% behind playable Yuri.

Would also love a port of Maiden of Black Water for Switch to give it a go.
As for spirits, those who know me well enough might know that a personal pipe dream of mine is Zael. But disconfirmed or not, he's just that; a pipe dream.
Man of taste.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hello everyone, it’s Ninty, you probably know me by my Twitter page or as an Admin on the Discord server, but allow me to introduce myself regardless.

I’m a supporter of Fiora, Bandana Dee, Ashley, Dixie Kong, Bomberman, and Shantae, and would love to see any Assists get promoted. I’m all for it, so I’d love to hear all your ideas!

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
Am I the only one who wants Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame to be playable? Yes? No?

That aside, I am in full support of this. There are many characters I feel deserve a better chance and would bring something new to Smash. Shadow, Marx, Yuri, Saki (who's AT is mysteriously gone), Tsubasa Oribe, Volleyball Girl, Mona, Krystal, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Chibi Robo, Andy, Octolings, Zero, Andross, and Magolor.
I don't know much of Fatal Frame, but she looks cool enough that I would be fine with.

And yeah, many Assist Trophies, Spirits, etc have a lot of potential to be fighters

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Shantae, who is a spirit, counts as my main pick. I'll also welcome Knuckles, Akira, Marx, Yuri, Takamaru, Sukapon, Rayman, Geno, Bomberman, and quite a few more!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't know much of Fatal Frame, but she looks cool enough that I would be fine with.

And yeah, many Assist Trophies, Spirits, etc have a lot of potential to be fighters
Right exactly.

Anyone can have moveset potential and this is why I support Yuri other than being a big fan of Fatal Frame. She would really add a lot with a moves on the Camera Obscura and ghost. There's so much you can do with that, Nintendo and Tecmo also sees it as an important IP. NoA's mishandlemet aside.

Last edited:

theelectricjesterboi1

Smash Rookie
Honestly I don't think any Assist promotions will happen unless there's a second season of DLC, which in itself seems unlikely to me. That being said, I'd like it to happen.

My top three favorite picks would be Waluigi, Starfy, and Tiki.
I think they don't, but it's good to see more starfy fans for once. Also Since ultimate dlc lifespan could be longer than smash 4 one, maybe waluigi or any of the big 6 could get promoted.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Meowth needs more supporters.
Pokemon should be fair game too.

I'd say in terms of recognition across the general public Meowth is the biggest Nintendo character who's not playable.
Me, I'm rooting for Gardevoir as always, along with my AT picks.

#PokePromotion #AssistAlliance

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think they don't, but it's good to see more starfy fans for once. Also Since ultimate dlc lifespan could be longer than smash 4 one, maybe waluigi or any of the big 6 could get promoted.
Well I think the big issue is that DLC is usually paid content. And when it comes to paid content I'm sure Sakurai wants to sell their customers something with wide mainstream appeal, and unfortunately a lot of Assist Trophies are quite niche. Now, being niche does not prevent you from being in Smash because tons of niche characters get in the game. However, niche characters are never DLC and always in the base game. I think it's far more likely that any Assist Trophy (aside from mainstream characters like Waluigi) will be researved for the next game.

Nothing is impossible. Look at Ridley. People said he would never be in Smash and it finally happened. But it still took a long time. Years in fact. Realistically, you guys might have to wait a while. But if you stick to it, it just might happen.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just updated the OP with a link to the official Instagram for the movement.

We don't update it much but we are starting to use it more and anyone with an account can follow it if they want.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd say in terms of recognition across the general public Meowth is the biggest Nintendo character who's not playable.
I'd say the top three in no order are Meowth, Eevee, and Waluigi.
I'm sure Sakurai wants to sell their customers something with wide mainstream appeal, and unfortunately a lot of Assist Trophies are quite niche. Now, being niche does not prevent you from being in Smash because tons of niche characters get in the game. However, niche characters are never DLC and always in the base game.
It might just be because Waluigi is among them, but I believe even the mainstream would love to see AT characters being promoted. On YouTube and social media, you can see highly rated comments about how cool it would be to see these ATs become playable, so the mere thought of promoted AT DLC can be hype-worthy regardless of who it is.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pokemon should be fair game too.

Me, I'm rooting for Gardevoir as always, along with my AT picks.

#PokePromotion #AssistAlliance
On Twitter, I usually use the hashtags #OperationPayDay and #TeamRocketTakeover to support Meowth and Team Rocket (Meowth, Ekans, Koffing). It’s my number one pick for Gen 1 Pokémon and Pokémon in general.

Gardevoir along with Blaziken, Plusle & Minun, and Deoxys are my top picks for Gen 3 Pokemon.

Bewear, Mimikyu, Decidueye, and Alolan Meowth (Meowth Echo Fighter) are my top picks for Gen 7.

Yeah, I agree that Meowth is one of the big name Nintendo characters not yet playable in Smash. It’s like what Sakurai said about Piranha Plant and I quote, “Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well.” (Source).

Meowth is definitely a Nintendo character everyone knows well thanks to the anime. Piranha Plant isn’t a major Mario character in Mario games but everyone knows who it is. Same with Meowth. It isn’t a major Pokémon character in the Pokémon games but everyone knows who it is. The same is true for Jessie and James despite them appearing in only 4 Pokémon games (Yellow, Puzzle League, both Let’s Go versions).

In fact, according to Pokémon producer Junichi Masuda the anime is popular and airs in 85+ countries. Millions of people, especially younger kids, watch the anime even if they haven’t played Pokémon games. (Source). These people most likely would recognize Meowth and Team Rocket if they got in Smash as a playable fighter.

1A15A57E-1310-4E21-BC5B-85E7AC321EC6.png

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Still pushing for Shadow, Zero, Black Knight, Waluigi, and Alucard to become playable someday as well as Yuri Kozukata. Never say never.

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
I think at this point, Waluigi is a guarantee to be in soon. He's gained such fan support that maybe Sakurai will think that he's fit for the roster.

With him, it's less of a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think at this point, Waluigi is a guarantee to be in soon. He's gained such fan support that maybe Sakurai will think that he's fit for the roster.

With him, it's less of a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.
I feel the exact same way about Isaac, especially with the general disappointment that his Assist was met with (though I personally believe Isaac has a decent chance for Wave 1 DLC).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Support all the way. I really want Waluigi, Ashley, Lyn, and Bomberman playable.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm a huge supporter of Kat & Ana and Saki Amamiya and a firm believer that Spirits don't deconfirm, so count me in.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Eh, Krystal may be recognizable too, though unfortunately, it may be for the wrong reasons.

However, there are things that Krystal does have going for her, a unique moveset (how many Smash fighters use a staff extensively, and no Palutena doesn't count.), somewhat recognizable, she alledgedly did very well on the Ballot, and she's been heavily requested for well over a decade

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter were to be added for Smash as a playable character, do you think they would use his classic polygonal design from Virtua Fighter 1? Because they used that design for him as an Assist Trophy. Which is kinda nostalgic. And nostalgia IS one of the reasons we love Nintendo.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter were to be added for Smash as a playable character, do you think they would use his classic polygonal design from Virtua Fighter 1? Because they used that design for him as an Assist Trophy. Which is kinda nostalgic. And nostalgia IS one of the reasons we love Nintendo.
Also, if they DO add him, they should also add Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue as a semi-clone.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Great thread! My personal pick for an AT promotion is Krystal!

She would definitely stand out as a unique Starfox character, but also as a unique character in general given her staff and other techniques from Starfox Adventures.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They also used the polygonal design for his Mii Brawler costume.

I wonder if how extremely complex Akira's gameplay is is why he had to just be an AT. They might go for Jacky, the other VF character who got a Mii costume, instead because he's the "beginner" character.
Also, if they DO add him, they should also add Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue as a semi-clone.
A nod to how Shenmue was supposed to star Akira?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does Japan really have a more positive view of ATs?

Someone in the Discord once mentioned that they ****ride ATs, and I wanted proof of this, stating that Chrom was meant for Japanese fans, who should've been fine with just Robin's FS if this was the case.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
while im certainly on board but theres a few characters among them id rather didnt get promoted, but surely im not the only one

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
while im certainly on board but theres a few characters among them id rather didnt get promoted, but surely im not the only one
Definitely, I personally wouldn't want someone like chain chomp in because I feel like they fit the Assist Trophy role well.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Repping Isaac here, but I'd also love to see Shadow, Zero, Spring Man and Bandanna Dee make the cut!

theelectricjesterboi1

Smash Rookie
Well I think the big issue is that DLC is usually paid content. And when it comes to paid content I'm sure Sakurai wants to sell their customers something with wide mainstream appeal, and unfortunately a lot of Assist Trophies are quite niche. Now, being niche does not prevent you from being in Smash because tons of niche characters get in the game. However, niche characters are never DLC and always in the base game. I think it's far more likely that any Assist Trophy (aside from mainstream characters like Waluigi) will be researved for the next game.

Nothing is impossible. Look at Ridley. People said he would never be in Smash and it finally happened. But it still took a long time. Years in fact. Realistically, you guys might have to wait a while. But if you stick to it, it just might happen.
Yea, we need to wait until we can strike lmao. But still, this is mostly when (possible) wave 1 ends, we start wave 2 pushing. It's a matter of time for me at this point.

Top Bottom