• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think with no Mystery Mushroom costumes, it's a huge shame. But I won't leave out the possibly of them being post release content. Either way, I am still looking forward to the game.

On a more serious note, our next stream will be Shantae Pirate's Curse, which will be this Sunday to celebrate Shantae's anniversary. We will link it here when the day comes. If any Shantae fans want to join in for commentary, let us know and we may consider you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think with no Mystery Mushroom costumes, it's a huge shame. But I won't leave out the possibly of them being post release content. Either way, I am still looking forward to the game.
[/COLOR]
that extra themes section theve got 3d world in certainly seems to be keeping to option open

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
The Hero's filename in the site is dq_hero, this was to avoid problems with anything else that has the filename that is just hero.

Isaac's Japanese name is Robin which was shared with Robin's English name, so if he is part of a fighters pass season 2, his Japanese filename in the site likely should be goldensun_robin.
It would probably be something like ont_robin, since the Japanese name of Golden Sun is "Oogon no Taiyou", and unless my theory of the whole series being launched as Golden Sun worldwide is correct, they'd label him with the Japanese name.
Have your hopes increased on Isaac being part of the fighters pass season 2?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Have your hopes increased on Isaac being part of the fighters pass season 2?
My personal theory is that the Fighter Pass is all third-party characters, but we see a three-character second wave of DLC, and Isaac is a part of that. Looking at the website, it has room for three characters underneath the Downloadable content section, and given that there are six open slots for stages on the Stage Select Screen, I think wave 2 would be all Nintendo characters, with two being characters from already represented series, like Waluigi or Bandana Dee, thus removing the need for a new stage, while Isaac would probably be last, with a new stage/music/spirits etc.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wednesday will be Shadow's anniversary, and we will celebrate with a complete stream of Sonic Adventure 2. All three routes in one day. It's possible since we have a speed runner on our side.

On the day it happens, we will share a link so anyone interested can watch us.

On another note, we are slowly working on a special musical project with the Assist Trophies. Auditions are still held and at the same time, we are working on the lyrics and those already signed up will have to record their takes.

My personal theory is that the Fighter Pass is all third-party characters, but we see a three-character second wave of DLC, and Isaac is a part of that. Looking at the website, it has room for three characters underneath the Downloadable content section, and given that there are six open slots for stages on the Stage Select Screen, I think wave 2 would be all Nintendo characters, with two being characters from already represented series, like Waluigi or Bandana Dee, thus removing the need for a new stage, while Isaac would probably be last, with a new stage/music/spirits etc.
This is actually not bad of a prediction. I can easily imagine this being a thing in the future.

3 unrepresented and 2 represented sounds like a great way to please fans as far as promotions. Anyone who says we have few first party choices left are the same people thinking promotional characters are all we have left.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't think Assist trophies can be promoted through DLC, but they can only be promoted in sequels, for example LIttle Mac was an assist trophy in Brawl, but he got promoted in Smash 4.

Spirits on the other hand can be promoted either way. Unlike assist trophies, they do not deconfirm fighters, as such Pikachu has a non-fighter spirit with no variation.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Has anyone seen this? The #AssistAlliance has their first ever video. Courtesy of Lazy Biscuit. It does a good job at talking about what the movement is about and that some characters can have multiple roles.

It's worth a watch.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Has anyone seen this? The #AssistAlliance has their first ever video. Courtesy of Lazy Biscuit. It does a good job at talking about what the movement is about and that some characters can have multiple roles.

It's worth a watch.

The video is actually very good and I was glad to have some input in the making of the script. Now all that's left is for this video to make rounds, anyone here can feel free to spread it around if they want. The more people know about the alliance, the better.

We could have more videos like this in the future if more people know about the movement or know that some characters aren't as impossible as they seem. Because it really could turn things around when we have it reach its full potential.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just a heads up, a special birthday stream for Waluigi is happening now.

Feel free to check it out, it will cover all of Waluigi:s best appearances. The Tennis part is over, but there:s still 3 more games to show in the end.

https://www.twitch.tv/assistalliance

And by the way, SourceGaming wrote a special article about Waluigi too. Some should read that as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I feel we need to get some real discussion going here, but I found something worth talking about that concerns Starfy. Demarlion Demarlion and Konkaytrpoopa made an odd discovery regarding a peculiar trophy. Remember how Starfy was grouped with the Fighter related category as far as trophies? And this was back when they were called by their Japanese names Stafy and Stapy respectively.

Why is this interesting? Because this implies a few things. Starfy was possibly considered for Brawl's roster during development, but they made him an Assist trophy and forgot to remove Starly from this trophy group. And the fact that Starly would had appeared in some victory animations with him. Her model also looks exactly like Starfy's too, same level of attention. And even his Assist trophy render looks way too high quality compared to other Assist trophies at the time. This does raise some eyebrows and could be very probable.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel we need to get some real discussion going here, but I found something worth talking about that concerns Starfy. Demarlion Demarlion and Konkaytrpoopa made an odd discovery regarding a peculiar trophy. Remember how Starfy was grouped with the Fighter related category as far as trophies? And this was back when they were called by their Japanese names Stafy and Stapy respectively.

Why is this interesting? Because this implies a few things. Starfy was possibly considered for Brawl's roster during development, but they made him an Assist trophy and forgot to remove Starly from this trophy group. And the fact that Starly would had appeared in some victory animations with him. Her model also looks exactly like Starfy's too, same level of attention. And even his Assist trophy render looks way too high quality compared to other Assist trophies at the time. This does raise some eyebrows and could be very probable.

Thoughts on this?
It would be interesting. However, if he was that far into development, why isn't Starfy one of the Forbidden Seven? Or could Pra_Mai be him? It would be strange for them to have scrubbed him clean, yet leave the others' data, and then forget to change Starly's category.

I'd love for Starfy to have been considered though, it would raise his profile and he might be revisited someday.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Thoughts on this?
and this was unique among assist trophies i take it

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Thoughts on this?
Oh, yeah. I've heard abou this before. People told me it was a mistake, but I find that a bit hard to believe...

andree123

Smash Ace
So, today's direct confirmed that there are more DLC fighters coming into smash as playables.

Are you hoping that spirit-to-fighter thing will happen?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, today's direct confirmed that there are more DLC fighters coming into smash as playables.

Are you hoping that spirit-to-fighter thing will happen?
Yes, we can all hope it happens. When one character is promoted, it will be enough proof that no character is truly deconfirmed. Sakurai once again proving that things are not as they seem.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Let’s go Tsubasa Orine!

Just kidding. I would be happy with anyone, but Saki or Waluigi would make me very happy.

So much for us getting “one fighter pass”.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is (to my knowledge) currently the best-selling fighting in history. Not calling anyone out here, but anyone who actally thought this game was only going to have ONE wave of DLC... well, look at where we are now.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Waluigi. Shovel Knight. Isaac. Bomberman. Spring Man.
That's my ideal Assist Pass.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well most of my most wanted are only spirits and not assists but theres still a few i hope get promoted

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I see both spirits and ATs capable of getting in. The next characters are opportunities meant to "satisfy the fans", I think anyone who we believed got cancelled has chances now. So in my case, Isaac and Geno are like the next K rool and Ridley in terms of high demand, crossing finger for those 2 at least!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I see both spirits and ATs capable of getting in. The next characters are opportunities meant to "satisfy the fans", I think anyone who we believed got cancelled has chances now. So in my case, Isaac and Geno are like the next K rool and Ridley in terms of high demand, crossing finger for those 2 at least!

Agreed. I see this as a good mindset.

People say the sky’s limit, but we are hitting the stars to get our most wanteds.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think Assist trophies can be promoted through DLC, but they can only be promoted in sequels, for example LIttle Mac was an assist trophy in Brawl, but he got promoted in Smash 4.

Spirits on the other hand can be promoted either way. Unlike assist trophies, they do not deconfirm fighters, as such Pikachu has a non-fighter spirit with no variation.
This seems like an arbitrary rule to me. Especially in this day and age when downloadable content is commonplace. Something happening a certain way doesn't make it a rule, I doubt Sakurai has even thought about it that way.

It seems like it comes down to whether you think there's a difference between an assist trophy being promoted from one game to another or an assist trophy being promoted in the same game. I would make the argument that with downloadable content now being more commonplace than ever the difference between these two events is almost non existent. (for what it's worth a game like Pokken has already promoted assist Pokemon to playable, and I'm sure there are examples from other fighting games)

Not just that but it's almost five years since the decision would have been made on which characters were assist trophies. To me that seems like a long time to be stuck with the same decision. Do you think if Sakurai saw demand for a character he'd be like "well I'd love to add your favourite character but because of a decision I made five years ago you're out of luck"

It just grinds my gears when it seems like people see assist trophies being promoted as the most impossible thing they can imagine. (not really talking to you here, just in general)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Not just that but it's almost five years since the decision would have been made on which characters were assist trophies. To me that seems like a long time to be stuck with the same decision. Do you think if Sakurai saw demand for a character he'd be like "well I'd love to add your favourite character but because of a decision I made five years ago you're out of luck"
So on the sliding scale of worst to best for characters who have a potential to be playable.

-1: Assist trophy
0: Not being included in the game at all (it's better than being an assist trophy (even if the character isn't going to be playable))
1: Playable character

So if a character who you want is an assist trophy, better luck next time (which is the next game), If you're character isn't an assist trophy and isn't revealed to be playable in the base game, then better luck now (which can be DLC).

You can still promote assist trophies to playable characters via modding, which is better than nothing. And then you can simply replace the assist trophy model with a character who looks similar and/or has similar proportions.

Also I can see a character getting revealed as playable, as victory for the supporters and Too Bad for detractors, when a character gets revealed as an assist trophy instead, it's vice versa.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You guys should check out the Skull Kid thread, we're trying to revitalise discussion there.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Agreed, you all should check them out.

This also reminds me, I should consider making some changes to the OP, maybe having a checklist of all support threads of the higher priorities Assists and Spirits, that would work.

Also to spark more discussion here, which characters you think should be on this checklist if I work on it?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Agreed, you all should check them out.

This also reminds me, I should consider making some changes to the OP, maybe having a checklist of all support threads of the higher priorities Assists and Spirits, that would work.

Also to spark more discussion here, which characters you think should be on this checklist if I work on it?
That's a very dangerous idea that alienate a lot of people.....

But definitely Skull Kid

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's a very dangerous idea that alienate a lot of people.....

But definitely Skull Kid
You may be right.

Trying to have all names and spirits may be too much work since we have hundreds of them. Which is why I should maybe have it so ones that are demanded or already have their own movements should be mentioned.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You guys should check out the Skull Kid thread, we're trying to revitalise discussion there.
Will do! it's been a while since I was there after loz betrayed us with his void teasing way back then and when… well… we didn't get SK. It feels good to try to be back

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After a while worth of thinking, I may attempt making this directory for the day.

I will start with Assists, based on which ones have support topics at all. And see where to go from there since hundreds of topics for spirits is the issue.

That way it shows who we are in favor of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom