• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Tech Skill Challenges

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I love tech skill. So do you :)
Feel free to post challenges for us to give a try.

Here is my collection of challenges for you:

Run off Fair DJ RNC Sweetspot

Shield Drop EC Dair DJ EC Dair Edgehog

Ledge Plat 5

Ledge Plat 6

Ledge Plat 7

Ledge Plat 8

Ledge Plat 9

Ledge Plat 10

Ledge Plat 1

Ledge Plat 2

Ledge Plat 3

Ledge Plat 4

Sticky Walk

Double Dash Dance

Ledge Dash Dash WD Smash Turn WD Back FF, drill on ICs target test stage

Ledge Drop WJ DJ Bair Onto Stage

Ledge Drop DJ Reverse Needle Turn WD Back Ledge Hog

Double RNC Ledge

Ledge Drop DJ RNC Fair Onto Stage

Pivot WD Back Edge Hog

Shield Pivot WD Back OoS Edge Hog

Side Platform Run Off DJ Upair Edge Cancel DJ Upair Edge Cancel Upair FF L-cancel

Six Edge Cancels Across Battle Field

Ledge Drop RNC DJ Bair onto stage

Ledge Drop Bair DJ Bair WJ Bair on Yoshi's

SH Fair Nair OoS

Ledge Drop RNC Fair Reverse UpB

Double Moonwalk

Side Platform MW Edge Hog

Sticky Walk Boost Grab

Charlie Grab

UpB Gliding Introduction/Inspiration

RNC FF Bair

MW RNC Fair

MW Bair

Top Platform Edge Cancel DJ RNC Edge Hog

Side Platform Run Off RNC Edge Hog

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
two more have been added to the top post

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I made them private. Noone responded so I figured stuff like this was of no interest. Lemme know if you wanna watch them anyway

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
just so u kno i made an account to tell u i had already favorited and playlisted these challenges of yours. They are GEMS among YouTube. Very fundamental outlook on how to build useful muscle memory. WE NEED MORE POSTS LIKE THIS BUDDY!!
It's akin to those "(X) Trials" videos. Probably my most gone-to video for a while. I'm telling you Trip, if you keep up with stuff like this, and people challenge you, this will be the new method of preliminary-practice techniques EVERYWHERE!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
just so u kno i made an account to tell u i had already favorited and playlisted these challenges of yours. They are GEMS among YouTube. Very fundamental outlook on how to build useful muscle memory. WE NEED MORE POSTS LIKE THIS BUDDY!!
It's akin to those "(X) Trials" videos. Probably my most gone-to video for a while. I'm telling you Trip, if you keep up with stuff like this, and people challenge you, this will be the new method of preliminary-practice techniques EVERYWHERE!
Haha thank you! It's posts like yours that motivates me. Please let me know which ones you like, what you like about them and what proved trouble in execusion.
It just so happens I got a good bit more of these uploaded already, I'll go ahead and post them up.
My hand is injured at the moment, so I can't work on new ones, but I will start up again soon.

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
fooking gnarley of u bra. fyi tho "Ledge Drop RNC Fair Reverse UpB" & "Sticky Walk Boost Grab" are the only ones still privated. Would b cool if u playlisted them as well on your YouTube if it's not too much trouble after adding any to dis list ^^ otherwise its no trouble to do it meself. Ur killin it Trip. I do have questions but I'ma try to successfully do them all before earning the right to question logistics.

:Edit:
One thing I have noticed along progressing through observation, is that Sheik's fastfalls are way overrated in the beginners minds-eye. One of those "noob habits" I've been trying to eradicate under such necessary conditions.

:Edit2: another thought + OP challenge!
UpB edge gliding, or "edge poofing" as i lamely called it, is perfect for new Sheik mains to get down. Great fun!
One hard thing i like trying with that is hard to explain but try it if u want:
[image battlefield, from left -> right, platforms A->B->C]
on platform A, u edge poof off its right edge (walk for this to minimize -> movement as much as possible while smoking)...
immediately hold back(+mayb a little up), and u'll instantly reappear & land much faster back on the ledge. The cool thing is u still have the last boost of the up B to direct, so u'll see sheik disappear AGAIN, & can obv AIM that up to Plat B, or wherever u want. Great confusion, try it! My challenge to u! :)

:Edit3: more conjecture comments
For any1 trying the 6 edge canceled Dairs around Battlefield (me included still), try his other challenge first, the edge canceled Uair's around BF. Because you'll notice the layout for a few 100% edge canceled ariels. Either walking or dashing off platform A & using ur DJ toward platform C, any aerial will edge cancel off of plat B before reaching plat C, as long as u never let go of moving horizontal (from a practicing standpoint anyway). Then try the advanced maneuvers. Helped me grasp the mechanics of it all better anyway. Peace.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
They should be viewable now. Try again

Regarding Sheik's SH. It all depends on what you want to do. In some cases it's actually beneficial not to FF. Rising Nair (OoS) and Rising Bair are examples where auto-cancelling outperforms FFL.
I wouldn't call FF overrated though.

Also, more challenges have been added

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
:Edit2: another thought + OP challenge!
UpB edge gliding, or "edge poofing" as i lamely called it, is perfect for new Sheik mains to get down. Great fun!
One hard thing i like trying with that is hard to explain but try it if u want:
[image battlefield, from left -> right, platforms A->B->C]
on platform A, u edge poof off its right edge (walk for this to minimize -> movement as much as possible while smoking)...
immediately hold back(+mayb a little up), and u'll instantly reappear & land much faster back on the ledge. The cool thing is u still have the last boost of the up B to direct, so u'll see sheik disappear AGAIN, & can obv AIM that up to Plat B, or wherever u want. Great confusion, try it! My challenge to u! :)
Interesting! I'll have to try that out asap!
I think thats what happens when I do Shino stalls on Yoshi's Story and I do the Shino a bit too high. You reappear for a split second on the side platform, which is indeed pretty cool.
Can you still reach platform C doing this?

Also regarding the 6 Edge Cancels, I got tips for the rising and descending ones. Lemme know if you wanna hear.
Number one tip I got for nailing all 6 in a row is to work on each individual one by itself before attempting the string. My personal goal is to go all the way back again, so 11 in a row ;)

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Interesting! I'll have to try that out asap!
I think thats what happens when I do Shino stalls on Yoshi's Story and I do the Shino a bit too high. You reappear for a split second on the side platform, which is indeed pretty cool.
Can you still reach platform C doing this?

Also regarding the 6 Edge Cancels, I got tips for the rising and descending ones. Lemme know if you wanna hear.
Number one tip I got for nailing all 6 in a row is to work on each individual one by itself before attempting the string. My personal goal is to go all the way back again, so 11 in a row ;)
Hell yes, was hoping u'd already posted some. Been trying the 6 edge cancels, I made it to last plat, but didn't get last 2 yet. I updated my playlist of ur vids so i'll list em when i'm done or having extreme difficulty with any.

Also, yes you can move to plat C from landing on A. The animations of it show that it's likely partially due to Sheik's "Quick-UpB plat-land" (since u noticed similar anim during shino-stall, i'd say that means upB plat-quick lands are same as UpB Edge-quick lands), hence why it allows u to still aim the boosting part of the UpB. I should say I also noticed (sadly it should've been obvious to me), u don't necessarily have to aim it "back" after "poofing", as the only requirement is you don't gain forward distance after "first light (first explosion off-ledge)", meaning u should only have to let go of what little forward u may b inputting as early as possible after first light. More testing needed, but it might ultimately depend on where u input up-b. i.e; inputting it as late/far off edge as possible, might allow more backward movement, or vice versa (i suspect the latter, & that u need to upb as early/away from edge as possible) to get the UpB quickland effect out of this "first light". Better name for the trick? XD

Oh, 1 more ting.. c:
Ur right I overstated myself saying FF is overrated. I only meant in a way that allowed me to see I've been using it way to much, almost for every high Air-atk. I think this is due to the beginner phase of wanting to practice SHFFLing. I only brought it up in case some1 read, and it helped them out earlier than i started correcting that (which was only about 2months ago).

2 more ting)):
I\ll fraps a quick vid of it to contribute to ur thread theme. Hopefully later I'll make some counter-challenges too.

saw teh newer ones, & just for the record....you're pretty insane if u can use all those in a match. If so, do you have any match videos up? I spent last 4 hours doing all those moonwalk/sticky grabs, they rly helped me grasp the physics of it. thx

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
During the handwamers of KK vs M2K at Impulse 2012 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AtINqM4tE), at around 30 s, KK shows off his run off the ledge RNC ledge grab, which M2K then tries and fails at. I've been trying to find info about it (I think I remember finding something KK wrote about it once), but can't find anything. I was wondering how it compares to pivot ledge grab. Your platform RNC ledgegrab reminded me of it.

Shrug

Smash Cadet
I think these tech skill challenges are really sick. Any chance you could add a brief explanation of how to perform them (sort of like this video's description)? I think I get how to do these, but having it explicitly stated would be really helpful.

Either way, I really like these. Thanks for putting all of these together.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Run-off RNC ledgehog is so hard..
It's stupid hard. I think it's a 2 frame window to press the direction after entering Fall.
But as with many things, practice makes perfect. Not that I can do it consitantly tho. That's a sexy ass edge hog tho

edit, I am glad you guys like these. If you need help with any, pls ask and I shall try my best to help.
One of these days I should, if there is enough demand for it, do a detailed describtion on execution for each

Last edited:

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
This **** is hella tight, I don't even play sheik but it's fun to screw around with stuff like this. Shoutouts to sheik moonwalking.

TRb

Smash Cadet
Right on, thanks man. Reminds me a bit of the Trials from SF

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Right on, thanks man. Reminds me a bit of the Trials from SF
1st post hype!
And you're 65 yrs old? It's like what I'm looking forward to in retirement, going up to some kids and being like, yo, you play melee?

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Awesome thanks for this, this is exactly what I was looking for to increase my technical skill level!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
That sticky walk boost grab.. I wanna see a Sheik do that in tournament LOOOL
I havent played a tournament match in ages. But I have only been able to land the damn thing once or twice in an actual match (charlie grab though). Sticky Walk Boost Grab aint that hard actually.

My goal was to do hard reads in tech chases and do that and the Charlie Grab (do we have enough frames though?)

It was sort of like a secret plan, but now my idea is out there w/e. I'll be more than happy to see anybody do it rather than myself

Last edited:

TRb

Smash Cadet
1st post hype!
And you're 65 yrs old? It's like what I'm looking forward to in retirement, going up to some kids and being like, yo, you play melee?
Hah yeah I don't think I've filled out an age prompt on a forum right -- habit from being 14 at one point in my life. I'm in my early 20's. I let the 65 years come up to me and then proceed to four stock em'

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Ugh I really need to learn to moonwalk. What is added to a MW to perform a sticky walk?
Learn to do moonwalks consistantly first. Then it will be much easier to grasp Sticky Walk. Lemme know when you are ready for sticky walk tips

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Alrigth I am back with more tech skill challenges!
They have been added to the top post!

And from now on they will be added as gfycats only!

(I am working on more as you read this)

UniClown

Smash Rookie
Got my elgato in the mail today and made some basic gfy's

drop bair dj bair. Easy to do but you have to do it quickly on Yoshis due to the shallow blast zones

drop bair dj bair wj fair

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Another have been added to the top post.
Shout outs to ArrestMe for having patience with me teaching how to get the inputs showing in the clip.
I will include this in any new clip that is being added

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
OP has be updated with
Ledge Dash Dash WD Smash Turn WD Back FF on IC's Target Test stage

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I am curious to see what people do for platform movement routines
In the following days I am gonna post some drills I like to do.
Back when I started out I really missed some inspirational videos for this specifically

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Run off Fair DJ RNC Sweetspot has been added to the top post

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I believe you have a 2 frame window for that one.
remember to
press back as soon as airborn.
let go of back as quickly as possible
press B and cancel the charge animation on frame 8

Top Bottom