• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Ledge Mechanic & JSC (Jump Squat Canceling)

SpawnSean

Low Tier Hero
NNID
SpawnSean
Have you ever wondered why sometimes when go offstage you lose your jump even though you know you didn't use your midair jump? This thread might help explain why that happened because there is this weird mechanic that Smash 4 has with it's ledges. By trotting towards a ledge (but not off the ledge) and performing some certain inputs will cause your character to perform a jump or immediately perform your midair jump. Some friends have called this the Mario 64 Long Jump cause its performed kinda weird.

After performing a dash/trot towards a ledge input one of these and your character will jump. [Excluding method 4]

Method 1: Inputting an attack
:GCR: :GCA:
Your character will perform a full hop when this is inputted.

Method 2: Inputting a jump

:GCR: (:GCY: or :GCX:)
Your character will perform their midair jump immediately when this is inputted.
You can also input an attack with the jump to have it come out as well.
Take note of how Mario immediately uses his midair jump as indicated but the white circles.

Method 3: Inputting a grab
:GCR: :GCZ:
Your character will perform a full hop when this is inputted.

Method 4: A+B Smash Attack
:GCR: :GCA:+:GCB:
Run towards a ledge then right before you leave the ledge press A+B together and you should perform the full hop.

Why this happens I really have no idea, but it happens. Please take note of this when edge guarding. This can also be performed on platforms.

JSC (Jump Squat Canceling)

By performing any of the methods to get the jump, it will bypass the jump squat animation for your character. This will speed up characters like Bowser or Ganondorf just a bit more. This is only a few frame, but in competitive smash, every frame counts. Also by performing this you can still maintain your second jump (except for method 2).

You might be able to combine this tech with characters who have special moves that cancel vertical or horizontal momentum.

There may be even more ways to do this or maybe more implications of this, but this is what I have discovered so far.
Feel free to DM me if you have found any other uses or ways to perform this.

Misc. Info

I find this tech to be very useful for character with dash grab that slide, like Captain Falcon.
This tech can be pretty useful with the Bidou control scheme since you can input the dash right at the ledge.

Last edited:

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Great thread, I have killed myself numerous times from dashing towards the ledge and jumping immediately into my mid air jump thinking it was simply my initial jump. I will have to look out for the white circles. Thanks!

Literal Bacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
LiteralBacon
3DS FC
0920-1176-2299
Yo didn't know other people found this, I was labbing it quite a while ago.
If you have A+B to smash on, you can do aerials much more quickly if you have c stick set to tilts (since when you hold A attacks don't come out).
If you use the grab method that doesn't matter though.
Also the reason it's always a full hop is because full hops and short hops are dependant on whether or not you let go of the jump input during jumpsquat frames. Because you're bypassing all of them, you can't let go of A to shorthop.
You could also include the information that, because it's a full hop, you still retain your double jump.

Literal Bacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
LiteralBacon
3DS FC
0920-1176-2299
I've been working on a video for this for a while, would you mind?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Nice find. I wonder if there are other weird things programmed in with dash inputs...there seems to be a number of interesting things we can do within the first frames of dashing and walking (bidou).

If there was only a way to do stuff like getting a slide like boost smashes/DACUS in Brawl.

Top Bottom