• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly (or otherwise) Article on discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you believe someone is especially capable at articulation/writing with a keen Smash 4 interest, then we're looking for those types: NOW.

@Venus of the Desert Bloom @Marc @The Derrit ; I believe this most applies to your interests.

We have two mechanical discoveries new to the series in both Vectoring and "Rage". We haven't already made news posts for these, we should consider a format/process that allows this result. "As they happen" articles can easily be poorly timed/executed and bite us in the butt, so a refined system would be beneficial where we draft things together and group critique before publishing.

We need to create a news article to cover these discoveries either way, and any help is appreciated. If you would like to take up the mantle of drafting up a concise article for these, we can work together to nut out details. Right now the following topics are of interest and accompanied are 'sources' I believe would be helpful

Vectoring: Strong Bad @kupo15 Aerodrome @Jaxas
Rage: @ChiboSempai Aerodrome @Amazing Ampharos

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What about the phantom lag / RCO lag? Someone with a japanese 3DS could find that. I know Mario, pikachu, and megaman can get it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd be happy to make something specifically for Megaman, but I have no way of recording video of any quality. :(

D

Deleted member 245254

I love informative writing and I have a knack for articulation combined with a pretty wide vocabulary. I also have capturing software and I'd be willing to accompany any and all public research findings with some convenient video.

I would not mind sharing the floor with another back room member (maybe Overswarm if he is so inclined?), because two heads are always better than one!

Consider this throwing my hat in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
While I know these videos aren't ours, there is a user on YouTube who has been posting excellent videos with competitively-relevant content as of late. The first was on MK's fair spike > dtilt lock, and the second was on Wario's air release mechanic still being exploitable. Here's a link to his channel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szd9f7i1Qo8

IMO, we should reach out to this person ASAP. They seem like someone that would be able to provide useful videos for our articles, and just an all-around useful contributor.

D

Deleted member 245254

I will be writing an article on Rage, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about initiating a public forum on the new DI with so many things still a bit unclear. What we know still seems inconclusive. Thoughts? What else can I group in to the article so that I can cover more than just Rage?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well an overview of returning mechanics could be received very well.
Certain misnomers addressed (auto cancelling for example).

Otherwise the common things being brought up (as Ishie mentioned) are these multi hit moves that can spike if not all hits connect.
Custom equipment

A lot of threads popping up about campy play (I'm guessing roll spam on wifi).
Not sure if there is as much there in terms of objective information giving, but eh.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Maybe an article on punishing rolls in this game? Rolls def got buffed since Brawl and with Wi-Fi's lag rolls are ridiculous.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Or someone just sit down with the Miis and record a video of them doing u-tilt chains and running across FD and the like and syncing it.

Short/Skiny, Tall/SKinny, Short/Fat, Tall/Fat

no one knows the differences D:

D

Deleted member 245254

Or someone just sit down with the Miis and record a video of them doing u-tilt chains and running across FD and the like and syncing it.

Short/Skiny, Tall/SKinny, Short/Fat, Tall/Fat

no one knows the differences D:
So I should demonstrate the difference between all 4 of those variations? Assuming Mii's are legal is it inevitable that it would be reduced to those complexions?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
They are the maximum variations. It's possible someone might want something slightly in the middle or in-between. There's lots of variations possible!

But if you wanted a faster one, you'd probably want it as fast as possible. Ditto with strength. A video of the middle sized Mii with the comparison (standard) might be a good thing to add as well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So I have a better idea than "weekly articles".

We have people with 3DS capture cards. Why not have an online "matchup" tournament?

We could handpick characters that are fan favorites like Megaman or Greninja or "trouble characters" like Little Mac, Sheik, and Bowser and then pit them against each other.

So we could say "Overswarm, you play Megaman. So does player X, Y, and Z. You four will play Megaman against Players A, B, C, and D who are all playing Little Mac".

Instead of a long drawn out crew battle, we'd just have four 1v1s. Do a 3 stock match on whatever stage we want to showcase and then have the "score" be the amount of stocks you have left and post the videos and the results up on the front page of smashboards.

So I play Player A and he 2 stocks me. +2 for Lil Mac.
Player X plays player B and two stocks him. +2 for Megaman.
Player Y plays player C and wins by one stock. +1 for Megaman.
Player Z plays player D and wins by one stock. +1 for Megaman.

Megaman wins with +2 score.

We post the videos online and people get to see the matchup played by people who know the character and we can advance the metagame at the same time. All the people that say "oh, little mac is broken" or "Bowser is unstoppable and too strong" can watch Lil Mac get edge camped and Bowser get wrecked by Sheik.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
That definitely seems like a cool idea, especially since there seem to be a LOT of people whining in particular about Little Mac. Showcasing a particular character on a variety of stages/against different characters would definitely be beneficial for those who watch videos to learn.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It might be more beneficial to just showcase two characters at a time; if we have 4 Megaman and 4 Little Mac and little mac absolutely destroys 3 of the Megaman players but the 4th one has it "figured out", it advances knowledge rather than detracts from it. With 4 different characters we can showcase only one character at a time, so it's more of an expose and less of a knowledge granting exercise

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Agreed, one character pair is the right way to go. I wouldn't want this to be used for matchups right now tbh, although it would be great for a loose idea and also an awesome way for people to learn some basics of the matchup + see what areas can be improved by looking through what worked and what didn't between the four different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom