• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Weekly AMA: Ben Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
1625619151482.png
Ben Holt

This AMA's subject has ben places, Ben Holt!

As always, all site rules are in effect. Please try and limit yourself to one post containing up to three questions until Ben Holt has answered, then you may ask more. And when asking questions, please keep it civil. Have fun! If you're curious about if you're on the list of future AMAs, refer to this post over in the Social thread. If you're not and you'd like to be added, please send me a message. Even if you've been a subject in the past, you're free to go again! We'll try to draw one name for an AMA each week, so stay tuned! And if you wanna check out some of the older AMAs, please refer to this post in the Social Thread

Alright, Ben Holt Ben Holt , you ready?

I'll start:
  1. What's your prediction for the last character of Fighters Pass Vol 2 and Smash Ultimate in general?
  2. What's your favorite part about Smashboards?
  3. Waffles or Pancakes?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
  1. What's your prediction for the last character of Fighters Pass Vol 2 and Smash Ultimate in general?
  2. What's your favorite part about Smashboards?
  3. Waffles or Pancakes?
1. Who do I think FP11 is? Crash. Though my confidence has waned on him because he was my most wanted character even back in Smash 4 before the N. Same Trilogy (he was my vote in the Fighter Ballot until I changed it to Banjo after Phil Spencer's Tweet). When he had six opportunities to be in Pass 2, I was extremely confident in his inclusion, but now that it's down to the last character, I'd be a fool to put all my eggs in one basket.

HOWEVER...

Who do I think the last character is? Master Chief. I believe the the Australian website leak is true. Historically, the most accurate leaks have been internal Nintendo ****ups (Remember Bloody Tears, Box Theory, and Copyright SNK?), and I feel that this is one of those occasions.
The reason I say Master Chief is for a few reasons. Vergeben, despite being caught with egg on his face this E3, has rarely made predictions that didn't come to pass eventually, even if the timing was off. And he clearly hinted Master Chief. Secondly, The Game Awards have revealed a Smash newcomer 2 out of 3 times, and they just happened to be characters from games nominated for Game of the Year on their respective years. And Halo Infinite is scheduled for a 2021 release, so the chance of it getting nominated for Game of the Year seems high to me. And the tagline "Master Chief Finishes the Fight" is just too perfect for a surprise final reveal. And yes, I think it'll truly be a surprise, as I think they'll play coy and act like FP11 is the final character.

Though Champions seems oddly plausible if we read into Sakurai's "it'll be a while" statement. 4 characters in 1 would certainly justify a longer wait.

Sorry. Long answer.

2. This is where I'd say the DMs I get from beautiful women that share my interest in Nintendo games.
ifohad-one-auickmeme-com-if-i-had-one-imgur-51634839.png

So instead, I'd say that I enjoy the Social Thread as well as the Speculation Thread (Yea, I'm basic.), considering that the best part of any Smash game really is the hype cycle. It's truly an example of the journey being greater than the destination. The climax of Smash Bros. is not the moment new characters are released, but when they are announced. Whether they're disappointing (Pyra), pleasant surprises (Sephiroth), or totally expected but super hype (Banjo), the buildup, suspense, and eventual climax truly is far more exciting than watching tournament finals to me.

3. Waffles, because I love Belgian waffles. But for syrup, I prefer pancakes because they soak in the syrup like a sponge whereas the waffles contain it in the little squares. Syrup ruins Belgian waffles, but since I prefer Belgian waffles over pancakes with syrup, the winner is waffles.

KillerCage

Smash Master
1) Favorite game genre(s)?

2) Favorite prehistoric animal(s)?

3) Will you give Wesker an egg? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
1) Favorite game genre(s)?
I could make a joke explicitly, but SmashBoards would get mad at me. So I'll just imply it by saying dress up games. :4pacman:

But in all seriousness, 3D Platformers. While my pallet is actually quite broad, as I've gotten addicted to games of all genres before (Competitive Pokémon, TF2, Breath of the Wild, Among Us, Fall Guys, Mario Kart, etc), my consistent favorites always tend to be 3D Platformers. To this day, I could replay Mario Galaxy or 64 and have just as much fun today as I did years ago.

2) Favorite prehistoric animal(s)?
Quetzalcoatlus. I wish I could fly across the Pacific Ocean without growing tired.

3) Will you give Wesker an egg? :4pacman:
A rotten egg, sure.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. Do you play any fighting games besides smash?

2. What’s your favourite story you’ve ever played through in a video game or video game series?

3. What’s your favourite TV show (if you watch any)?

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
4) Favorite 3D platformer(s) (excluding Mario 64 and Galaxy?)

5) Favorite mineral(s)?

6) Are you a Beefuru muncher? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
1. Do you play any fighting games besides smash?
Yes. I've been a Street Fighter fan for a while (Anyone wanna play Ultra SFII?), and when I had a PC, I really enjoyed Injustice. I played Tekken as a kid on my friend's PlayStation. I dabbled in the two Mega Man fighting games on Megan Man Anniversary Collection when the GameCube was around. I enjoy any Street Fighter spinoffs like Marvel vs. Capcom and Street Fighter × Tekken. I've played Mortal Kombat as well, but I strongly prefer Street Fighter as the 2D Fighter king. My favorite "Mortal Kombat" game is the DC Crossover fighter, Injustice. I also have Pokken, Mark of the Wolves, and Dragon Ball Fighterz currently on Switch. Gengar, Terry, and Frieza main respectively.

I don't necessarily go out and seek out more obscure fighters, but I'd say that I've dabbled in the genre quite well.

2. What’s your favourite story you’ve ever played through in a video game or video game series?
I'm a weirdo that doesn't really get engaged into video game stories much. I generally prefer action.
But that being said, Sonic Adventure 2 was surprisingly deep, and Klonoa legit made me cry without resorting to death. I don't want to spoil the end, but it literally just throws a sad at you at the very end for no reason. The game wouldn't have been affected had it not been thrown in. But they threw it in anyway.

3. What’s your favourite TV show (if you watch any)?
That I'm currently watching, Castlevania.
Historically, The Simpsons, George Lopez, Behind the Music, Trailer Park Boys, South Park, and pretty much any mainstream anime. I liked the Tittylicious nature of Kill la Kill, but that's more of an exception. I like ANY erotic fiction.

4) Favorite 3D platformer(s) (excluding Mario 64 and Galaxy?)
Unironically, the other Mario games. Lol. I hope the 3D World formula branches off into a third main series Mario pillar (2D, Sandbox 3D, and 3D World style).
But Crash 4 is the best recent non-Mario platformer, and I really like Sonic Adventure 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Pac Man World 1 & 2 (3 was meh.), Conker's Bad Fur Day, the entire Spyro trilogy, and Little Big Planet (Does that count? It has some 3D elements.).
I tried Knack, and it was as underwhelming as people said it was.

5) Favorite mineral(s)?
Oof. Ask SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 . I loooooove futuristic materials to make armor out of. I like carbon nanotubes that make Vantablack paint. I think rubber, and other plastics are cool as a cucumber. Titanium is one of my favorites. Graphine shows a lot of promise for the future. But my favorite materials recently have been metal foam and liquid armor for thier potential as body armor.
I guess the common mineral to most of these is carbon, though. So I guess my favorite mineral overall is carbon.

6) Are you a Beefuru muncher? :4pacman:
I'm not sure what this is, but I assume it has something to do with beef.
I am actually a vegetarian, but I like the new plant-based Beyond Burgers.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sup?

1. Favorite Pokémon?
2. You have to be trapped in a room with a Gorilla or a Crocodile. They’re both pissed. Which do you choose?
3. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?

KillerCage

Smash Master
7) Favorite film genre(s)?

8) Favorite moon(s) in our solar system excluding our own moon?

9) Are you Speed Racer's brother Rex Racer? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sorry for the wait. I had to get up early to take my father to the hospital.
So I've been in
FB_IMG_1624126094473.jpg

all day.

1. Favorite Pokémon?
Dragonite, Gengar, and Mewtwo.

2. You have to be trapped in a room with a Gorilla or a Crocodile. They’re both pissed. Which do you choose?
Easily crocodile. I know how to tame them, and if you hold thier mouth shut, they can't hurt you. Gorillas are not so simple.

3. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?
I actually already write stories for an RPG video I'd like to publish and eventually make into an anime, so I will describe that.

Like Naruto, there are 1,000 substitutes with each character having their own journey, but the protagonist is a guy named Ultradamien, and the main antagonist is his brother, Darmin.
The story takes place in a post-Utopian future in the year 3994. Peace is disturbed when a villain named White reestablishes global Capitalism and takes complete control of Earth, putting the world in political instability. He is eventually exiled into space, but the damage to the world has been done, so it's in a period of reconstruction.
One of White's former associates, Dr. Gwenin spends his life creating a hero for the world by mixing genetic material of all things on Earth as well as non-living things. He named this hero, "Darmin". After creating a new species, Dr. Gwenin names it "ultra" and compresses the genetic material into a pill that the Dr. consumes for himself should Darmin ever need a counterbalance. Two years later, Dr. Gwenin impregnates his wife and his wife immediately gives birth to another ultra. Being an unexpected birth, Dr. Gwenin asks the newborn to name itself. The newborn ultra names himself "Ultradamien" by mixing the name of his species with a masculinized version of his mother's name, Demonia.
Skip forward a few chapters of character building, and Darmin witnesses his human girlfriend commit suicide, causing his heart to harden over time, going from the savior of Earth to a selfish being seeking meaning in his existence. Darmin represents the cynical, selfish side of the writer. Ultradamien represents the idealistic, altruistic side of the writer, as he always wants to do what is right by his human peers.

Another long answer, I know. Sorry. 😜

7) Favorite film genre(s)?
Unironically, Erotica.
But for a more family friendly answer, I'm not sure if I could decide. I don't actively search for too many films outside of the mainstream. I would say comedy, but comedy films don't age well due to a joke only being able to be funny a certain number of times. Same with horror. You can only really be shocked once.
This isn't exactly a genre, but I like movies like Kung Fu Panda where the underdog becomes the hero. I also like documentaries, as I enjoy learning about new things. Action films, especially Superhero films tend to have a lot of replay value.
Sorry that I cannot really give a definitive answer, but I never really even look at films through the lens of genres.

8) Favorite moon(s) in our solar system excluding our own moon?
The moon isn't real. It's a night light. The Earth is flat.
(I don't really have an answer. Our moon is the only one that matters.)

9) Are you Speed Racer's brother Rex Racer? :4pacman:
No. I am speed. I'm Lightning McQueen.

KillerCage

Smash Master
10) Favorite film(s)?

11) Which place(s) in the world would you like to visit the most?

12) Why are there 6 pedals when there are only 4 directions? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
10) Favorite film(s)?
School of Rock, Beerfest, Toy Story 2, Kung Fu Panda, The Nutty Professor, Batman 89, Planet of the Apes (Original. I hate the 2001 Remake), Robocop, Plague Dogs, Cars, Disney's Tarzan, The Dark Knight, Shrek...

All movies I like off the top of my head.

11) Which place(s) in the world would you like to visit the most?
The United Global Commune.
But as far existing countries, I'd like to visit Super Nintendo World in Japan. I dislike Russia's government, but it has a lot of beautiful cultural landmarks. I think St. Basil's Cathedral is the most beautiful building on Earth. Dubai, UAE has done a lot of modernizing to make their city a beautiful tourist area, but the Anti-LGBT laws are cringe. Who DOESN'T want to visit Venice, Italy? And of course, I've always wanted to take safaris is the Amazon and Central Africa.

12) Why are there 6 pedals when there are only 4 directions? :4pacman:
I am not bound by 3-dimensional space, so I can go in any direction I want.

1. What are your favorite topics of discussion
Nerd stuff like video games, biology, mathematics, political science, theoretical physics, guns and armor, swords, and women / femboys.
Yes. I am a thirsty boii.

2. How do you approach paradoxes?
While I exist unbound by physics, I will explain my approach by using a human-level example.
Imagine a flat-lander asking you to make a square circle. While this seems impossible, once you add the third spacial dimension, you can create a cylinder whose height is equal to its base. This is a single figure whose cross sections can form either a square or a circle while being one solid figure.

3. Do you eat ice cream? If so, what flavors do you like most.
Yes. I love ice cream. My favorite common flavor is strawberry. But there's a regional flavor called "Superman" that's even better. Unfortunately, this is a regional flavor, and I only know of one store that sells it, so you may have to make a pilgrimage to find it. It's sold by Mayfield.
I also like Cotton Candy and Oreo flavors from Baskin Robbins.

KillerCage

Smash Master
13) Favorite Twitch streamer(s)?

14) Favorite arthropod(s)?

15) What would you buy from Waluigi's bridal boutique? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
13) Favorite Twitch streamer(s)?
I prefer not to answer that outright. My former friend whom I had a crush on was a small Twitch streamer, and she shattered my heart to pieces the day after I confessed feelings for her, so Twitch as a whole kinda gives me PTSD.

14) Favorite arthropod(s)?
King Crabs.

15) What would you buy from Waluigi's bridal boutique? :4pacman:
Stinky shoe scented purple and yellow flowers.

KillerCage

Smash Master
16) Favorite Youtuber(s)?

17) Favorite science subject(s)?

18) Would you kill Hayabusa with kindness... and bullets? :4pacman:

KillerCage

Smash Master
19) Favorite anime?

20) Favorite type of math?

21) Ever heard of the Metropolitan Mutant of Ark? :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

KillerCage

Smash Master
22) Favorite cartoon(s)?

23) Do you watch Death Battle?

24) Would you duel Wario for 1 coin? :4pacman:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
1. What five Smash Bros. characters would you delegate to do which jobs?

2. Do you have any favorite sports?

3. Is this a . question ? a is This, or is it?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
22) Favorite cartoon(s)?
Kids? Ed, Edd, N' Eddy.
Adult? The Simpsons.

23) Do you watch Death Battle?
Occasionally, but not religiously.
Particularly if it's a character I particularly like.

24) Would you duel Wario for 1 coin? :4pacman:
If you do the math on how much gold is in one Mario coin, that's easily hundreds of millions of dollars worth of gold.
I'm sure I could take on some gassy obese manlet for that prize.

1. What five Smash Bros. characters would you delegate to do which jobs?
:ultdoc:: Doctor.
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultcharizard::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultridley::ultlucario::ultyoshi::ultwolf::ultbanjokazooie::ultkingdedede::ultisabelle:: Pets.
:ultmario::ultluigi:: Plumbing.
:ultrob:: Jukebox.
:ultpiranha:: Gardener
:ultmewtwo:: Lie detector.
:ultmegaman:: Computers.
:ultsteve::ultvillager::ultsnake:: Construction / demolition.
:ultwario:: Chemical weapons manufacturer.
:ultpacman:: Garbage disposal.
:ultwiifittrainerm:: Personal trainer.
:ultolimar:: Small-space cleaner.
:ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultrobin:: Electricity generation.
:ultjigglypuff:: Sleep inducer
:ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultganondorf::ultike::ultjoker::ultkazuya::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultsephiroth::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ult_terry:: Security.
:ulthero3::ultjoker:: Boyfriend.
:ultkirby::ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultminmin:ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultrobinf::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultalex::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:: Personal entertainment.
:ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultlucas::ultness::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:: Child labor is illegal.

2. Do you have any favorite sports?
Shooting, airsoft, boxing, fencing, etc. Contact sports.

3. Is this a .question? a is This, or is it?
0baa82b382891b483f0c74713276c03c.png

KillerCage

Smash Master
25) Favorite music genre(s)?

26) Favorite Death Battle episode(s)?

27) Would you like Agent G play his 7@(%!#& music? :4pacman:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Final set of questions:

28) Favorite Heavy Metal songs?

29) Favorite web show(s)?

30) WHAT KILLED THE ICE AGE!? :4pacman: