• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Need to Talk About Toad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I know there's already a thread for supporting Toad, but this is about something different so I thought it warranted it's own thread. So I've noticed a trend ever since Super Smash Bros Ultimate was announced, as well as since the announcements of Ridley, Simon Belmont, and King K. Rool. With many of this games character slots being directed towards classic video game characters, it seems fan support as shifted significantly. Classic characters like Banjo-Kazooie and Skull Kid's fanbases have grown signiifcantly, while more "recent" characters like Chorus Men and ______ seem to be losing relevancy in newcomer speculation. Somewhere in the middle of this is Captain Toad. He's not a new character, but rather an old character who is still relevant today. He seems to be the perfect pit in Smash for me, as he has a long standing history with Nintendo, has appeared in almost as many games as Mario, starred in his own as Captain Toad, and in all honesty is the most iconic 1st party not in the game (Isaac and Dixie Kong are the only real competition). So it's just kind of confusing to me that his fanbase seems to have shrunken. It's come to the point where I don't think he stands a chance making it into Smash Ultimate. I mean with so few spots and so many popular choices, could he still be included? Plus there's the debate over whether he would just be Toad or Captain Toad, and it doesn't seem the fans seem to decide. Sakurai might not want to divide the community by picking one over the other. What he does have going for him is during the ballot days Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was doing well and popular. I'm sure he performed good in the ballot, but his chances seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer. To me he's always seem long overdue for Smash. If this game wasn't aimed so directly at fan service, I think he'd be a lock for it. But, with the direction the game is traveling, I don't seem him making the cut this time around, which is really sad to me. What do you think? Do you support Toad in Smash? Do you think he would appear as Toad or Captain Toad? I always thought he could be Toad and his final smash could transform him.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
I think captain toad would have a greater chance than regular toad cuz he has his own game. Tho I'm curious about his jumping because he can't jump due to his large backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom