• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We need the ability to grab Sandbag in the waiting room.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
So, it was never that big a deal before...but now, here I am, sitting in the waiting room waiting for a tourney. "Not a bad thing" I thought "I can use it to practice some combos."

But, you see, I'm a :4dedede:, and over half of my combos involve grabs. So here I am, unable to really warm up.

Really, I don't know why we can't grab it, and basically treat it as a normal character. Eating it over and over is only funny so many times...ah, who am I kidding, it's always funny. But I would like to warm up too.

ewic

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2363-5634-0009
I agree it would be nice to grab the sandbag.

I'm guessing one reason for this is because Z is mapped to turn the microphone on/off if you're in your own lobby?... Silly reason if you ask me.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
They should lock microphone to d-pad over taunts and make the sand bag like enemies in smash run where you can still grab them. Either that or just make the tournament waiting lobby a dummy duplicate of the character you're using

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Or better yet, give you a CPU to play against. They do it in FG so I'm not really sure why they opted for the sandbag here.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Just make Character!Bag. Hell, add him in as a DLC character! I'd buy it, and I think he'd be a good joke character. Maybe not DLC, though, because buying potential might go down.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai coated Sandbag in lard, hence our inability to strange him/her/it.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I'd rather they just replace the entire lobby with training mode and I can spawn as many sandbags as I want while I wait.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

_gold_

Smash Master
I completely agree! There have been numerous times where I wanted to practice some of my combos, but the sandbag prevented me from doing so. Having like a lvl 1 CPU to toy with would make more sense than a sandbag. The CPU would also try to recover if you get it off stage. This would allow you to practice your edge guarding as well.

D

Deleted member 269706

I agree it would be nice to grab the sandbag.

I'm guessing one reason for this is because Z is mapped to turn the microphone on/off if you're in your own lobby?... Silly reason if you ask me.
Even if you remap grab, you still can't grab it. I use Y for reference. But I agree with everyone else in this thread. I don't understand why we get a CPU while waiting in For Glory or For Fun, but we get a sandbag while in an actual lobby. Just doesn't really make sense to me :/

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
All they need to do is tweak Sandbag's code to be grabbable as a character would. Even if it means making an alternate element for the grabbable Sandbag. I think Sakurai and the devs wouldn't do it until they find a way to alter weight values for him so your training could be more accurate to your opponent's character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, I agree. I main Duck Hunt, obviously, and I need to warm up... work on my combos following grabs and throws. It's a shame I cannot do that with Sandbag... it's even annoying when I'm testing custom moves with any character and I cannot grab/throw Sandbag.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
original poster - sorry but this idea makes way too much sense for Nintendo to implement it.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Yeah, I think this makes sense as well.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I dunno... I like the little CPU they give me in For Glory, but there's something so satisfying about Sandbag. He doesn't make a common appearance in this game, so I take my time alone with him very seriously. I like to practice other sorts of combos, without the use of grabs, which helped me find out more about my characters tremendously. As a Mario main, I know how important grab combos are, but I practice them enough in-battle and while waiting on FG/FF... While allowing Sandbag to be grabbed wouldn't hurt, it definitely helped me find out other options in a scenario should I be unable to grab my opponent. And for that, I am very appreciative.

D

Deleted member

Makes perfect sense. Kind of annoying when you want to practice for a while and you can't throw it or anything.

I find myself thinking the same thing when testing custom characters. If I can't test grabs, it's largely useless to me and I have to save an incomplete build and test it in Training.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
I agree. It seems like an odd decision to replace the other CPU opponent with a sandbag. But yeah, thanks for acknowledging that repeatedly eating the sand bag as DDD is the only proper thing you can do while you wait.
I'd rather they just replace the entire lobby with training mode and I can spawn as many sandbags as I want while I wait.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This makes so much sense. Want to fight the CPU? Go ahead. Want to practice your grabs on a stationary CPU? The option's right there. Just feel like hanging out with the sand bag? You can do that, too!

Super Ocebe

Smash Cadet
NNID
EckartGreiner
So, it was never that big a deal before...but now, here I am, sitting in the waiting room waiting for a tourney. "Not a bad thing" I thought "I can use it to practice some combos."

But, you see, I'm a :4dedede:, and over half of my combos involve grabs. So here I am, unable to really warm up.

Really, I don't know why we can't grab it, and basically treat it as a normal character. Eating it over and over is only funny so many times...ah, who am I kidding, it's always funny. But I would like to warm up too.
True.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Just make Character!Bag. Hell, add him in as a DLC character! I'd buy it, and I think he'd be a good joke character. Maybe not DLC, though, because buying potential might go down.
Sandbag was a character in Melee and he was pretty fun to play as (which required a hacking device) .I am not sure about all of this, but this is what I remember:

Pros
-high jump
-high air jump
-not slow

Cons
-no kill moves
-no damage racking moves
-no shield
-no grab

Also he often froze the game which can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Sandbag was a character in Melee and he was pretty fun to play as (which required a hacking device) .I am not sure about all of this, but this is what I remember:

Pros
-high jump
-high air jump
-not slow

Cons
-no kill moves
-no damage racking moves
-no shield
-no grab

Also he often froze the game which can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.
Huh, that's actually really cool!

Also, Project M, please? I mean, you already put Ryu in the game :lucario:, so Sandbag wouldn't be that big of a stretch, would it?

Venom | Infinity

Smash Rookie
If we can grab sandbag, then with items on, or waiting room we would be able to practice wile having fun. Think about that Sakurai.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

Pros
-high jump
-high air jump
-not slow

Cons
-no kill moves
-no damage racking moves
-no shield
-no grab

Makes me wish the same was true in Brawl because Sandbag's Final Smash.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I definitely agree with you. I like to use grabs a lot with most of the characters I play, so it would be really helpful.

Top Bottom