• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We have Omega mode and Battlefield mode; now we need Smashville mode

Quillion

Smash Hero
Smashville is by far the most favored stage by the whole competitive community thanks to balancing the biggest advantages of both FD and Battlefield, so it seems most appropriate that they should have a Smashville mode to complement the other two.

And it doesn't really feel like they need to do much work to implement Smashville mode stages either; all they have to do is take one of the Battlefield mode platforms and make it float back and forth above the base platform. Just stretch or shrink the models of all of the platforms, and everything's fine. Heck, even Melee hackers, with all their limitations, were able to turn Fourside into Melee's own Smashville. The Smash team can do that and much more.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It may not seem like it would take much work, but it's not effortless. The difference between a big team who has to make a great package for as many people as possible and a small group of people with a very specific goal also shouldn't be understated.

Yes, it obviously could be done, but, Omega modes, Battlefield modes and now stage hazard toggle are plenty of features given to people who want to play on competitively balanced stages. At a certain point they need to make new content instead of just giving a relatively small number of people every single option that could be imagined.

Even as a relatively competitive player, if I want to play on Smashville, I'll just play on Smashville. I'd rather they take that time to design new, unique stages, whether they be a perfect fit for 1v1 matches or not.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I wouldn’t say no to Smashville versions at all. I welcome all customizations available that don’t get in the way of dev time for gameplay balance.

I just don’t know if Nintendo wants to realize that we dictate what’s legal. FD and Battlefield are clearly the stages built around competitive balance and don’t have origin. Smashville is player appreciated. Maybe they listen more now though- maybe it’ll come in the future.

I’m all for it, but I’m not even thinking about Smash 6 yet and it’s definitely not coming in ultimate.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm not against the idea at all and would be A-ok with it.

But I doubt they would do it at this point given where development is.

I hate smashville.

Personally, I liked it in Brawl for platform canceling, but now it just favors characters like Sheik in smash 4 or characters who can set opponents up on platform and put them in impossible to recover situations.

I mean it’s a solid stage, it’s great for competitive play, but I’m personally tired of it. At least omega smashville would be great for music and atmosphere.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
It could be cool, but, real question, if they use the Battlefields or Omegas as a base, even if they are indeed standardized now, that standard would not match Smashville’s thinner main platform + the blast zones might not match, so, would the alts even be allowed in tournaments as people are more used to vanilla Smashville? Making a Smashville width main platform for every stage would be tons of work.

Really though, an even better thing would be to have a wide variety of platform layouts available and have the platforms be placed at runtime so that it’d be minimal effort to make them all.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It could be cool, but, real question, if they use the Battlefields or Omegas as a base, even if they are indeed standardized now, that standard would not match Smashville’s thinner main platform + the blast zones might not match, so, would the alts even be allowed in tournaments as people are more used to vanilla Smashville? Making a Smashville width main platform for every stage would be tons of work.

Really though, an even better thing would be to have a wide variety of platform layouts available and have the platforms be placed at runtime so that it’d be minimal effort to make them all.
The FD mode stages already match Smashville's base quite well; I don't see a problem.

All they need to do to make a Smashville length soft platform is enlarge one of the Battlefield mode platforms and set it to move around.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
I was just thinking about this. Since SV and FD have almost identical blast zones it would so easy to do. They could just take the omega form and add a single moving platform and call it close enough if they really wanted. The only issue is FD and BF are more long standing stages, notably that both were sort of flagship stages in Melee and every iteration of smash since. While SV has taken the crown as the typical go to starter its popularity is largely a product of its use in competitive whereas BF and FD are main stays among casual players as well.

But with that said I still think it should happen. Smashville without the Animal Crossing music over and over with be a godsend. After FD and BF versions of a stage I think SV is the obvious 3rd choice. There's honestly not too much reason they couldn't also do a pokemon stadium version while they're at it. Since they've already said they aren't bringing back every stage and we haven't seen a lot to indicate an influx of new stages this would be the best solution. When selecting a stage just hit a single button on your controller for Omega, BF (maybe call it Beta) and just use other Greek letters for other variants like Zeta or Sigma.

Most people selected particular Omega versions of stages in sm4sh based on theme/music so why not give people a handful of options instead of just limiting it to a 2nd option for the stage. PM Legacy 2.0's build has that feature built in to just hold this button and hit A and you get a variant of the stage. No reason to think Nintendo couldn't implement the exact same feature.

Top Bottom