• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Did It!

Like?

• Total voters

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
YES! I always secretly rooted for Petey Piranha but I never thought it was likely. This is even better!

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
This reveal was made by Piranha Plant Gang.

For all the potential disappointment this could've brought some, I am beyond excited for this character. LOL

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Didn't saw it coming, but that was for sure a nice surprise. It's a bonus character and the only reason behind the hate is because of butthurt people. This character looks promising and even if I'm not a fan of the Piranha Plant, I can't wait to play it.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I've always adored Petey Piranha, and despite my disappointment over Isaac getting AT'd, I'm in love with this little guy (he's baby Petey and no one will change my mind, fight me). He is precious and possibly my new favorite character. Also, if you guys look on the official site, his last picture is him singing with Jifflypuff. They made a Little Shop of Horrors reference. One of my favorite movies/musicals. I CAN'T.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Is there going to be a "I was wrong" thread? I mean I usually hate those kinds of threads but I think it would be hilarious to see one for this character in this context.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well for coming out of left field, it really was a surprise, and will fun to play with, for the lols (and may be good too)

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
User was warned for this post; censor dodging
Exquisite isn't it:
Mod Edit: Swearing in the video

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The true Ballot winner showed up. And all of you thought it was Bayonetta, how cute.

This was who I voted for.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Edit: placing this post somewhere else where it fits better

Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
I my honest opinion im glad we have our WTF character and I can't stop laughing!! XD

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I am 200% okay with this. I had a dream when I was twelve or thirteen years old that Petey Piranha was in a Smash character select screen that had a striking resemblance to Melee's character select screen. I was very annoyed when I woke up to find that it was only a dream. When I watched Piranha Plant's trailer today, it immediately made me think of that dream, especially since Petey Piranha is actually in Piranha Plant's moveset.

While one dream (Shadow) is broken, another dream has come true. I will happily main Piranha Plant alongside King K. Rool and Ridley. What a time to be alive.

Durnt

Smash Cadet
He's not a minion he's every Piranha Plant molded into one! The Ultimate Plant!! =O
Almost all of them but since Miis STILL have custom moves that means I might still be right!!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
yayy we did it, our support really went through to sakurai. what a neato

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I laughed so hard when he was announced. My reaction was a combination of surprise, amusement, disbelief, wanting to play as him, and anticipation about the spectacular levels of salt that has probably turned Smashfaqs into the Dead Sea. Absolutely fantastic.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This reveal made my roommate, who was feeling really down, laugh out loud. It was one of the loudest reactions we had all Direct. I love Mario minions and even though I was expecting a Goomba I never for a million years guessed they'd add a Pirahna Plant. Hilarious! He's gonna be so fun. It's about time Smash got a really silly character. What a fun addition and I bet we are gonna see a lot of Plant mains. I know I want to play as him. Also, shoutouts to Petey Pirahna!

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I’m definitely maining Plant. Maybe get good with Pichu to keep the joke rolling along.

God, I was really trying to tell if they’re being serious or not. Best reveal yet.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
...Alright, I'm good with this. Plant looks fun and honestly, is a more hype final reveal than the cat.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
This just reminds me of all those fake pre-release Brawl rosters filled with candidates such as Waluigi, Birdo, Hammer bro, Boo and every other unlikely random Mario kart char or Items, along with other random enemies or sidekicks from franchises you could possibly think of.

That one of those examples actually made it into Ultimate is just surreal to me, yet awesome nonetheless. This is proof yet again that we can't predict or outline Sakurai's inner/creative thought process.

If I had to guess how this came to pass, I would say it was probably one or more of the developers fooling around too much with Piranha Plant, which was most likely gonna be an Assist Trophy, but then finding/adding numerous attacks and mannerisms to this otherwise simple enemy and then being like; "Well shoot, we've gone this far, might as well make it a full fledged character".

I'm just wondering what this means for the future, are we gonna see a rising demand for Hammer bro or other popular enemies next? When are we gonna get the Deku baba echo/skin Sakurai?!

Dan

Smash Lord
As always, I am in the strong minority. This completely ruined Smash for me that I don't even care if they make another game anymore. This totally rubbed me the wrong way.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
let's be real, as far a baddies go, piranha plant is one of the oddest choices, and that's what makes it so awesome as a character.

More people who like surprises would embrace it, if it wasnt for certain leaks that got people's hopes up.
That said, it's a character that kind of doesnt matter if you hate, so it makes no difference if there's haters, heh.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, congrats to all you... umm... Piranha Plant supporters?
In all seriousness, I love Piranha Plant. I wasn't at all a fan of him at first, as he felt like a complete "WHY" pick (as was probably intended), but then I learned to take him as what he is: a joke character, something which Smash has been severely lacking in. (The closest it's ever had to one is Pichu in Melee, who was only a joke character insofar as being intentionally bad, which isn't fun.) This lad's grown on me a lot, and I'm glad Sakurai got to put in his "deviantArt roster" pick for a quick laugh. By all means, let the man have his fun, as long as he doesn't turn Smash into MUGEN, which I figure one little Piranha Plant won't do. Definitely my favorite newcomer so far, and I'm secretly open to maining him if he's good. ;)
And yes, this is coming from a Geno supporter. Sitting through an entire Direct to see that your favorite Mario character got beaten to the roster by a literal potted plant really bites (har-har), but I've come to accept that he has a chance in hell as DLC and Piranha Plant is just a really fun addition regardless.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
It's gonna take me a long time to get over this; admittedly the character itself does look cool, and we indeed did never have a "joke" character.

Top Bottom