• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We could really use an unranked 1 on 1 in SSBU

Peachach

Smash Cadet
The way this would work is that for each character you designate preferred match-ups by turning on/off chars from the roster. So, theoretically, if you want to train your Luigi against Bayonetta, you turn all other chars off and you're only matched with Bayonettas who also want to train against Luigi. I think this would be in line with Sakurai's recently stated intention to make the game more appealing for casuals and pros alike. Casuals could use this non-ranked mode to play their favorite 1 on 1 matches with random players online and pros could hone their skills against opponents they find tough.

One note: just because it would be non-ranked, doesn't mean the game should match based on skill. It'd be nice if it did.

But basically, it'd be nice to have a 1 on 1 training/casual mode and 1 on 1 For Glory this time around. With or without preferred match-ups. But I think this feature would be really cool.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't know, there's a reason most games keep their online options more limited than everything everybody could imagine. I'm sure Smash will sell like crazy, but, as a developer you still don't want to spread your player-base too thin.

I agree that a one on one unranked mode would be great, especially if they have a proper ranked mode this time around, but what is essentially an online training mode where you can cut yourself off from being matched up against people based on what character they're using seems a bit extra.

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
I would rather they focus on giving us an actual ranked mode and a better net code. This just seems like wasted development time for something incredibly niche

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Incredible niche may be a bit of an overstatement. In terms of dev work, it's not a lot of work. Just another variable to check in match-ups.

They have plenty of time till December.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
I would rather they focus on giving us an actual ranked mode and a better net code. This just seems like wasted development time for something incredibly niche
Actual ranked mode is hopefully a given. Netcode...same.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Actual ranked mode is hopefully a given. Netcode...same.
Nothing is a given if they devote an insufficient amount of time to it because they're spreading themselves too thin. That said, I agree that the actual effort involved in implementing what you propose isn't as difficult as some might think, but again, it's a matter of whether you want your players to pick 1 of maybe let's say 5 pre-configured online modes and get matched quickly or allow your players to set up incredibly specific matchmaking option resulting in longer wait times overall.

Even if some people are okay with those wait times in order to play matches that are exactly what they're looking for, I imagine the devs would prefer a more streamlined match making experience for a variety of reasons. You gotta figure that if it was a truly effortless, no negatives thing to implement, the likes of Capcom and Arc Sys would have done something like it by now.

Last edited:

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Well, the idea can be tuned... to be a preference that isn't guaranteed. If your peferred opponent chars arent available, you get whoever is available.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
In terms of netcode/better online play, Sakurai will definitely have to experiment with p2p in larger gaps, and not just from Tokyo and Kyoto. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY they do what other games on the Switch have done on the past that have online play and release a online demo, as those demos have proven to be useful for them.

However, we don't know if they are going to be more online focused. Despite the informative reveal, there is still lots of game we have yet to know.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I don't really care for ranked as much as I do, of course, better netcode.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not really that interested in limiting who I can fight against online. Not only would that make matchmaking take longer since most wouldn't really bother with it, but I enjoy fighting characters and players of all types. A strategy you might think of fighting one character may turn out to be helpful against another and you wouldn't have imagined it had you been fighting just the one.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Incredible niche may be a bit of an overstatement. In terms of dev work, it's not a lot of work. Just another variable to check in match-ups.

They have plenty of time till December.
It's not a lot of work, but generally when you're developing a game and online, you don't want to make things so exclusive so players will have an easy time and be quick in finding matches even years later when the game dies down. I think this wouldn't work very well if you used a niche character and was hoping to match up with a specific matchup later down the road.
Well, the idea can be tuned... to be a preference that isn't guaranteed. If your peferred opponent chars arent available, you get whoever is available.
This would just lead to frustration of players not getting the character or matchup they wanted and would make matchmaking take longer as well as people constantly declining.

But anyway, as far as online goes I just want better netcode, more available stages than just Omega/BF forms, and a separate ranked mode. Online training mode with friends would be nice too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom