• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sometimes I wonder why there isn't a bigger push to add more video game heroines in Smash or even villains. I've always been in support of both categories since most franchises in the roster need their heroine and their villain. But now that Ultimate has added villains like Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and Sephiroth, I feel like the villains' side of the roster is almost perfect as only a select few omissions are really missing. Now I wish they would focus more on adding the big video game heroines like Lara Croft, Chun-Li, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Krystal, ect as I feel like the roster will never feel complete without these gals.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sometimes I wonder why there isn't a bigger push to add more video game heroines in Smash or even villains. I've always been in support of both categories since most franchises in the roster need their heroine and their villain. But now that Ultimate has added villains like Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and Sephiroth, I feel like the villains' side of the roster is almost perfect as only a select few omissions are really missing. Now I wish they would focus more on adding the big video game heroines like Lara Croft, Chun-Li, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Krystal, ect as I feel like the roster will never feel complete without these gals.
its cause everyone only ever focuses on their own wants

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the problem there is most people are mostly interested in third party characters these days, and the most popular choices are like, Sora, Dante, Crash, Master Chief, etc who are all male. It's more of a reflection of the industry itself, same thing with the issue of Smash lacking melanin in its roster.

Pillow

Smash Lord
In My opinion the Top 6 most likely Female characters to date are.

1. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
2. Toadette (In the form of an Alt for Captain Toad)
3. Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
4. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
5. Shantae (Shantae)
6. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Y’all sleepin on Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, and 2B

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Y’all sleepin on Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, and 2B
I mean, all of those characters are more or less deconfirmed, at least for Ultimate (or just FP2 if we by some miracle get FP3). They already did a Resident Evil spirit event around the time FP2 was being finalized and Jill was one of them, and I don't see Lara Croft or 2B getting in when we already have Sephiroth from Square-Enix this pass.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think the problem there is most people are mostly interested in third party characters these days, and the most popular choices are like, Sora, Dante, Crash, Master Chief, etc who are all male. It's more of a reflection of the industry itself, same thing with the issue of Smash lacking melanin in its roster.
It’s just as well that fan demand has not been officially stated to have any influence in this pass. :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra: have never been cited as fan demand characters. So Chun-Li is still very much viable and won’t have fan demand affecting her.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s just as well that fan demand has not been officially stated to have any influence in this pass. :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra: have never been cited as fan demand characters. So Chun-Li is still very much viable and won’t have fan demand affecting her.
Maybe not fan demand but they’re hardly anomalies

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Most people just wanted Rex because they thought he was the only realistic way of getting the Aegis girls in Smash lol

Oracle Link

Smash Master
the whole thing is the 'challenge'. It's just a sarcastic way to say she'd like if people didn't get horny on them n stuff. (bad example for kids)
I mean theyre designed so that youre horny for them

(i mean even baby link who is a baby version of a gentleyoungman would see that its quite obvious)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean theyre designed so that youre horny for them

(i mean even baby link who is a baby version of a gentleyoungman would see that its quite obvious)
They're a bit sexy, but that's no reason to objectify them (aside from cuing the sword joke) and overlook their qualities as characters, just like if you saw decently sized breasted woman showing skin, she's still a person, and focusing on sex instead of the person is a little .. not so great. Anyway their point is that the community also has kids, so people should watch how you talk about them in front of them, because they're influencable.

In my case, I guess it does bother me a little. Obviously the original game has a bit of fan service so yeah, I get that some will be like that, but personally I think they're beautifully designed, and not really fan servicy in their smash outfits. I don't care too much when it's a little, since ..boys will be boys, but because for me when I'll play them I'll be relating to them, it's not really a good feel if the characters are seen that way.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
They're a bit sexy, but that's no reason to objectify them (aside from cuing the sword joke) and overlook their qualities as characters, just like if you saw decently sized breasted woman showing skin, she's still a person, and focusing on sex instead of the person is a little .. not so great. Anyway their point is that the community also has kids, so people should watch how you talk about them in front of them, because they're influencable.

In my case, I guess it does bother me a little. Obviously the original game has a bit of fan service so yeah, I get that some will be like that, but personally I think they're beautifully designed, and not really fan servicy in their smash outfits. I don't care too much when it's a little, since ..boys will be boys, but because for me when I'll play them I'll be relating to them, it's not really a good feel if the characters are seen that way.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.
Nearly every female newcomer Except Maybe Isabelle, Kazooie and Dark Samus have been considered Waifu Bait designed for men to get off to. Even Lucina whose chest is as flat as a board and who is completely covered in clothing from neck to toe, was accused of this. Hell even her face is covered if you count her Marth disguise.

I'm not saying this is the case with Pyra/Mythra but it's been the hardest to argue otherwise in their case...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nearly every female newcomer Except Maybe Isabelle, Kazooie and Dark Samus have been considered Waifu Bait designed for men to get off to. Even Lucina whose chest is as flat as a board and who is completely covered in clothing from neck to toe, was accused of this. Hell even her face is covered if you count her Marth disguise.

I'm not saying this is the case with Pyra/Mythra but it's been the hardest to argue otherwise in their case...
I don't agree with that one bit.

If you're saying some people sexualize characters, then yes that does happen.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I don't agree with that one bit.

If you're saying some people sexualize characters, then yes that does happen.
No I was saying lots of people have accused most female characters of that. Sorry, I must have worded my post wrong.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No I was saying lots of people have accused most female characters of that. Sorry, I must have worded my post wrong.
Yeah ok. I don't agree with them then ;p. That's crazy if some are even saying that about lucina. She's an awesome gal.
I just wouldn't give much value to when they say that. It's fine to have concerns, but saying that any female character is made to satisfy lust is sexist in itself.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
There's not really a 100% accurate way to count the females. Some don't count alts, and some don't count echoes. Some of the Pokemon often get counted as female even though they're all supposed to be genderless. And then you have Ice Climbers and Banjo-Kazooie, who have a female and a male working together.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's not really a 100% accurate way to count the females. Some don't count alts, and some don't count echoes. Some of the Pokemon often get counted as female even though they're all supposed to be genderless. And then you have Ice Climbers and Banjo-Kazooie, who have a female and a male working together.
The Pokemon are ambiguous rather than supposed to be genderless. Pikachu being the only one on the roster with a different appearance for genders and pichu having an alt based on a specific pichu that is female

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the surface level, it is nice that Smash has all of those female characters playable. We've come a lonnnnnnng way from Brawl which just had Peach, Zelda, Samus, their alter egos and Nana (full disclosure: I don't count Jigglypuff as female considering Smash has always interally referred to it as just that. "It").

I just think it's kind of a shame how much of the female lineup really seems to rely on alternate costumes and even clone/deriative characters to pad it out. There's not really very many women in Smash that aren't just avatar characters and thus entirely female and have a completely unique moveset. When you look at it that way, it just boils down to:

:ultpeach::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultbayonetta::ultminmin:ultpyra:

Everyone else is a clone to some extent (:ultdaisy::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultdarksamus:Mythra), attached to the hip with a male fighter (:ultbanjokazooie:), originally got in as another form of a pre-existing character (:ultsheik::ultzss:) or a (usually avatar type) character with both male and female skins (:ultpokemontrainerf::ultinkling::ultwiifittrainer::ultrobinf::ultbylethf::ultcorrinf::ultvillagerf::ultwendy::ultsteve::ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:). At least Inkling, WFT and I guess Mii Gunner are female by default, unlike the rest of them.

Min Min and Pyra were both refreshing to get because they were the first female fighters we've gotten with no strings or asterisks attached to them since Bayonetta back in Smash 4. I guess Pyra has the asterisks of being attached to another female character lol, but whatever.

why doesn't Smashboards have emojis for Alex, Nana and the female Pikachu/Pichu skins...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Having female alts definitely counts for something. But still unique female characters count for a lot and in ultimate we didn't get any until this pass. That was the main weird thing, since in ultimate we got 2 in base game at least.

If we look at unique male characters only, I wonder how many male ones there are. (a bit too lazy to do the math myself right now XD)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Having female alts definitely counts for something. But still unique female characters count for a lot and in ultimate we didn't get any until this pass. That was the main weird thing, since in ultimate we got 2 in base game at least.

If we look at unique male characters only, I wonder how many male ones there are. (a bit too lazy to do the math myself right now XD)
You got me interested. I'm using similar parameters to Dinoman96, but feel free to correct me if you think something's off:

Uniques for sure:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry::ultsephiroth:(30 total)
I'm classifying Megaman as male here even though he's technically a robot, just because Roll exists in his universe and is clearly meant to be a girl.

Clones of some variety:
:ultluigi::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultken: (10 total)
These are all varying levels of clones, and some have been greatly modified from their original character over time, but still retain elements of their original clone status. Mewtwo, despite being a literal clone was left off the list, please save your jokes.
The likes of Young Link, Toon Link and Dr. Mario are two tiers down as Doc is Mario wearing a different outfit and Young/Toon Link are Link's reincarnations in a different timeline. Same soul.

Questionable status of gender:
:ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultrob::ultgreninja::ultduckhunt::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: (11 total)
Yoshi is classified as male but lays eggs. Pikachu and Pichu have male and female alts confirmed, Puff is likely female but due to it's gender diversity not being so obvious as Pikachu, it, Lucario, Greninja and Incineroar are here. Mewtwo is officially genderless even though it has a male voice, R.O.B. is a genderless robot despite their name being male, Duck Hunt might be both male but I'm unsure for certain and Plant is a plant so it's likely both.

Not truly unique as they're another form of the same character, a male alt or attached to a female character in some way:
:ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainerm::ultmiifighters::ultrobin::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultinklingboy::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultsteve:(15 not including the Pokemon Trainer's trio or Mii Swordsman and Brawler as seperate, 19 otherwise)
I'm sure this will be the contentious section since even amongst the alts the males usually outnumber the females as in Bowser Jr and Steve's case.

Additional male alts:
:ultalph::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: Zombie, Enderman (12 total)
Just for completions sake.

Marth:
:ultmarth:(1 total)
Not a joke based on his looks, I'm just not sure whether to count him as a unique or not a unique since Lucina exists. Feel free to put him in whatever catogary you feel he fits.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's great YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , thanks for going through that :)
I think we have to include Marth as unique because he was the original one in melee and lucina came much later.

So I guess that'd make 31 unique males vs 8 unique females?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy International Women's Day!

Source

Super Smash Sisters Revamp

Source

Source

tiny..png

WIP by SBQL
Earlier streams here: 1, 2, 3

Here's a fun game, name 10 female characters you want for Smash.

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip

Last edited: