• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don't get the appeal behind Ms. Pac-Man*. So how about it? Not to be rude but, to me, she just seems like a Rule 63 Pac-Man.
*I'm referring to the character, not the game.
She is the first female protagonist in video game history and also has a big history and very popular as well

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That and she's an easy Pac-Man Echo. She literally is R63 Pac-Man, so she's right there. Just make her movements more feminine or something and bam, Pac-Man Echo.
And she's pretty much one of the most iconic echo fighters in gaming, she'd even usurp Ken in terms of sheer fame.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
An interesting question for the thread.

Chun-Li, Dixie Kong, Velvet Crowe, and Lucina for me.
Maya Fey (Ace Attorney), April Ryan (The Longest Journey), Jade (Beyond Good & Evil), Chiaki Nanami (Danganronpa)

(I'm going to cheat and also say Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles) and Vivian from Paper Mario)

I remember a brief time where I thought Jade in Smash could happen. It was a naive time.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I've gunned for Ms. Pac-Man since Pac-Man got in, who I've pushed for since Brawl. Sadly, the missus' chances of appearing are very slim.
In spite of the cameo in Pac-Land, this also factors into her absence. That, and Namco-Bandai's apathy towards her the same way they are towards Pac-Man if Sakurai's words at the Terry presentation is anything to go by.

I'll bring up my old list from before.

-Lip: Another character I wanted since Brawl. I felt the mechanics of Panel de Pon could make for an interesting moveset. The Lip thread has some great ideas and it's great to see support for her growing.
-Dixie Kong: Long, long overdue for her. If relevancy played a part in the roster starting with Smash Four, Dixie had two opportunities to get in, and she never got her dues. Even with Ultimate, she still got snubbed. I refuse to wait until the next game for her to appear, it's either this game or she may as well have never been added, regardless.
-Hilda: With echo fighters being a thing, Hilda seemed like an obvious choice with Zelda's new design. You could match her cheerful gestures with more subdued movements and swap her attacks with the dark element. I felt this was a missed opportunity.
-Captain Syrup: Wario Land may as well not exist according to Smash. Wario will never properly represent WL so why not bring in Captain Syrup and have her do it if Wario has to remain the way he is? The second most recurring character in the Land series deserves better.
-Tetra or Toon Zelda: I'd prefer both but that's not viable. Tetra could utilize some stuff from Hyrule Warriors or even be a clone of Toon Link while having Toon Link use some of the weapons from the games he appeared in from Wind Waker, Minish Cap and so on. Toon Zelda could utilize the Phantom better than Zelda in Four or Ultimate and she's my favorite take on the Zelda character. Anytime T. Zelda appears, she tends to be one of the better Zeldas and overall does a lot more in her respective games in comparison.
-Paula: I think she could be a high risk, high reward character, making better use of the elemental PSI but having weaker power and being much lighter in comparison. Basically how she is in Earthbound. Another suggestion I had for her was a PSI meter like Hero's magic meter.

I noticed a lot my most wanted happen to be female way back, and I think this attributes to how good they are as characters. Dixie again being one of those characters who debuted as an main character and starred in four games, six counting the remakes and doing so way before Peach got her own solo title. She's the true glaring omission and I attribute this to DKC being a western series at its roots, a Japanese company (Nintendo) doesn't get it like they should (Jungle Beat), let alone a director of a crossover title (Sakurai). That's a whole 'nother can of worms though, so I'll leave it at that.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
well if we're talking about female only pokemon, how bout frolass?
That’s not a bad idea. We haven’t had ice nor ghost typing yet

I could see Nidoqueen or Miltank too. Both have a brawler type of fighting style. Too bad Puff took the rollout move

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What do you guys think the chances are we'll at the least get one more female character? And who do you think is the most likely?

I think 2B could be a runner-up as I could see her as a pick akin to Joker. Now that Spirits could be promoted I wonder about Dixie's chances. Also, any female picks being slept on?

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
ironically weve got enough pokemon in smash to cover all the types
lmao my dumb ass forgot that ghost typing already covered thanks to Mewtwo using shadow ball XD

Greninja, Squirtle, and Puff could do ice moves. I do think we should get at least one Pokémon to cover all the types in the series. Right now we’re missing the following types...

bug, rock, ground, ghost, ice, dragon (Charizard’s mega doesn’t count)

What do you guys think the chances are we'll at the least get one more female character? And who do you think is the most likely?

I think 2B could be a runner-up as I could see her as a pick akin to Joker. Now that Spirits could be promoted I wonder about Dixie's chances. Also, any female picks being slept on?
Dixie still has a chance. Can see Impa in the running too. Zelda does need a fresh rep outside the core trio and Impa makes the most sense.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Dixie again being one of those characters who debuted as an main character and starred in four games, six counting the remakes and doing so way before Peach got her own solo title. She's the true glaring omission and I attribute this to DKC being a western series at its roots, a Japanese company (Nintendo) doesn't get it like they should (Jungle Beat), let alone a director of a crossover title (Sakurai). That's a whole 'nother can of worms though, so I'll leave it at that.
But the thing is, Dixie almost got into Brawl. Sakurai planned on including her as a part of a tag team gimmick with Diddy Kong as a reference to DKC2. It's just that technical issues prevented this and she was scrapped altogether.

It's not that she's western, it's just that Dixie's had unfortunate circumstances each game. Smash 4's first party lineup was build around recently released Wii and 3DS games that came out around the time Sakurai locked the roster down in early 2012. Tropical Freeze hadn't been announced yet and DKC Returns only featured DK and Diddy, so naturally no DK character was priortised then. Then for Ultimate, everyone voted for King K. Rool on the ballot and there just wasn't much room for two non-echo DK newcomers with such a small amount of new characters this time around. It sucks, but we play the cards we're dealt.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Coming from the guy who insists that Reimu's the indie rep... Yeah, you should know what I'm gonna say already.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Me, the resident Elma Stan:

🅱USTS THRU THE WALLS

ELMAAAAAAAA

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I definitely want to say her as well but I dunno my gut feeling is telling me Rex will be chosen if we get another Xenoblade rep. I would however love to be wrong.
Actually, it's going to be Nia. Rex may be the protagonist, but Sakurai is a cat person. In addition, he has cats of his own, so if Nintendo says no, all he has to do is have the cats stare at them until they convert. It's a foolproof plan and Nia is a lock because of it.

D

Deleted member

I'm leaning a bit towards 60 to 40. If they probably want to make up for the male overdose in the last pass, they probably would use this pass to give them a chance.

Dixie still has a chance. Can see Impa in the running too. Zelda does need a fresh rep outside the core trio and Impa makes the most sense.
Thing is, I really don't know if Impa will bring in too much hype, though I could see some for Dixie.

you secretly want Arle Nadja and Shantae in just so you could hear Erica Mendez and Cristina Vee do voiceovers in your favorite game...

IT'S NOT LIKE THAT! HONEST!

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

My gut could shrug on whether we will get another female.

Personally I'm hoping for Shantae and think she has a noteworthy shot. Reimu too, even if it pains me.

Other than that, with Three Houses and ARMS Nintendo seems to be prioritize recent games when it comes to first parties, not legacy series, games. Dixie Kong, Elma, Midna, Lyn, might seem a little low balled here. The best bet is probably Breath of the Wild 2 with Zelda or maybe Impa, or even ever so slightly, another whole new character who steals the spotlight altogether.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't get the appeal behind Ms. Pac-Man*. So how about it? Not to be rude but, to me, she just seems like a Rule 63 Pac-Man.
*I'm referring to the character, not the game.
Ms. Pac-Man has a lot of historical significance. Both the game and the character.

For a lot of hardcore fans, she's something of a legacy figure. It's also helped that she's had her own games in more modern times and remains and important Pac-Man character.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I had an idea for a traditional fighting game that would be centered around female side-characters from (J)RPGs. I know this isn't exactly related to smash but i felt like this thread would be a good place to talk about it.
RPGirls and assists.png

Blue : The main roster, Red : the unlockable secret characters and in Green : Assist characters à la Marvel vs Capcom, the only difference is that they wouldn't be playable and they'd be tied to specific characters (as shown on the picture).
As for the title, maybe RPGirls or something, i'm not too sure about it yet.

The concept sounds extremely specific and limiting but it's something i'd be down for.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think there are three characters that stand above the rest. Dixie Kong, Shantae and Lara Croft. The first two because of their huge fan support and Lara Croft because she's Lara Croft and doesn't really need a reason to be likely. She's a gaming icon, enough said.

After those three I would probably place 2B. I don't see her as impossible but I also don't rate her chances very high. She feels like an underdog to me.

I think Krystal and Ashley have VERY outside chances, personally I think the competition for assist trophy promotions is too intense for either of them to get promoted, but I think they could be in a much better position for the next game.

Elma is in a rough position. Apparently there's some issue with Xenoblade X music getting into Smash so if she got in we'd either get an X stage with no X music or she'd get in with a Xenoblade 2 stage. (and at that point I don't see why they wouldn't just go with Rex & Pyra/Mithra)

Maybe it's a blind spot on my part but I don't feel like characters like Reimu, Kos-Mos, Arle Nadja or Impa have much chance of getting in. Of course that's just my own gut feeling. Also I don't like saying it because I like the character but I feel like Amaterasu probably has too much competition from other Capcom reps, so I would consider her very unlikely as well.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think 2B is worth considering, she's very similar to Joker in that she's the star of a breakout hit game from 2017.

I think the only real knock against her is the fact that the Nier IP has had no real history on Nintendo consoles, which Sakurai considers to be more of a "courtesy".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think 2B is worth considering, she's very similar to Joker in that she's the star of a breakout hit game from 2017.

I think the only real knock against her is the fact that the Nier IP has had no real history on Nintendo consoles, which Sakurai considers to be more of a "courtesy".
What about Cloud and Joker though. Sure they had some games on Nintendo consoles but not by much.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
But the thing is, Dixie almost got into Brawl. Sakurai planned on including her as a part of a tag team gimmick with Diddy Kong as a reference to DKC2. It's just that technical issues prevented this and she was scrapped altogether.

It's not that she's western, it's just that Dixie's had unfortunate circumstances each game. Smash 4's first party lineup was build around recently released Wii and 3DS games that came out around the time Sakurai locked the roster down in early 2012. Tropical Freeze hadn't been announced yet and DKC Returns only featured DK and Diddy, so naturally no DK character was priortised then. Then for Ultimate, everyone voted for King K. Rool on the ballot and there just wasn't much room for two non-echo DK newcomers with such a small amount of new characters this time around. It sucks, but we play the cards we're dealt.
I honestly don't buy that and this is not directed towards you but to Sakurai and Nintendo. You mean to tell me that Dixie Kong missed two opportunities for Smash, the same game that Nintendo is using to promote up and coming games? Tropical Freeze didn't need to be announced to be promoted, or Byleth wouldn't have made it in. This is the one glaring flaw I have with that argument on Tropical Freeze. Sakurai does inquire about upcoming games and you mean to tell me he didn't even consider Tropical Freeze or know about it? I find that hard to believe, and then I realized Tropical Freeze is a game handled by a western developer, and that alone is enough to keep Sakurai in the dark about it unless Nintendo goes out of their way to promote it. And as far as I'm concerned, Chrom may as well have been any other echo fighter, not necessarily Dixie Kong. Anyone else.

But enough about Fire Emblem, I also wanted to point out this little promotional thing from last year:

Bombette? In the era of Color Splash and Origami King, they pushed Bombette of all characters, and not that there's anything wrong with Bombette, but she's probably a tertiary pick in the grand scheme of things if you're pushing your women of gaming rhetoric. You could argue that Rosalina should have been Peach and also this being more of an NoA event than a general Nintendo thing all around, but it shows how unbalanced the picks for that event were. I don't know if that was the entire selection of characters for that event but it said enough to me last year.

I don't know if Sakurai is hellbent on seeing Dixie partnered up with Diddy and anything else is heresy according to his personal interpretations of characters or whatnot, but Dixie's timing was perfect, in both Smash Four and Ultimate, especially Ultimate. They just don't have any stake or faith in Donkey Kong Country the way they do with Fire Emblem or whatever the committee wants to promote. Everything with Byleth and Fire Emblem only proves that; if Sakurai or Nintendo won't promote it, it doesn't get in. DKC's history of neglect after Rare left is well-documented. They're doing my girl dirty.

If any character from here on gets revealed and their game hasn't been released beforehand, that will tell you that a game doesn't have to be announced for its main character or any character relating to it to be considered for Smash, see both Corrin and Byleth.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So curious question to all female supporters including myself.

Who are your most wants? Mine are 2B, Amaterasu, Elma, and Lara Croft. And though not supporting her Dixie more then earns her spot being among the missing Nintendo all-stars.
Elma, KOS-MOS, Octoling (technically avatar but girl is the default), Dixie, Fiora, and Velvet Crowe

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Who are your most wants? Mine are 2B, Amaterasu, Elma, and Lara Croft. And though not supporting her Dixie more then earns her spot being among the missing Nintendo all-stars.
Dixie Kong, Chun-Li, Impa, Krystal, Lara Croft, Ms. Pac-Man, Elma, Roll, Jill Valentine, Reimu, and Arle.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Estelle, Saber, Sakura, Tracer, Reimu, 2B, Amaterasu, Shantae, Elma, Ryza, Lora, Tsubasa, Arle and Haruka Amami

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I honestly don't buy that and this is not directed towards you but to Sakurai and Nintendo. You mean to tell me that Dixie Kong missed two opportunities for Smash, the same game that Nintendo is using to promote up and coming games? Tropical Freeze didn't need to be announced to be promoted, or Byleth wouldn't have made it in. This is the one glaring flaw I have with that argument on Tropical Freeze. Sakurai does inquire about upcoming games and you mean to tell me he didn't even consider Tropical Freeze or know about it? I find that hard to believe, and then I realized Tropical Freeze is a game handled by a western developer, and that alone is enough to keep Sakurai in the dark about it unless Nintendo goes out of their way to promote it. And as far as I'm concerned, Chrom may as well have been any other echo fighter, not necessarily Dixie Kong. Anyone else.

But enough about Fire Emblem, I also wanted to point out this little promotional thing from last year:

Bombette? In the era of Color Splash and Origami King, they pushed Bombette of all characters, and not that there's anything wrong with Bombette, but she's probably a tertiary pick in the grand scheme of things if you're pushing your women of gaming rhetoric. You could argue that Rosalina should have been Peach and also this being more of an NoA event than a general Nintendo thing all around, but it shows how unbalanced the picks for that event were. I don't know if that was the entire selection of characters for that event but it said enough to me last year.

I don't know if Sakurai is hellbent on seeing Dixie partnered up with Diddy and anything else is heresy according to his personal interpretations of characters or whatnot, but Dixie's timing was perfect, in both Smash Four and Ultimate, especially Ultimate. They just don't have any stake or faith in Donkey Kong Country the way they do with Fire Emblem or whatever the committee wants to promote. Everything with Byleth and Fire Emblem only proves that; if Sakurai or Nintendo won't promote it, it doesn't get in. DKC's history of neglect after Rare left is well-documented. They're doing my girl dirty.

If any character from here on gets revealed and their game hasn't been released beforehand, that will tell you that a game doesn't have to be announced for its main character or any character relating to it to be considered for Smash, see both Corrin and Byleth.
I find funny that Bayonetta is on here, she's own by platinum so i find it hard to know she's under nintendo.

Last edited:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513

My most wanted character is Midna, then are Morrigan Aensland, Dixie Kong, Birdo, Jinx from lol, Jynx from pokemon lol, Lola Pop, Karin and Rose from street fighter, Sophitia and/or Cassandra from soul calibur, Mai Shiranui, and many, many more.

Top Bottom