• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

SharkLord

Smash Hero
smashkirby smashkirby requested that I add a couple of characters to the pic I posted before (originally made by u/bennyolsen on Reddit), so here's a version with the likes of Mona, Kat and Ana from WarioWare, Tap Trial Girl from Rhythm Heaven, and Lip from Panel de Pon.

View attachment 276875
What I really love about this image is how Byleth's just peeking out over the top, staring directly at you. I don't know why, but it really cracks me up.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
From what I know, I believe the artist is actually working on an update to these two pieces for Smash Ultimate (incorporating :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, etc., and possibly some new female characters).

There were also mentions of him working on it during some Twitch streams. These tweets include links of him mentioning working on it, which the most recent one I can find being from February of this year. Unfortunately Twitch doesn't archive streams, so no way of seeing him work on them. In anycase, can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
From what I know, I believe the artist is actually working on an update to these two pieces for Smash Ultimate (incorporating :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, etc., and possibly some new female characters).

There were also mentions of him working on it during some Twitch streams. These tweets include links of him mentioning working on it, which the most recent one I can find being from February of this year. Unfortunately Twitch doesn't archive streams, so no way of seeing him work on them. In anycase, can't wait to see the finished product.

Wow, really? It's too bad that he's probably almost done. I would have asked if he was taking suggestions for females to add to the updated pieces. Still, I do hope he intends to keep all of the ladies who appeared in the original Smash 4-based pieces.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Wow, really? It's too bad that he's probably almost done. I would have asked if he was taking suggestions for females to add to the updated pieces. Still, I do hope he intends to keep all of the ladies who appeared in the original Smash 4-based pieces.
I dunno, with Min-Min just being revealed he might still be updating it, which is possibly why he might be waiting for more DLC in case there are more girls revealed down the line.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I hope this thread celebrated with having ramen after Min Min was released. :p

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as recent game heroines go, one of my current favorite is Hat Kid from Hat in Time. Beyond how good the game is, she's a rare female plaformer character that has the spotlight to herself. Dixie was always with a partner (ie Diddy, Kiddy ,etc), Kazooie is a dual character with Banjo, and Peach rarely gets the chance to be playable in the Mario titles. Hat Kid is the hero in her game; that alongside a great design, easily adaptable moves, and a lot of potential for a stage would make her a great choice for Smash. Not terribly likely give she's a relatively small western indie character, though something like a Mii Fighter costume would be a good first step.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As far as recent game heroines go, one of my current favorite is Hat Kid from Hat in Time. Beyond how good the game is, she's a rare female plaformer character that has the spotlight to herself. Dixie was always with a partner (ie Diddy, Kiddy ,etc), Kazooie is a dual character with Banjo, and Peach rarely gets the chance to be playable in the Mario titles. Hat Kid is the hero in her game; that alongside a great design, easily adaptable moves, and a lot of potential for a stage would make her a great choice for Smash. Not terribly likely give she's a relatively small western indie character, though something like a Mii Fighter costume would be a good first step.
If that's what you're looking for in a character, I direct you towards Freedom Planet, assuming you don't know of it already.
If not? Too bad, I'm directing you to Freedom Planet anyways. It's a good game and needs more attention.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If that's what you're looking for in a character, I direct you towards Freedom Planet, assuming you don't know of it already.
If not? Too bad, I'm directing you to Freedom Planet anyways. It's a good game and needs more attention.
Oh, Freedom Planet's great. I'd argue it really helped kick off the trend of modern spiritual successors not only living up to the classics, but also evolving them in some way. Especially pre Sonic Mania, it was nice to have a speed based platformer that realized the value in the genre while mixing things up with bosses out of something like Gunstar Heroes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
some of us are cut off from our preferred noodle shops
dont "like" that its very annoying

did you not know they gave her a player 2 character?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh, Freedom Planet's great. I'd argue it really helped kick off the trend of modern spiritual successors not only living up to the classics, but also evolving them in some way. Especially pre Sonic Mania, it was nice to have a speed based platformer that realized the value in the genre while mixing things up with bosses out of something like Gunstar Heroes.
Freedom planet is amazing, and i cant wait for the sequal... whenever that happens

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Freedom planet is amazing, and i cant wait for the sequal... whenever that happens
Yeah... We'll get there... Eventually...
I'm personally curious on a potential Switch port. Think there was something said about a Nintendo release, but I don't remember where. In addition, we don't know if it would be around the same time as the PC release, so... Yeah.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Tracer is probably not a good choice on account of the bad publicity that they've been getting as of late. Besides Nintendo has plenty of female representatives who are equally famous they could pick from. You know...to represent their own franchise/company. And I doubt they want to get mixed into their affairs. (Someone in the last page voted for Tracer being a slot, that's why I posted this)

I really only hopped on here to see if this topic was still alive. Haven't been here in ages. I remember this was the place I last posted. Kind of glad that it was MinMin out of the Arms roster. It was either her or Springman I was wanting and I didn't know how they'd deal with him and his assist trophy. And that he kind of looks like Little Mac so MinMin it was.

Like seriously, put Little Mac and Springman's pose together and they look like they could be the same person.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7b/LittleMac_SSBU.png/1200px-LittleMac_SSBU.png
https://images.nintendolife.com/new...l_abilities_in_arms/attachment/7/original.jpg

Anyway I'd be rooting for Dixie Kong out of any of the females. She's been in the shadows far too long. And I really really want Paper Mario. I've wanted him for so long. A fellow gamer can always dream right?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tracer is probably not a good choice on account of the bad publicity that they've been getting as of late. Besides Nintendo has plenty of female representatives who are equally famous they could pick from. You know...to represent their own franchise/company. And I doubt they want to get mixed into their affairs. (Someone in the last page voted for Tracer being a slot, that's why I posted this)

I really only hopped on here to see if this topic was still alive. Haven't been here in ages. I remember this was the place I last posted. Kind of glad that it was MinMin out of the Arms roster. It was either her or Springman I was wanting and I didn't know how they'd deal with him and his assist trophy. And that he kind of looks like Little Mac so MinMin it was.

Like seriously, put Little Mac and Springman's pose together and they look like they could be the same person.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7b/LittleMac_SSBU.png/1200px-LittleMac_SSBU.png
https://images.nintendolife.com/new...l_abilities_in_arms/attachment/7/original.jpg

Anyway I'd be rooting for Dixie Kong out of any of the females. She's been in the shadows far too long. And I really really want Paper Mario. I've wanted him for so long. A fellow gamer can always dream right?
I find it rather amusing how Tracer became the new hot topic after the Overwatch Switch case was leaked, than basically vanished after Blizzard shot themselves in the foot with the whole Hearthstone thing and then tried to patch it up without removing the bullet. Funny how fast the speculative scene can change, huh?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I know a few of my friends play the game, but I never really got into the game myself. So I don't know how famous it is that they deserve a slot in the roster. Arms is new yeah, but it's also a Nintendo game. It'd be weird for Nintendo to represent a fairly new third party game when we don't know where they will be years down the road.

Arms is new, but it works because the fighters are unique enough to give them an interesting moveset. And from what I hear, MinMin is really fun to use. Been too busy with covid-19 work hours to have the chance to test her out yet. And by that, I mean double shifts and all that fun stuff. (It's really not fun)

Overwatch is newish and Tracer just strikes me as someone who uses guns. Nothing new and exciting there that would challenge the moveset and make it fun. We already got Snake and Bayonetta filling the gun toting department. You don't want to bloat that unless it's unique.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
smashkirby smashkirby I saw on the eshop a game called SNK heroines it something like that. Would love something like that with Nintendo girls.
Oh, yeah. I know what you're talking about. I'd love to see something like that with Nintendo's gals myself. Bonus points if the playable cast consists of the characters seen in that 'Super Smash Sisters' fanart I posted earlier, in addition to some more females.

It makes me wonder though. How do you all think such a game would play anyways? Just like Smash Bros. or something different?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kind of believe we are getting at least one more female newcomer in the DLC lineup. My predictions are it being either Elma, Dixie Kong, or KOS-MOS. I could see maybe two of them getting in, but I feel like that's unlikely.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I kind of believe we are getting at least one more female newcomer in the DLC lineup. My predictions are it being either Elma, Dixie Kong, or KOS-MOS. I could see maybe two of them getting in, but I feel like that's unlikely.
personally i dont see any of them getting in, shame really

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Given how few female fighters we've gotten for DLC, I was so happy to see Min Min make it in, and hoping she isn't the last.
KOS-MOS would be reeeally cool since then we'd have a rep for the Xeno series pre-Xenoblade. Although I suppose Nintendo probably mainly only cares about Xenoblade... but anyway I'd love her.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
KOS-MOS would be reeeally cool since then we'd have a rep for the Xeno series pre-Xenoblade. Although I suppose Nintendo probably mainly only cares about Xenoblade... but anyway I'd love her.
well thats cause they only own the xenoblade games, references to any other xeno game are up to namco bandi. xenoblade and the other xenos arent part of the same series

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
well thats cause they only own the xenoblade games, references to any other xeno game are up to namco bandi. xenoblade and the other xenos arent part of the same series
Actually, Namco only owns Xenosaga. Square-Enix owns Xenogears.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I'd love playable Girl's Mode character because it would be hilarious! Something like when Villager or Wii Fit Trainer made it in. But I am up for just more female reps in general

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Tbh I'd love playable Girl's Mode character because it would be hilarious! Something like when Villager or Wii Fit Trainer made it in. But I am up for just more female reps in general
Oh, you mean Style Savvy, right? (That's what Girls Mode is called in the west.) Yeah, it'd be quite interesting to see the player character from one of those games make it into Smash. I'm pretty sure there's a support thread still here for that, right?

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you mean Style Savvy, right? (That's what Girls Mode is called in the west.) Yeah, it'd be quite interesting to see the player character from one of those games make it into Smash. I'm pretty sure there's a support thread still here for that, right?
Yes, correct. I use Girl's mode because I am confused, Style Savvy, Style Boutique, too many names for one series tbh! It'd be very unique, I think. And there was one, I am not sure if it is still active, tho

D

Deleted member

Yes, correct. I use Girl's mode because I am confused, Style Savvy, Style Boutique, too many names for one series tbh! It'd be very unique, I think. And there was one, I am not sure if it is still active, tho
Style savvy is actially unique tho

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Style savvy is actially unique tho
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ajbj/pc/change/index.html
While the main characters look quite cute, the cruel part is they didn't succeed to being recogizeable gaming character.

Smash-wise, I think this series need a new title for NS, and also at least needs to be recognized by at least appearing as spirits in Smash first. It's not really easy for an unconventional franchise to be recognized as main Smash. The Fitness titles, after all, made a really huge success for Nintendo to notice.

I just generally say Smash bros seem to lack a game franchise that specifically targets at girls interest, not just playing with female protagonists. However those kind of games, like said, usually don't receive same success that general party, fighting or platformer games do.

Romance visual novel is a classic case for that. There are decent stories, but they can hardly pull out a success gaming icon. Pretty much when people guessing KEOI rep for Smash they'd never think Angelique is an option. (and yes, the lack of language translation is a very huge obstacle for this category to win international attention)

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/ange_retour/

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just generally say Smash bros seem to lack a game franchise that specifically targets at girls interest,
This is some what sketchy wording.

Women are interested in more than just romance novels and fitness titles. If you mean games that have a proven big female player base, I'd say Animal Crossing is a pretty good example of one in Smash. Other examples could include Pokemon, and more anecdotal examples include Kirby and Bayonetta.

Top Bottom