• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

D

Deleted member

With regards to Elma, I think she's a mixed bag, but let's wait for ARMS.

In the meantime Ben Holt Ben Holt stop being a close-minded, half-hearted person.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
by that logic having a spirit ruins her chances
Not exactly. I would say Rex & Pyra would be in a worser position in that regard since Rex as a Mii costume, Xenoblade 2 music and Spirits in the game while Xenoblade X doesn't have any music and only has Elma as a Spirit I believe.

In the meantime Ben Holt Ben Holt stop being a close-minded, half-hearted person.
You tell him Lesley.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not exactly. I would say Rex & Pyra would be in a worser position in that regard since Rex as a Mii costume, Xenoblade 2 music and Spirits in the game while Xenoblade X doesn't have any music and only has Elma as a Spirit I believe.
but the logic is the same, something has content already in the game therefore it is less to have a dlc character than something that doesnt. you say it for music but its the same reasoning that people who think spirits deconfirm use. and if that was the case, why would apply to music but not spirits?

nope tatsu and that insufferable little pile of excrement and one of the mechs have spirits as well.

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie
If the ARMS character is one without a mii costume (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl) and one with spirit I think that would boost Elma's chances a lot, but if the character is one of them Elma won't have a chance against Rex & Pyra unless there are plans for a X sequel imo.

And even if they pick Min Min or someone that's a spirit without a costume it doesn't mean that Elma would surely get the slot over Rex & Pyra, there is the chance that Nintendo would choose them or that we don't even get a DLC Xeno character.

Btw, ARMS and X has the same number of spirits. (5 I think?)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I severely doubt Elma's chances. She's not even the playable character in XCX.
Then again Elma appeared along with Shulk and Fiora in Xenoblade 2, not Cross. Elma was chosen as the X representative
If the ARMS character is one without a mii costume (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl) and one with spirit I think that would boost Elma's chances a lot, but if the character is one of them Elma won't have a chance against Rex & Pyra unless there are plans for a X sequel imo.

And even if they pick Min Min or someone that's a spirit without a costume it doesn't mean that Elma would surely get the slot over Rex & Pyra, there is the chance that Nintendo would choose them or that we don't even get a DLC Xeno character.

Btw, ARMS and X has the same number of spirits. (5 I think?)
Yeah same number of spirits

but also, X could also get the Definitive Edition treatment the OG Xenoblade is getting, maybe it’ll be announced Q4 this year and Elma in Smash with it

D

Deleted member

Yeah same number of spirits

but also, X could also get the Definitive Edition treatment the OG Xenoblade is getting, maybe it’ll be announced Q4 this year and Elma in Smash with it
Or Game Awards maybe haha.

If it is even happening.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
ARMS is a nicely balanced game in geneder. I'm not sure about the theory of multiple alts, however, if it lives long enough for another title, it'd be nice to see two ARMS reps, one guy and one girl in a future Smash game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ARMS is a nicely balanced game in geneder. I'm not sure about the theory of multiple alts, however, if it lives long enough for another title, it'd be nice to see two ARMS reps, one guy and one girl in a future Smash game.
That is if we're getting a future Smash game...

That aside, if they truly want to show that aspect, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have to both be in...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

That aside, if they truly want to show that aspect, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have to both be in...
Smash is a cash cow. There's always gonna a next Smash game.
And as far as ARMS goes, I'm thinking that we're getting Spring Man as the default with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts, because they all share the same body frame, and they're the most basic characters.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Alis Landale from Phantasy Star
Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown
Sakura from Sakura Wars
Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia
Lora from Xenoblade 2 - Torna
Sophie, Ryza, or anyone from Atelier
Jill from VA-11 HALL-A

Just to name a few

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alis Landale from Phantasy Star
Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown
Sakura from Sakura Wars
Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia
Lora from Xenoblade 2 - Torna
Sophie, Ryza, or anyone from Atelier
Jill from VA-11 HALL-A

Just to name a few
Nako is a Mii...so save it for the next game, should SamSho hold up its popularity enough for Sakurai to reconsider. But Neptune though...great, you do know indies are cursed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

We will.

But it couldn't be a growth curve.

It would be a reset.

I honestly don't know how the thought could be otherwise- Ultimate will be the pinnacle, with rereleases probable for all future Nintendo consoles. I'd guess, unlikely to have new characters- unless Sakurai comes on board, but that would change the balance, once all is said and done.

But I would expect new modes.

D

Deleted member

We will.

But it couldn't be a growth curve.

It would be a reset.

I honestly don't know how the thought could be otherwise- Ultimate will be the pinnacle, with rereleases probable for all future Nintendo consoles. I'd guess, unlikely to have new characters- unless Sakurai comes on board, but that would change the balance, once all is said and done.

But I would expect new modes.
The way I see it is kinda like Tekken 7 handling cut characters...

D

Deleted member

Can you elaborate?
Back when they chose characters to cut, they had like a "one copy per card" type. That's how I see it upon analyzing the roster of Tekken 7 and older games.

Example: They put Eddy in but cut Christie to supplement one Capo in the game.

They cut Anna (from the base game) for Nina to be quite unique, though she got re-added

They cut Baek due to being similar to Hwoarang, who later inherited most of his older moves.

They cut Armor King due to being similar to King (but got re-added anyway)

So, putting this into Smash context, I'd say they'd only put one Link variant in the next game, cut Falco and Wolf to make sure Fox is the only spacie usable, and they'd leave Marth and tbh I dunno what they'll do to the rest of the FE characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Back when they chose characters to cut, they had like a "one copy per card" type. That's how I see it upon analyzing the roster of Tekken 7 and older games.

Example: They put Eddy in but cut Christie to supplement one Capo in the game.

They cut Anna (from the base game) for Nina to be quite unique, though she got re-added

They cut Baek due to being similar to Hwoarang, who later inherited most of his older moves.

They cut Armor King due to being similar to King (but got re-added anyway)

So, putting this into Smash context, I'd say they'd only put one Link variant in the next game, cut Falco and Wolf to make sure Fox is the only spacie usable, and they'd leave Marth and tbh I dunno what they'll do to the rest of the FE characters.
Gotcha... but that still doesn't cut the majority of the characters.
There's only a handful of characters to whom that would apply. :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultwolf:

I would agree- majority of those are given cuts. The few that aren't to me- Ganondorf, Luigi- would be reimagined.

I suppose that's what I see as a given for the next game. Characters being intricately reimagined, especially the long standing characters, for actual full redevelopment. A reboot.

I'd imagine 20+ core characters, another dozen or so DLC, and majority of that would be- very difficult with the current size of the roster.
Just cutting the echo-esque misses so many.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
tbf Xenoblade X WAS nominated for TGA once in i think 2016. Xeno 2 wasn't cause it came out too late.
Wait a minute?! Rex was too late to get into the base game and Season Pass 1 due to his game coming out too late after the finalization of Ultimate's project plan. X wasn't too late so Elma confirmed! :4pacman:

I wish though. :awesome:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait a minute?! Rex was too late to get into the base game and Season Pass 1 due to his game coming out too late after the finalization of Ultimate's project plan. X wasn't too late so Elma confirmed! :4pacman:

I wish though. :awesome:
I meant that Xenoblade 2 also came out too late for TGA 2017. No idea why they didn’t use it again for TGA 2018 though...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I meant that Xenoblade 2 also came out too late for TGA 2017. No idea why they didn’t use it again for TGA 2018 though...
I reference Sakurai mentioning Rex was too late for Smash because of you mentioning Xenoblade 2 was too late to get nominated for TGA.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gotcha... but that still doesn't cut the majority of the characters.
There's only a handful of characters to whom that would apply. :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultwolf:

I would agree- majority of those are given cuts. The few that aren't to me- Ganondorf, Luigi- would be reimagined.

I suppose that's what I see as a given for the next game. Characters being intricately reimagined, especially the long standing characters, for actual full redevelopment. A reboot.

I'd imagine 20+ core characters, another dozen or so DLC, and majority of that would be- very difficult with the current size of the roster.
Just cutting the echo-esque misses so many.
after five games and fours games respectively i dont think luigi and ganon are gonna be reimagined. lucas and toon link have been in three games and are series staples at this point. jigglypuff was one of the originals and lucario was just voted 2nd favourite pokemon they aint going anywhere. isabelle is the most popular character from one of nintendos biggest series shes not getting cut

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
after five games and fours games respectively i dont think luigi and ganon are gonna be reimagined. lucas and toon link have been in three games and are series staples at this point. jigglypuff was one of the originals and lucario was just voted 2nd favourite pokemon they aint going anywhere. isabelle is the most popular character from one of nintendos biggest series shes not getting cut
I think that's where we vary on what the next game will be.
I don't see any reason they would just redo Ultimate with cuts. There is no way to market that.
Brawl was the pinnacle, except that the gameplay left a lot for many fans to be desired.
Sma4h found a stellar balance in gameplay to appeal to fans of all varieties, but came out on a system that required too many limitations, primarily sales.

Smash Ultimate is not just a name- the DLC, the success of the Switch, the early release- I don't see Nintendo trying to tamper with this.

I see a reboot, and a reboot means going more in depth with the mechanics of each character. Quite possibly with a new director at the helm.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that's where we vary on what the next game will be.
I don't see any reason they would just redo Ultimate with cuts. There is no way to market that.
Brawl was the pinnacle, except that the gameplay left a lot for many fans to be desired.
Sma4h found a stellar balance in gameplay to appeal to fans of all varieties, but came out on a system that required too many limitations, primarily sales.

Smash Ultimate is not just a name- the DLC, the success of the Switch, the early release- I don't see Nintendo trying to tamper with this.

I see a reboot, and a reboot means going more in depth with the mechanics of each character. Quite possibly with a new director at the helm.
but why would they reboot it? ultimate is just a name. this is by no means the end of the series, thats just wild speculation based on very little

by your own reasoning, wouldnt a reboot be tampering with it?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So anyone hear about rumors of League of Legends?

I bring this up because Ahri is arguably the face of the series.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Its just a random 4chan leak that so far only got the trials of mana spirit event correct. Hard to say if its true or not.

I dont play much LoL but sexy fox girl in smash? Sign me up

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
I'm confused as to why people would say "no". To me that actively seems as if you don't want a female character. I mean, I get not caring, but why actively go against it? For me as a trans woman, gender of the character is actually quite important. I simply don't feel too comfortable playing as male characters. Luckily, there are a handful of decent female characters already in the game, but I don't see why adding more would hurt. I'd definitely welcome a female addition for Fighter Pass 5. They could also go the route of this one being all male and the next one being all female. Kazooie doesn't count for me either, she is a secondary addition to Banjo who's name comes first.
Some of the badass female characters I want for smash, and yes I'm aware that some of these have no chance: - Chun-Li - Street Fighter(would've been better than Ken, let's be honest)
- Tracer/D.Va/Sombra - Overwatch
- Seraphina - Disgea
- Shantae - Shantae: Half Genie Hero
- Ahri - League of Legends
- Morrigan - Darkstalkers
- Sylveon - Pokemon (yeah it's technically mixed, but I'd put in the realm of a very feminine pokemon like Jigglypuff)
- Ashley - Warioware (they could get real creative with this one)
- Junko Enoshima - Danganronpa
- Callie - Splatoon
- Cynder - Spyro
- Arfoire - Hyperdimension Neptunia (Some villain representation here as well)
So I posted this on the last thread and I'd like to add to it.
I still stand by what I said regarding Kazooie as she isn't a solely female character, but with the addition of Byleth it appears we did get a somewhat female character (I have never played fire emblem so I'm unsure of which gender was used in those games). However, Byleth's main skin appears to be the male variant meaning we still have yet to get an actual female character (as far as I am aware) for DLC.
With the new DLC character being from ARMS, there is a good chance for a female character given that ARMS has multiple interesting female characters. I would personally be hoping for Twintelle or Dr. Coyle but I expect if they use a female from ARMS it will be Ribbon Girl or maybe Min Min. One can only hope.

I've seen some speculation we'll get a Gen 8 Pokemon, and if that was the case Hatterene would be a good feminine addition however I do see them going with either Cinderace or Inteleon with their Final Smash being their Gigantamax forms. As for the League of Legends rumours, Ahri would be a good addition hence me listing her the first time - if not her maybe Jinx or Zyra would be good additions also, but I'm just not sure how "well known" those are so I doubt they'd be added.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
but why would they reboot it? ultimate is just a name. this is by no means the end of the series, thats just wild speculation based on very little

by your own reasoning, wouldnt a reboot be tampering with it?
Because they can just re-release Ultimate for several iterations.

Most fighting games, games with a recurring cast of characters, tend to reboot over time.
This goes for Fighting games over time (especially ones that have been around for a long time- the best example being mortal kombat, with many characters they want to bring in, but also enough to deepen the gameplay).
But also for Nintendo games (Star Fox, Zelda, Mario- a constant reboot).

Essentially, its a way to allow for a full reiminagining of a character. There isnt the real potential for growth now. Not to mention, this version of Smash may be Sakurai's. Starting over gives another a chance to actually succeed with their vision.

A reboot is the best way for them to not have to 'beat' the legacy of Ultimate, but instead, swerve left and try something new.
Or who knows- maybe we won't get a reboot. Maybe we will get Smash Battle Kart, or another genre of Smash -esque game.
Or maybe we will get the same game with the same rules, but a different premise for characters/theme- like RPG vs Platformer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because they can just re-release Ultimate for several iterations.

Most fighting games, games with a recurring cast of characters, tend to reboot over time.
This goes for Fighting games over time (especially ones that have been around for a long time- the best example being mortal kombat, with many characters they want to bring in, but also enough to deepen the gameplay).
But also for Nintendo games (Star Fox, Zelda, Mario- a constant reboot).

Essentially, its a way to allow for a full reiminagining of a character. There isnt the real potential for growth now. Not to mention, this version of Smash may be Sakurai's. Starting over gives another a chance to actually succeed with their vision.

A reboot is the best way for them to not have to 'beat' the legacy of Ultimate, but instead, swerve left and try something new.
Or who knows- maybe we won't get a reboot. Maybe we will get Smash Battle Kart, or another genre of Smash -esque game.
Or maybe we will get the same game with the same rules, but a different premise for characters/theme- like RPG vs Platformer.
ok lets break that down. what is there to say they would rerelease ultimate several times.

smash is already very different from other fighting games so you cant really expect it to follow the same pattern
apart from star fox i dont think any nintendo franchise has ever had a "reboot"

what do you mean by potential for growth? do you mean changing how a character plays or adding new series or what? you didnt finish that one, sakurai's what? and if its last smash game he's said that before.

the sort of reboot you're talking about, would potentially change a lot of what smash is at its core which would a very risky thing to do and it wouldnt make sense for them to do it
smash kart just seems unlikely all together and a whole smash game with a theme that sounds like theme theyd do for one of the tournaments or a splatfest would be far more restricting and would certainly not allow for growth

D

Deleted member

With regards to that LoL stuff...please don't bring up 4chan stuff here. They aren't the best source.

But if you ask me, I'm perfectly fine.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
For the most part, I'm cool with whoever as long as they're not getting in because of their labels. (Example, I want Arle from PuyoPuyo, but would be appalled to find out that the decision was made based on her gender.) Furthermore, I'd expect females to get in for the same reasons any male would; no more, no less. Pic unrelated.
1567047377618m.jpg

I know I'm late for this one, but methinks the LoL x Smash talk are only gaining traction from that one rumor with Trials of Mana spirits.

Top Bottom