• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

D

Deleted member

We are officially into Fighters Pass Vol. 2. A new wave of characters, and more new worlds to discover. As we march into this new era of new characters, there will always be the lingering issue of when is Sakurai adding another female into the game. And there will still be people who wished there were more female characters. Such is the case for Smash DLC.

Now, you could argue that we already got Fem!Byleth for our female character, but why not have future seasons get more females? That would be interesting. Seeing more females can indeed bring more people into the game, and that is a fact. Smash 4 introduced more females into the game, but looking at Ultimate's roster of newcomers seeing that only a fraction of them are women; it's pretty much going to frustrate a couple of the players at home.

Yes, you could argue that I technically got what I wanted, but throughout my time here in this website, and throughout the time I have been supporting female characters, this slowly turned into a general Smash problem as a whole, and thus, while this problem is here, I will be here to help people be informed and to help people raise awareness of this issue.

In addition to that, this will also be formatted into a support thread version, such that it can just be as accessible to everyone.

Without further adieu,

WHY SUPPORT?

1. Low Ratio of female fighters in both base game and DLC - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's female fighters currently take up only 18% of the roster. Compared to other modern fighting games with a greater ratio such as Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, and many others. With that in mind, Super Smash Brothers can have a much greater ratio, if not better, because of its scope. As such, there are many possible candidates you can add to boost this ratio, though sadly, some of them aren't being chosen in favor of males.
  2. Adds Diversity to the Roster - So far the roster is pretty diverse in general, but in terms of gender, there isn't that much to say. As such, having more women would definitely change up the pace of things, opposed to the numerous male candidates we keep seeing normally.
  3. Showcases what Female character can do (generally Girl Power) - Who says women aren't exactly interesting? I'd say they're wrong, and that there are female options that can be just as interesting as the male options.
  4. #RepresentationMatters - As an old seminar I attended once said, "People want to be able to see characters who are like them in the media they consume. They should."
I personally admit that there isn't enough stuff to be said, but to cope up for this, I am currently writing an essay about this topic that can be viewed at Google Docs. Please be patient.

SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL

A ResetEra thread that discusses the presentation of Smash's women in the roster, along with further discussion.
Source: Neoxon Neoxon

A ResetEra thread that analyzes the female fighter ratio of other fighting games (Smash Included)
Source: Neoxon Neoxon

Two YouTube Videos that discuss 100 possible female candidates for the Super Smash Bros. roster.
Source: GameXplain

A video regarding the portrayal of women in media and video games in general, just to give the readers a full outlook on the problem. There is a playlist linked to it regarding the full season.
Source: Feminist Frequency

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So uh what happened to the first one? Got deleted or something?
Basically the older thread is kinda out of business since I deleted my old account, which was linked to that thread. Wanting a thread I can manage more effectively, I created a new one.

D

Deleted member

I support 2B and Arle and I think they have decent-good chances of being in the pass.
Hmm...depending on how Nintendo picked the characters, I say. We still have no idea who FP6 is, so they're kinda in the safe zone. No one is deconfirming yet. Verge, Sabi, and the higher-ups haven't said anything yet. Safe to say that all is fair game.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
To throw in my opinion quickly regarding females in Smash and even Nintendo itself. Last point for you guys.

1. I'm all for more female representation and I do think Smash should get at least one more in there. About half of my top 10 most wanted are probably female.
Sakura Shinguji, My Half-Esper Goddess Terra Branford and Estelle Bright come straight to mind. The first two characters are a massive influence of my own story to show how important a few of these are to me dearly. (Few of you guys are hopefully interested in hearing but I digress)

2. I've always for the past five years at least had a mandatory female main as secondary. Kitana in MK, Lightning in Dissidia, Naoto in Persona 4 Arena for instance. It always apply to Smash with Lucina taking it up in Smash 4 for instance. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more options.

3. As someone who was taught to look at specific target audiences in media studies, one thing that does annoy a little is I wish Nintendo would push a few more females.
Mainly to the younger female demographic. Not saying for Nintendo to make their own Disney Princesses but just to have them beyond Peach, Zelda and the big series. Lucina comes to mind as a great example. I think her design and swordsmanship would give that demographic another cool and awesome character to be inspired by.

4. As I've said to a few of you guys before, I would be a little annoyed if we went the whole thing without a full on female, no gender switch rep. Not condemning Nintendo to 20 different versions of hell level but more of a throw hands up "da hell Nintendo?".

5. More to remind you guys.
I appreciate the likes of Lesley and co really pushing for the community to talk about it and provided they don't go too forcive (which seeing them so far they definitely haven't), I'm happy to show my appreciation for it.
Personally I don't really get feminism or gender representation in a high level but that's because there are far more bigger problems in my view of the world. Reformation of the nations system for the 21st century, nuclear weapons, climate change etc. I digress.
I do support it though on a lower level.

There you go for the thoughts.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I’m all for new female characters but I’d rather not have them if they are added solely to fill some quota which is made by the community because then they’d probably have boring movesets. Id much rather prioritise moveset potential over gender ratio. If they adhere to both criteria, good but would still sacrifice a few female characters in return for coherent unique playstyles and movesets. Only reason I bring this up is because some people are so drawn towards female characters and nitpicking they care less about the potential and more about the characters identity. Not to say there aren’t unique female characters like Arle, Kosmos, Amaterasu etc who I would love to see in the game because of the potential they bring

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I want Mileena from Mortal Kombat.
OR
Guillotine... She was a character created by marvel exclusively for a video game. She uses a sword, but she also has some other moves.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
There are three ladies, not third party, that I'd like to see.

1. Medusa - Both female and villain. I suppose she could work as an echo and just have a unique Final Smash where she tranforms into a floating head with one eye. However, I think her moveset in comparison to Palutena ought to be something like Isabelle/Luigi where there are allusions to their counterparts, but more or less unique.

2. Krystal - I know there are mixed feelings about the character, but if she was included among the Starfox cast, she would play far differently than the others. She was playable in Starfox Adventures for just the beginning portion, but the staff moves that Fox used would be incorporated into a moveset for Krystal. I see her default appearance being based on Adventure and the alt being Assault. Maybe Nintendo would go one step beyond and have more outfits for Krystal and each one having a palette swap: Default, Assault, Command (Wouldn't have a palette because one look would be Team Starfox and the other would be her Team Starwolf outfit ), "Kursed".

3. Captain Syrup - She's my top choice of the three. We could use more Wario platformer content and since Wario is more based on Wario Ware, she would represent the platformer side. I see her moveset being based on some of the enemy types found in those games where she a character. For example, her on screen appearance is arriving via the balloon seen in WL2. She could have a boomerang that works like the one used by Dangerous Duck. Standard Special could be the pirate bomb she uses in WL2's battle in Syrup Castle, the one that creates a flame pillar. Final Smash would be summoning Bobo, the giant bird who then sends feathers flying horizontally. It would work something like Swordfighter's Final Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some ideas:

1st Parties:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Elma
Octoling (Echo) (Female as default)
Ribbon Girl
Twintelle
Medusa (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)
Lip
Fiora
Krystal
Ashley
Lyn
Tetra
Viridi (Echo)
Anna
Tiki
Linkle
Captain Syrup
Toadette (Toad echo)
Pyra/Mythra (with Rex)
Sami
Paula
Kumatora
Jody Summer
Midna
Adeleine and Ribbon

3rd Parties:
Shantae
Chun-Li
Terra Branford
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Jeanne (Echo)
Tifa Lockhart
Ms. Pac-Man (Echo)
Roll (Echo)
Morrigan
Arle
Reimu
Coco (Crash echo)
KOS-MOS

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone. Seems like there's been a steady supply of new people.

D

Deleted member

I support for new female reps! Here are some I'd like to see:

-Adeleine and Ribbon
-Arle Nadja
-Jill Valentine
-Ring Fit Adventurer

Only one I would've liked to see in the base game is Celica.
Arle has a shot for this season. Considering the fan support, I agree.

Troykv

Smash Master
My most wanted will always be Micaiah... And I can't deny one of the reasons she is my most wanted is because she is a girl xD

D

Deleted member

My most wanted will always be Micaiah... And I can't deny one of the reasons she is my most wanted is because she is a girl xD
Betting on the fact that she will get in coz after some time Sakurai has to celebrate Radiant Dawn's 20th anniversary.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I think the female representation in Smash could be better. There are a lot of female characters in Smash who are damsels in distress or female versions of male characters. Either that or they are somewhat sexualized like some of Samus' outfits and Bayonetta.

I think Smash needs more "unique" female characters.

D

Deleted member

I think the female representation in Smash could be better. There are a lot of female characters in Smash who are damsels in distress or female versions of male characters. Either that or they are somewhat sexualized like some of Samus' outfits and Bayonetta.

I think Smash needs more "unique" female characters.
Speaking of those two, we have yet to get another solo female character who is the main protagonist of their game. Someone like Lara Croft.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well toadette would be my most wanted female character but id hope to get her with toad/captain toad and support her equally so she is one of my most wanted, but i would take them in any form, alts, echoes, with any of them as the default

D

Deleted member

well toadette would be my most wanted female character but id hope to get her with toad/captain toad and support her equally so she is one of my most wanted, but i would take them in any form, alts, echoes, with any of them as the default
Good luck coz Toad is still connected to Peach/Daisy...but there could be a way...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
well we toad fans hold on to the hope that if chrom can be playable and still part of robin's final smash the toad can be made playable as well
Me with Mecha-Fiora also, who’s currently in Shulk’s Final Smash. Hoping a miracle happens

also Rathalos is the first dual boss & Assist Trophy so he’s set a precedent

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I don't care a lot about the representation argument, I just think certain female fighters would be cool. My top picks would be Arle, Reimu, 2B, and Kos-Mos. Lara Croft would be kind of boring imo, and I don't really see Jill as a possibility at this point. Hopefully at least one of those 4 get in.

D

Deleted member

I don't care a lot about the representation argument, I just think certain female fighters would be cool. My top picks would be Arle, Reimu, 2B, and Kos-Mos. Lara Croft would be kind of boring imo, and I don't really see Jill as a possibility at this point. Hopefully at least one of those 4 get in.
I mean, representation isn't the only reason some people support female fighters. Most of the male demographci sometimes say "they want more waifus" or anything.

D

Deleted member

I want Ammy not because she would fit a quota but because she would be fun to play in smash. She would also bring so beautiful graphics
Ammy fills in a lot of unique aspects in the roster should she be in:

• Goddess archetype (Palutena)
  • Quadruped (Ivysaur)
  • Unique fighting style
Overall, there's a lot more stuff she can fill other than just the quota. Perhaps the same could be said of all female character reps in the game.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ammy fills in a lot of unique aspects in the roster should she be in:

• Goddess archetype (Palutena)
  • Quadruped (Ivysaur)
  • Unique fighting style
Overall, there's a lot more stuff she can fill other than just the quota. Perhaps the same could be said of all female character reps in the game.
Man, whiping and giant swords around the stage would be ****ing amazing

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Nice to have a fresh start.

I'll still be holding on to my pipe dream of a Giana Sisters challenger pack, no matter how long it takes!

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think Velvet from Tales of Berseria has a chance? She could be interesting to see.

D

Deleted member

Anyone think Velvet from Tales of Berseria has a chance? She could be interesting to see.
Most likely Lloyd would be the one to be chosen for the Tales rep. As much as I'd say she'd be awesome...y'know Sakurai and his protagonist-first policy.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I know everyone's had their fair share of swordsmen & Fire Emblem reps, but what do you think about Marvel's Guillotine being in Smash? She uses a sword yes, but she could bring new things to the table just the same.

She's a marvel character, but she was created for a mobile fighting game called 'Marvel's Contetest of Champions.'

While I don't know if she exists outside the Battlerealm (the fictional universe in which her game takes place), I think it could work. She has moveset potential thanks to her home game, and could be one of the only options for a Marvel Rep in Smash right now (Civil Warrior or Ultron Sigma could also work in my opinion, though)...

Am I truely the only one who wants this? She's decently well-known among Marvel & Gaming fans... (Obviously I'll be working on a moveset in a while)

D

Deleted member

Am I truely the only one who wants this? She's decently well-known among Marvel & Gaming fans... (Obviously I'll be working on a moveset in a while)
Unfortunately, the perception is that Sakurai would only choose to include gaming content. It's kinda confusing tbh

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, the perception is that Sakurai would only choose to include gaming content. It's kinda confusing tbh
So what ypur saying is that people don't think about her because she's connected to a game where she is one of the... Like 10/400 characters that weren't already a thing created for something else? I did find on epost about another character from the series, and I've made a post on the Directory marked 'The Champions'

D

Deleted member

So what ypur saying is that people don't think about her because she's connected to a game where she is one of the... Like 10/400 characters that weren't already a thing created for something else? I did find on epost about another character from the series, and I've made a post on the Directory marked 'The Champions'
Yes, she does fit the bill as a game character. Yes, she does have what it takes. Yes, she does have the teeniest of chances. But the thing is, how do you think exactly is the community going to react to her? I kind of see the problem similar to Sora's wherein she is affiliated to gaming but she is affiliated with something that isn't too much related to gaming.

Sora is created by both Disney and Square, though a lot of people seem to doubt him because he is affiliated with the Disney brand. As such, it's gonna open a big can of worms with "Oh, Nintendo is playing stuff with Disney, now can we get Mickey Mouse into Smash?". Same with her, because "Oh, Marvel is now affiliated with Smash; where's Iron Man/Spider-Man/etc.?"

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I do hope we get more playable female characters in this next pass, though who knows how it'll turn out? There's no shortage of good playable choices, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member

I do hope we get more playable female characters in this next pass, though who knows how it'll turn out? There's no shortage of good playable choices, that's for sure.
Really depends on Sakurai's choices this time around. I mean, he did take note of Brawl then having fewer female, which is why he upped the ante going into Smash 4. But going from Smash 4 into Ultimate, now that's another story.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I guess I'll be the first to say that I'd like to see Mona (from WarioWare) come to Smash Bros.

Honestly, I guess I'm biased for saying it, but it leaves a bit of a weird taste in my mouth to see that Mona didn't make GameXplain's 'Top 100 Females for Smash' list...

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Well only time will tell if we get more female fighters in this 2nd pass (i`m actually rooting for 2 or 3 more). Also unlike buying the whole pass like i did with the 1st one (which i still regret doing so) i`m just gonna buy the DLC individually for the sake of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom