• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways of practicing Wobbling?

chriszeo

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to practice wobbling so that my friends will hate me, but I just can't get it down. I'm a musician, so I'm pretty confident I've got the timing down, it's just a matter of technique I guess? I found that going into training mode and seeing when the combo counter stays at 1 tends to be when I'm wobbling correctly, but I'm not sure how to translate that into a real match. Any advice?

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to practice wobbling so that my friends will hate me, but I just can't get it down. I'm a musician, so I'm pretty confident I've got the timing down, it's just a matter of technique I guess? I found that going into training mode and seeing when the combo counter stays at 1 tends to be when I'm wobbling correctly, but I'm not sure how to translate that into a real match. Any advice?
Shield Grabbing and jump cancel grabs are usually good places to start a wobble. Just don’t forget the desync and that Ftilt and Dtilt both work.

Last edited:

CkBk

Smash Rookie
Wobbling is a three part process, starting the wobble, maintaining the wobble, and ending the wobble.

for starting the wobble you can learn the regular way, or jump ahead a little and learn Tomber wobbling, it's a technique for getting TAS or near-TAS wobble starts.

for a regular wobble start, just grab, press A once so that popo pummels and nana jabs, then quickly move the stick to the tilt zone and press A again for a nana Ftilt. after that you'd transition to the 200BPM.

for a Tomber wobble you first need to learn JC grabs for grabbing out of dash/run and get used to doing an option-select A press after your grabs so that you will get a pummel on/near the first possible frame if the grab lands, if the grab whiffs you'll just input A during it's endlag and nothing will happen. if the grab lands you want to hold that A press and move the stick to buffer a nana tilt, i use Ftilt for standing grabs and uptilt for dash JC grabs and wavedash grabs. after the buffered tilt simply transition to 200BPM if the buffered tilt was an Ftilt, if it was an uptilt press A again, then move the stick to forward tilt range and transition to 200BPM.

For maintaining the wobble first listen to a 200BPM metronome or song and simply tap your finger to the beat, don't try wobbling just yet, you're simply trying to get the rhythm ingrained. Next try to wobble with just game music on, don't worry about any sort of sound, wobbling along to music is hard because you need to adjust the wobble to match the rhythm which is very difficult. Once you can wobble regularly, do it without sound in order to remove dependancy on sound cues, you don't want to drop wobbles because you can't hear the match in a loud venue, next listen to non-200bpm music while wobbling, then start looking away from the screen.
after all that, you should be able to wobble through anything, turn to your mates and tell them what they did wrong while you wobble them.

for ending the wobble ALWAYS do a throw into a smash, if you smash them directly out of your grab it gives them a chance to amsah tech or slideoff DI and live, throwing them removes this.

Top Bottom