• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waveland f-tilts?

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
I've been experimenting with wavelanding and trying to perfect the waveland itself as well as adding in attacks afterwards. When is the best time to throw out a WL jab and how useful can WL f-tilts be? Is WL jab better?

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
It's good as a mixup in your movement, and to increase your range. When you pre-preemptively read their movement to try and punish your timing when they don't expect the WL, you can catch them by surprise. There's many different situations you could use it in, but some of the expamples would be edgeguarding from afar, or just plain footsies.

In a nutshell, jab is better to get quick hits in/saving yourself out of a combo faster, while f-tilt is more of a spacing option to zone out the opponent.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
wL grab whenever possible, or use whatever move will be fully spaced given the wL. At low% you can often begin holding down and forward as soon as you ftilt or whatever, so if you get hit you can ASDI grab them.

Last edited:

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
I have never considered wl grab/ wl crouch cancel before. Also, I feel like wl (optional) f-tilts can be good for adding variation to my edge guarding game.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I had a typo I fixed, but any time you do a move, as soon as you do the move, you need to be holding the stick for DI in case you get hit during that move. Then you need to decide whether you need to survival DI, combo DI, or ASDI grab (or use other ASDI options) depending mainly on your percent.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
I like WL back ftilt as an option when you think they are going to try to space a quick move. The ftilt off a good waveland is spaced to hit where you land and it scoots your hurtbox out of the way. WL forward ftilt covers a surprising amount of space if you want to apply some pressure and gain some ground.

Also, work on fast falled WL out of a short hop (different combinations of the direction, length and jump direction). It's one of the quickest ways Ganon can cover ground and makes your WL options way less telegraphed

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
WL back f-tilt is a great tool for trying to get someone to react as well.
I had a typo I fixed, but any time you do a move, as soon as you do the move, you need to be holding the stick for DI in case you get hit during that move. Then you need to decide whether you need to survival DI, combo DI, or ASDI grab (or use other ASDI options) depending mainly on your percent.
I've heard the term ASDI and I know what it stands for but I don't know how to perform it or what it's effect is

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
ASDI (when you're on the ground) basically moves your character a tiny bit for better positioning and gives you the ability to react sooner by making you enter the standing animation (it does this so well it is often better than a true CC) sooner than you normally would. This also happens in shield. If your damage is too high (the direction/power of knockback of the move hitting you, as well as spacing, determines how high), you won't be able to stand, and you'll become airborne with a bad DI input. So you must be able to decide what DI you should use, based on your options (mainly your percent).

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
Is there any input I do to perform ASDI or is it something that happens automatically? For example, can I ASDI if I'm getting hit by rapid jabs by a character such as sheik?

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
You just have to hold down(preferably on the C-stick) while you're getting hit, and you will SDI on the last frame of hitstun. It's basically a weaker, easier version of SDI.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The control stick can do SDI and ASDI just fine, as long as you're wanting to input them in the same direction or similar, which is usually the case. So I'd recommend the control stick.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Say you're getting dair'd by fox and you're SDIing behind him with the control stick, it doesn't hurt to hold the c-stick in that same direction for extra insurance.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Say you're getting dair'd by fox and you're SDIing behind him with the control stick, it doesn't hurt to hold the c-stick in that same direction for extra insurance.
It also doesn't help.

Won't holding the c-stick initiate a smash attack?
No, if you're already mid move and you hold the c-stick, you won't automatically smash attack when that move is done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom