• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing with ROB?

AndrewMarthh

Smash Rookie
I started with PM about 2-3 months ago and have played Marth since with occasional ROB, but 99% of the time as Marth. I wanted to try to have ROB as a secondary but I know they have totally different play styles. I had a few questions if you guys don't mind answering.
Is wave dashing important with ROB?
Should the laser/downB be used frequently?
What moves should I avoid with ROB? I've heard his shield roll is one of the worst.
Lastly, what characters should I switch to ROB when playing against? In other words, what characters have worse match ups with ROB compared to Marth, if any?
Thanks guise

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
OMG ANOTHER LA ROB
GO TO THE SHRIMP OR SUMMERCON AND I WILL TEACH YOU EVERYTHING

ROB is a great character for camping and spacing and controlling the stage from a distance. He works a lot like samus, with less ground mobility but more aerial mobility.
Yes his laser and gyro are godlike- learn to spam them for max efficiency and learn to glide toss so you can use gyro to move around quickly and put out long reach hitboxes at the same time. Wavedash is mostly important for picking up gyro, but if you can't tilit pivot, you can also use it like a slightly worse version of Samus's for ftilt/dtilt/fsmash spacing etc, and of course wavelanding is still the fastest way to access platforms (which btw, platforms are bad for ROB).
His rolls are very bad, fortunately ROB doesn't have very many bad moves otherwise, if any. Most of them are average or so, or he lacks other traits like ground speed or aerial mobility (the king jiggs and wario have) to make them above average. ROBs shield is also bad, try to crouch cancel for dsmashes/grabs/dtilts/upsmashes instead, or just DD and try to grab, which leads to his godlike dthrow.
Any character with an easy combo weight and no ability to deal with projectiles is bound to have a bad match-up with ROB. Bowser, Gannon get shot on by ROB. Same goes for characters that are weak to aerial approaches and crouch canceling, two things ROB excels at.

AndrewMarthh

Smash Rookie
OMG ANOTHER LA ROB
GO TO THE SHRIMP OR SUMMERCON AND I WILL TEACH YOU EVERYTHING

ROB is a great character for camping and spacing and controlling the stage from a distance. He works a lot like samus, with less ground mobility but more aerial mobility.
Yes his laser and gyro are godlike- learn to spam them for max efficiency and learn to glide toss so you can use gyro to move around quickly and put out long reach hitboxes at the same time. Wavedash is mostly important for picking up gyro, but if you can't tilit pivot, you can also use it like a slightly worse version of Samus's for ftilt/dtilt/fsmash spacing etc, and of course wavelanding is still the fastest way to access platforms (which btw, platforms are bad for ROB).
His rolls are very bad, fortunately ROB doesn't have very many bad moves otherwise, if any. Most of them are average or so, or he lacks other traits like ground speed or aerial mobility (the king jiggs and wario have) to make them above average. ROBs shield is also bad, try to crouch cancel for dsmashes/grabs/dtilts/upsmashes instead, or just DD and try to grab, which leads to his godlike dthrow.
Any character with an easy combo weight and no ability to deal with projectiles is bound to have a bad match-up with ROB. Bowser, Gannon get shot on by ROB. Same goes for characters that are weak to aerial approaches and crouch canceling, two things ROB excels at.
Haha I'm definitely going to Shrimp & Summercon. I look forward to learning your ways, master. Anyways, thanks for the help. It'll be useful in my future endeavors with ROB.

Top Bottom