• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing and Dash Dancing

WindMage

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

I seem to be having issues combining my wavedashes with dash dancing. I'll do a wavedash < try to dash dance and then marth will stand there. He'll look in both directions, but he's not dash dancing. I also don't have a CRT yet so idk if the timing is hard because I'm not using one. Regardless I don't no if I should be doing it faster or slower if he's just standing there when I try to move back and forth.

Thanks,

WindMage

Pauer

The Pauerful
The reason why you turn around instead of dashing is because you input the dash too early. Leave yourself a lot of time so that you get the dash consistently, then speed it up slowly.

Zhulong

Smash Rookie
I practice on an LCD screen and I haven't noticed it affecting my DDs very much tbh. Pauers advice is good, I would practice doing longer dashes and slowly speed up the turning so your dashes get shorter and shorter.

guffawkle

Smash Rookie
Your post is a little vague, but I will assume that you wavedash, then input a dash in the opposite direction, but Marth just turns in place. This is because you have to smash the stick from neutral to fully back within one frame to get a dash back without going through the turn animation, which lasts 11 frames (Don't quote me). This is actually a programming issue, so dash backs are never guaranteed with any character. Even top players have to deal with this. The only guaranteed solution is to dash forward first for as few frames as possible, then back. Note that if you keep holding back past the turn animation you will dash, it just puts you at risk of unpredictable and unnecessary lag.

Assuming this is what you are dealing with, here is a detailed explanation:
http://www.meleeitonme.com/back-dashes-smash-turns/

Last edited:
Top Bottom