• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash with One Finger with Sakurai’s grip the next gen claw grip (instant aerials,multishines, easy ASDI)

Metal#008

Smash Rookie
For those entering the smash community in the post doc kid area it is difficult to comprehend and master the ocean of tech skill that has surfaced over the years. This is most true for fox and this post will revolve around the character. As one of these new comers and an engineering student I choose to reinvent how I thought about the game once I discovered top level melee.

I have made a crude video demonstrating how to WAVEDASH WITH ONE FINGER. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_DMZYKXpM

With more support I plan to create more in-depth videos of how to utilize this style.

In this post I will be going over:

1. ASDI Down in neutral
2. Multishines
3. Jc up smash
4. One finger wavedashes

This post will become more sophisticated as I become more accustomed to the smashboards.

1. ASDI down In neutral using the c-stick can be difficult with a normal grip. So I began my path here by trying to learn claw. But it was difficult and ultimately crippled my game play. So I was placed in a position of needing to ASDI Down while dash dancing without claw and without losing out on my offensive options. To overcome this I realized I must use more then just the end of my thumb to input. By holding down on the c-stick with the meaty part of our thumb just below the first joint. You are able to tech must attacks without reacting.

If this doesn’t make sense please look at the thumbnail of the video posted above to understand how the buttons are mapped.

2. Multishines methods are well documented and explored. This is nothing new but rather then doing a x to b slide we use y. This makes the guitar strumming motion much easier. To take this a step further we use a rolling motion. Using the end of your thumb for inputting jump and the second joint of your thumb to hit b. This allows for one fluid down struck from y to b without moving your thumb off of either buttons. It is important to note that you must rotate your wrist over the side of the controller to achieve this.

3. The next logical improvement after realize the importance of optimizing dexterity of Hand movements was the jc up smash. Since your “palm” is now consistently resting on the c-stick and your thumb is permanently on y jc up smashes are done similarly to the multishines method. When you go to press y flick your wrist forward. Doing this will hit the c-stick immediately after Y is pressed. This is easy,biomechanics of the Hand work very well this way.

4. Now that it is drilled into your head that it is better to roll your thumb and wrist to input buttons rather then moving the thumb between buttons wavedashing becomes a single motion as well. But it is more complicated then the previous becomes it requires you to jump with x by pushing down with the first joint of your pointer finger. This will be easiest to see in the video imbedded above. Using x and r and the natural motion of our biomechanics. If your palm is hovering over the c-stick and therefore the x button as well; when you go to press the right shoulder button you will find that it is impossible not to press down on x on your way to r. This is a beautifully satisfying feeling that frees your thumb from having to aid in a wavedash.

This post was down in one sitting because I’m excited to get this content out.if it was unclear and not well explained let me know and I will modify to satisfaction.

Last edited:

CkBk

Smash Rookie
from watching the video i feel like this would absolutely annihilate your right hand. your first index finger joint is taking all the strain of pressing R, your thumb and index are very close together which increases stress on the joint that connects the thumb and the wrist as it needs to rotate more to get the same effect, and you'll have significant wrist movement in using the Cstick, increasing wear there.

i'm sorry but i don't think this is an effective grip, it's significantly worse ergonomically than normal claw and even regular grip. also 1 finger wavedashes aren't really a big deal, considering you have a 2nd shield trigger to use that's on a finger not doing anything else, WD grab seems quite awkward as well.

Last edited:

Metal#008

Smash Rookie
from watching the video i feel like this would absolutely annihilate your right hand. your first index finger joint is taking all the strain of pressing R, your thumb and index are very close together which increases stress on the joint that connects the thumb and the wrist as it needs to rotate more to get the same effect, and you'll have significant wrist movement in using the Cstick, increasing wear there.

i'm sorry but i don't think this is an effective grip, it's significantly worse ergonomically than normal claw and even regular grip. also 1 finger wavedashes aren't really a big deal, considering you have a 2nd shield trigger to use that's on a finger not doing anything else, WD grab seems quite awkward as well.
It’s hard to find information about melee that you haven’t seen before which is why this thread was posted. One finger wavedashes belong to the people. And thank you for taking time to read the post and express your concerns as this is ultimates release day so we all have other things to do.

To address your medical concerns no this grips does not cause pain in the wrist or hand as you stated. The more efficient button pattern demands less movement then your giving credit. However if your playing fox discomfort will arise somewhere, watch out for medial epicondylitis this is where the stress manifest. It can be prevented easily: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZoFTVKJQk&t=19s

Now for technical skills like multishines I’m absolutely positive this an effective grip I have never met a player that can multishine with the ease and consistency that this grip allows. When multishining with a normal grip there is a loud slap across the buttons which takes more effort.

One finger wavedashing was not the goal of this grip but a byproduct. I assume you use claw so You will have no trouble wavedashing while holding down on the c-stick. But with a normal grip this seems to be impractical. As for the wavedash itself once mastered there is no method of wavedashing more consistent. it is impossible to miss a wavedash because as you press R your palm must push down first, basic physics which frees your mind from thinking about pressing one extra button each time. Doesn’t seem like much but it adds up in a pinch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom