• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash Troubles

DefianceOhio

Smash Rookie
I've just started to get wavedashing down. It clicked for me last night while playing Marth.

Then I switched to M2 and consistently ran into trouble. I accidentally hover before getting the air dodge. Do I just need to get the R input in faster or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, until this point I spend almost all of my M2 matches in the air, hovering around attacks to create openings. Should I be using wavedash to do that more often instead, or can I keep playing M2 like a fighter jet?

didds

Smash Lord
I've just started to get wavedashing down. It clicked for me last night while playing Marth.

Then I switched to M2 and consistently ran into trouble. I accidentally hover before getting the air dodge. Do I just need to get the R input in faster or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, until this point I spend almost all of my M2 matches in the air, hovering around attacks to create openings. Should I be using wavedash to do that more often instead, or can I keep playing M2 like a fighter jet?
You're just accidentally holding your jump button down for too long. Since hover is triggered with jump+down, if you don't release jump immediately after you start your wavedash, he'll just begin to hover.

You just need to work on pressing your inputs a little cleaner and you'll be fine. Though I'll admit that it can be tricky to do consistently and while under pressure.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
ive ran into these troubles in the past with peach a lot too. its actually because youre inputting air dodge too early. if you did a wavedash, and airdodged on frame 6 (first airborne frame), even if you held down the jump button, it would still be fine because the air dodge would negate the hover. if you press air dodge a frame too early though, then when you enter the air, you dont get the airdodge and since youre probably still holding jump and diagonally down, youll end up hovering instead. Didds is mostly right, though its that in combination with the fact that youre air dodging too early. just make sure you air dodge on the right frame.

Top Bottom