• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash Help

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
First of all, I know how to wavedash, it's just I can't find a good time to use it, and I sort of find it useless. Then again, I main Falco, whose wavedash doesn't go too far, so maybe that's why.
Are there any tips you can give me about wavedashing?
Yes, I'm a rookie, don't judge me.

Massive

Smash Champion
Falco has loads of wavedash options.

Wavedash > Ledgehog
Wavedash back > punish approach
Invincible Frame Ledgedash > anything
Wavedash out of shield > everything
Wavedash > Shine (for shield pressure)

Practice wavelanding to get better at wavedashing. Once you master wavelanding, wavedashing is literally just memorizing how long it takes your jump to become active and then wavelanding.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
It takes a while of playing games with real opponents to figure out how to apply it when spacing. Also fyi I think Falco moves the fastest when dashing and then immediately wave dashing, it's faster than his run speed.

meebius

Smash Apprentice
The purpose of wavedashing initially is that it allows you access to your standing options while moving.

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Falco has loads of wavedash options.

Wavedash > Ledgehog
Wavedash back > punish approach
Invincible Frame Ledgedash > anything
Wavedash out of shield > everything
Wavedash > Shine (for shield pressure)

Practice wavelanding to get better at wavedashing. Once you master wavelanding, wavedashing is literally just memorizing how long it takes your jump to become active and then wavelanding.
Really? I find that really weird, because his wavedash is so short.

Massive

Smash Champion
Basically every character except bowser gains options from Wavedash out of shield.
Also, falco has a very average Wavedash distance. He is ranked #12 on max Wavedash distance which beats out both sheik and captain falcon pretty comfortably. Try moving your airdodge angle closer to horizontal and see if that helps any.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
watch falco players. there's so much wavedashing and wavelanding in their neutral and combo games.

it doesn't have so much to do with how far a character can wavedash, but the fact that wavedashing/landing allows options that are literally impossible otherwise, e.g.: moving forward or backward on the ground after shining, navigating platforms without wasting extra time in the air, moving backwards while facing forward, getting up from the ledge in high level play

i wrote some broad strokes of how/why wavedashing is useful in SleepyK's guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...DzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/edit#heading=h.35nkun2

imo give it a read and watch falco players. they wavedash and waveland all the time, and you can learn certain situations or interactions by analyzing when and why they seem to use those options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom