• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash help and general trials

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
Hi guys, I've played competitively for about a year now and I've hit a wall in my practice, I can't make it out to play vs. People that often so I do a lot of labbing, mostly for wavedashing and general combos. So what I need is some trials I can do to improve, and some advice on consistently wavedashing. Currently I can only do it about 3 times in a row, or if I'm in a game maybe more.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
When you mess up a wavedash, consciously examine where you went wrong and make the corresponding adjustment. If you jump then you airdodged too early (or not at all); if you visibly airdodge in mid-air rather than just sliding then you airdodged too late; if you shield or roll or something like that then you tried to airdodge before you jumped. This approach applies to learning everything.

Last edited:

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
When you mess up a wavedash, consciously examine where you went wrong and make the corresponding adjustment. If you jump then you airdodged too early (or not at all); if you visibly airdodge in mid-air rather than just sliding then you airdodged too late; if you shield or roll or something like that then you tried to airdodge before you jumped. This approach applies to learning everything.
thanks, this s very helpful. Do you happen to know of any good trials for me to do?

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
thanks, this s very helpful. Do you happen to know of any good trials for me to do?
I never really did anything structured enough to be called "trials" or "drills", and haven't looked into it much, so you're better off asking someone else to help you here. I basically just spammed the technique I was trying to learn for short periods before rotating to something else. You could do that in a more structured way by trying to work within certain restrictions or towards certain goals ("do 30 consecutive wavedashes without messing up", "waveland across all 3 Battlefield platforms and back", wavedash entirely within the Pokémon Stadium Poké ball 10 times"), or for strict periods of time before you move on to something else.

You might find these useful:
http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/diy-ssbm-movement-drills-part-12.html
http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/diy-ssbm-movement-drills-part-22.html

Last edited:

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
I never really did anything structured enough to be called "trials" or "drills", and haven't looked into it much, so you're better off asking someone else to help you here. I basically just spammed the technique I was trying to learn for short periods before rotating to something else. You could do that in a more structured way by trying to work within certain restrictions or towards certain goals ("do 30 consecutive wavedashes without messing up", "waveland across all 3 Battlefield platforms and back", wavedash entirely within the Pokémon Stadium Poké ball 10 times"), or for strict periods of time before you move on to something else.

You might find these useful:
http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/diy-ssbm-movement-drills-part-12.html
http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/diy-ssbm-movement-drills-part-22.html
Wow these are pretty helpful, and I think you're right I should just practice, thanks for your help man

T^2

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, I've played competitively for about a year now and I've hit a wall in my practice, I can't make it out to play vs. People that often so I do a lot of labbing, mostly for wavedashing and general combos. So what I need is some trials I can do to improve, and some advice on consistently wavedashing. Currently I can only do it about 3 times in a row, or if I'm in a game maybe more.
something I found helpful when I was practicing wavedashing for luigi at first was holding the gray stick in the notch just to the left or right of the bottom notch and then getting the jump airdodge rhythm down. then after that alternate between going all the way to one side of fd with wavedashes then go back, making sure to not stop at the wavedash that you change directions off of . After you can do that, try wavedashing back and forth, alternating between left and right. Theres some other stuff I did when I was practicing, but that should get you to a point that you'll be able to consistently wavedash. Hope this helps! If you can do this and are still having trouble just let me know, ill be glad to help

Last edited:

T^2

Smash Cadet
i accidentally reposted the message, sorry lol.

Last edited:

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
something I found helpful when I was practicing wavedashing for luigi at first was holding the gray stick in the notch just to the left or right of the bottom notch and then getting the jump airdodge rhythm down. then after that alternate between going all the way to one side of fd with wavedashes then go back, making sure to not stop at the wavedash that you change directions off of . After you can do that, try wavedashing back and forth, alternating between left and right. Theres some other stuff I did when I was practicing, but that should get you to a point that you'll be able to consistently wavedash. Hope this helps! If you can do this and are still having trouble just let me know, ill be glad to help
Thanks man I'll try that

T^2

Smash Cadet
Thanks man I'll try that
after you get to the point that you're confident with your wavedashes try fighting a bot only using those to move on the ground. it's gonna feel weird, but it'll help you work it into your actual gameplay (neutral, combos) faster than doing it against someone else. having the resistance of an actual good player fighting you will make you instinctually go back to running instead of wavedashing and wavelands, so fight a bot for a couple matches with only wavedashes, then try fighting someone in your local scene in a bunch of friendlies and you'll catch yourself wavedashing without even realizing it!

Top Bottom