• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash approaches

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F58lAKKhPY

Watching this set from 2013 has gotten me curious about how to approach with a wavedash from different relative positions. It seems that Abate uses uptilt when Hax is behind him, and he wavedashes back with it; in similar close-up situations he also uses downsmash occasionally. Ftilt seems to come out when he approaches from longer distances, and at the ledge. At 5:19 he even uses upsmash. What is the general formula for this matchup or others?

Last edited:

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
My general thought in this matchup is that Falcon likes too dashdance, and scare you with fast ariel approach. Luigi's answer too SH ariel approaches is uptilt/upsmash/upward angled ftilt. You can argue outspaceing is good, but since Falcon can jump over the whole screen relativly quick, and get jab pressure out afterwards..the window for punish get really small. Ftilt can be good for stuffing in safe spots aswell. For your dsmash question it is a good combostarter on Falcon and should be thrown out occationally.

But in genreal formulas for this and other matchups, you just have too see what your opponent is trying too accomplish.
Given my scenario over, where the Falcon approach with SH nair/stomp and I stuff him with uptilt/upsmash. He counters this with dashdance and bait me too do the uptilt too get a grab. I start overshoot my approach with dsmash/ftilt/jab->grab etc. He starts too SH stomp in place when I get close. There is nothing called formulas when there is a counterplay.

Top Bottom