• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebouncing and stuff

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Ha that vid is too good.

but yeah I can, it was something I was going to include in my AT vid if i ever got around to it.

I have to go help a friend right now so I can't give a lengthy explanation until later tonight. So a quick run down for now.

To perform you need forward momentum (running and jumping works) , you need to be in the air, and perform a B move in the direction you are facing and INSTANTLY slamming the (left) stick in the position directly opposite the direction you are currently moving. You will revers all momentum and perform the B move while 'Bouncing' in the opposite direction.

The easiest B move to do this with is Side B, perform it like normal and then slam the stick in the opposite direction.

You can B reverse moves on the ground, but you will simply turn and do the attack ASAP (iasa), it is the fastest way to do a grounded reverse B move.

*You can not Wavebounce attacks with preset momentum (this does not include ROBs side B)

I can explain some on double reversing B attacks later, If anyone has questions or needs help (or if my explanation sucks) contact me on aim: SiLMcCloud110

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
dude that was so awesome.

i always just b-move -> press opposite direction quickly. it seems to work better if you have some horizontal momentum.

you gotta get into contact with Aerow. he's really good at that stuff

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I learned how to wavebounce when I picked up Pikachu to WB Thunder on the ledge for edgeguarding, so I applied it to my ROB.

The best way that I can explain how I learned to do it was, for gyro, press downB, then quickly quarter circle the control stick opposite of the way you're facing. Laser is a bit harder, but it's the same concept, but you just flick the control stick the opposite direction quickly after pressing B. I don't find WB'd Laser that useful though, but yea. You need to make sure you are moving away from the direction you want to wavebounce, jump, then do the downB->QC. I usually just B reversal, since you need to be in the air for WBing(I think?) and moving away, but for B reversal, you can stand in place or jump in place with the same effect. That video realllly makes me want to work WBing into my game more, though.

I hope that made sense, if not, I can try explaining it again, or I can make a video if there isn't one already.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I can totally explain everything about it to you Chibro. I main Lucas. If you main Lucas and don't know how WB works, shame on you. I can get on aim and explain it to you.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
To perform you need forward momentum (running and jumping works) , you need to be in the air, and perform a B move in the direction you are facing and INSTANTLY slamming the (left) stick in the position directly opposite the direction you are currently moving. You will revers all momentum and perform the B move while 'Bouncing' in the opposite direction.

The easiest B move to do this with is Side B, perform it like normal and then slam the stick in the opposite direction.

You can B reverse moves on the ground, but you will simply turn and do the attack ASAP (iasa), it is the fastest way to do a grounded reverse B move.
wow thats all it is? thats so much easier than i thought @_@

im sure ppl might have noticed in my vids that i do b reversals on the ground all the time, i just didnt kno it was the same input in the air. that helps so much.

cant wait to get home from class tonight to work on this.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Seriously, can someone please teach me how to wavebounce really well and stuff? It's one of the ATs I just haven't really gotten a hold of

Reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8&feature=sub
Holy****!!!!
That is......that's......sexy!

Everyone learn it...and use it!

Edit: I already pretty much know how.....but I mean use it like that ROB!
Lawl, sry Chibo...I didn't really answer your question.

No....I can't really help you....because I don't know how to explain it. :)
I can totally explain everything about it to you Chibro. I main Lucas. If you main Lucas and don't know how WB works, shame on you. I can get on aim and explain it to you.
wow thats all it is? thats so much easier than i thought @_@

im sure ppl might have noticed in my vids that i do b reversals on the ground all the time, i just didnt kno it was the same input in the air. that helps so much.

cant wait to get home from class tonight to work on this.
Listen to rPSI, Chibo.
If there is anyone who that can help you understand this it's some one that plays Lucas. (also, this someone I know is very good at explaining. BTW, I'm talking about rPSI)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I already knew about wavebouncing, but seriously, Gyro canceled wavebouncing? That's basically aerial dashdancing for crying out loud. So little commitment and can control a TON of space. And the best part is it REALLY can help ROB with his weakness to juggles.

So godly. I'm going to work on this a lot more.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
0:27 was disgustingly flashy and sexy and amazing and something every ROB should learn to do and polysyndeton and wavebounced down B to cancel with L or R and I now have a splint on the tip of my thumb extending to the base of my thumb, which is pretty much the opposite of the splint I had before. I guess while we were all giving up and declaring a national state of hopelessness, Japan was stepping its game up.

Mizu, you don't need to quote so much =P

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Seriously, can someone please teach me how to wavebounce really well and stuff? It's one of the ATs I just haven't really gotten a hold of

Reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8&feature=sub
Wow, you can learn learn a lot form this ROB by just watch this vid very very closely. He's an extremely smart ROB.

Chibo do you know where I can find more vids of this guy?

Mizu, you don't need to quote so much =P
I know lol. I like to....quote a lot.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
no idea, someone else linked me to the vid. I already knew about everythin he was doing, just not doing it together and how to wavebounce, but now I kno. I wonder what style of rob is better tho, by that I mean rewatch ocean then watch like me v shadow lol. its like a whole differ game

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I play pretty similar to OCEAN I'm agro and wavebounce alot, just no new vids up of me in tourney.

And for obvious reasons the intensity and fluidity of his playing is better than mine, he was constantly two steps ahead of that MK.

A2ZOMG: It's much easier to cancel the gyro with Z than L or R.

also to everyone: If you wavebounce the gyro and land on the ground, canceling with Z leads directly into a grab. I land ALOT of grabs this way, its pretty reliable when someone is chasing you.

Diddy can do this exact tech by B reversing and Z canceling his peanut gun.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master

that would solve your problems :p

if you're able to do all this stuff, its gonna give you lots more options to do. i cant wait to see what youre gonna incorporate from this

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yea' only a handful of characters have a 100% lagless B move, such as ROB, Sheik, and Diddy. Does anyone else have one?

Don't over spam though always landing in a zig zag. One of the west coast Snakes (I forget his name atm) always did it while falling constantly and while it looked nice, when I noticed it in friendlies the night b4 day 2 at Genesis and I had to face him in teams, I punished him for it constantly usmashing him as he fell.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
oh wow i thought i was the only ROB that ever wavebounced but that guy is way better at it then i am. i need to steal some of tht stuff, awesome vid chibo :D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the problem is that the more i watch the match, the more i think OCEAN is just doing the matchup very poorly, unless hes messing around trying to be fancy. Likeseriously, play like that against good MKs over here and he'd get *****.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
yeah alot of MKs here are more air-based and alot more agressive. ROB is pretty much a sitting duck if MK is in the air. i'd probably do one wavebounce and do a nair/bair to cover my back, but thats just me, im crappy. Akira shouldve just timed a rising tornado to catch ROB on his rebound.

this might've worked against characters with a slow dash.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
breakthrough, if you just hold down Z/L/R the top will cancel on the earliest frame possible, no need for precise timing, and no chance of airdodging out of the cancel. Best way to perfect the zig-zag is to just stand in place holding shield, jump and gain momentum and begin the reversing, holding Z/L/R the entire time.

I've got it pretty consistent now.

breakthrough, if you just hold down Z/L/R the top will cancel on the earliest frame possible, no need for precise timing, and no chance of airdodging out of the cancel. Best way to perfect the zig-zag is to just stand in place holding shield, jump and gain momentum and begin the reversing, holding Z/L/R the entire time.

Will it save you from G&W's u-air, or is there a better method of recovering that I don't know about?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium

Oh wow, that's a ridiculously useful find, dude! I never knew holding Z/L/R canceled the gyro like that! My gyro mindgames are gonna be so pro after this. =)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Another tech I was wanting to share is double reversing the up B (wavebouncing and you end up facing a different direction)

So you can Bair, double reverse Up B, and Bair in the SAME SPOT as a moment ago.

To perform you do a Back Air, then Up B in the opposite direction you are facing, and slam the stick in the opposite direction of the Up B (to B-reverse)

So if you Bair with ROB facing this way ← (left), you Up B this way ➚ (Up diagonal Right), and quickly slam the directional stick this way ← (left), and you will be reset in the position you started in, with momentum carrying you backwards.

So Bair ← > Up B➚ > quickly slam ←

⋄|-[ =ROBs doing a Bair in this direction ←

Its decently useful, and is pretty flashy,

TheMike

Smash Lord
Lol I just saw this thread now. Someone please bring this guy to the ROBoards. :0

Sharky

Smash Master
no idea, someone else linked me to the vid. I already knew about everythin he was doing, just not doing it together and how to wavebounce, but now I kno. I wonder what style of rob is better tho, by that I mean rewatch ocean then watch like me v shadow lol. its like a whole differ game
I was just watching that video last night and then comparing to you vs shadow, rofl. XD

That rob's pretty **** fast. I might have to consider picking up rob again.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm starting to get pretty consistent with the technique. It's just not second nature to me yet so I get the directions mixed up a lot (which which direction gyro + which direction wavebounce = facing which way and moving which was and figuring it all out on the fly)

Teh Future

Smash Master
Use this for getting back onto the ground to cover robs huge blindspot underneath him. think snake and his grenades.

I like to use it right out of bair, completely changes our momentum and stuff. Just dont get predictable but once you start using it they have to predict what you are going to do. You can cancel it into an airdodge almost instantly or just continue in the same direction if you think they are going to read into it. I always figured you knew about this chibo but just didn't think it was useful for some reason lol.

Yikarur

Smash Master
"- B-Move Technique: B-Reversal
How to Perform: Enter the input for any B-move, then slam the joystick in the opposite direction your character is facing before the animation begins. Can be done with all types of specials, not just Neutral B, but not all specials can be reversed. A list of compatible moves can be found in the Lists section of this post.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character faces opposite direction, B-move executes. Can be used during dashes and jumps for easy pivoting too.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155369"

"- B-Move Technique: Recoil Special (a.k.a. Wave-bouncing, B-sticking)
How to Perform: In the air, B-Reverse a Turnaround B or a backwards side-B. This is more easily accomplished by pushing the joystick forward and the C-stick backwards with the C-stick set to Specials.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character stays facing the same direction, B-move executes. Can be used to space projectile approaches.
'All About Wavebouncing' by Rkey: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191605
OP: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152409
More info: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152815"

Stop using the term "Wavebounce" wrong pls. x__x

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873 < this AT Compendium is a year long and here are stated the original terms, but you people are about to destroy the terminologie.
ATs should have constant terms like juristic terms so everyone knows what is talked about.

So the Rob is doing B-Reversals in the Video, not wavebounces.
Wavebounce (it was called Recoil-Special earlier) is what Lucas Players are doing when they are Magnet-Pulling or spacing with PK Fire "
The how to Wavebounce earlier was "To perform a "Recoil Special"[1] with the B-Stick setup, jump forward and immediately move the C-stick in the opposite direction of travel."

so pls pls pls stop destroying the terminologie ,_,

Tin Man

Smash Hero
while a lot of this is cool (not only the wave bouncing, but the other techniques), some of these other techniques just seem like unnecessary tech skill

I REALLY WISH CONTROL PAD COULD BE USED FOR MOVEMENT :mad:

Top Bottom