• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wavebounce Aerials Using Gyro Canceling

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Hi everyone, I've been gone on a hiatus of playing Rosa, but I think I'm back. I learned some things playing her that I think could be interesting to implement in ROB's gameplay. Something unique to Rosa that ROB definitely does not have is the horizontal coverage of her Uair. You've all seen how big her Uair is when tethered to Luma. You have also probably seen how much space she can cover by waiting on the ground and either Uairing in place, running forward and Uairing, or turning around doing a Uair in that direction. She can literally cover over a third of the stage by doing this.

Rosa has other ways to kill, but ROB kind of has to use Uair the majority of the time to net kills. I was thinking back on the aerial gyro canceling tech Mister Eric Mister Eric brought up a while ago and figured that if you can sequence a wavebounced gyro cancel with an aerial, you can ESSENTIALLY wavebounce your aerials. Wavebouncing the gyro cancel is a great defensive tool to mix up your landing which you can see Mister Eric do in his matches, but it can potentially be a fantastic offensive tool by allowing us to mix up our horizontal coverage to land that Uair confirm. We don't get any extra distance out of it with Uair (But you get additionally coverage that cannot get normally with Nair and Fair), but it does allow us to quickly change direction to follow up with a read or to simply fake out your opponent. You can act like you're going to do one option (say, prepare to cover their landing with a gyro) but in reality you're going to jump right up there with a wavebounced Uair. If your opponent is on point, they can react to it, but it is tough and it WILL catch people off-guard.

I did a short recording to kind of show what I'm talking about. I messed it up a lot since I don't really have the greatest tech skill, but it did not take long to get the timing down. You can see in the video what I mean about mixing up with Uair in order to cover a space that the opponent typically won't think you can cover. You can also see that you can wavebounce a Nair or Fair out of a shorthop or fullhop to cover a space that you cannot cover by just jumping (in the same spacing at least. You can just turn around jump, but you won't have momentum in any direction already).

Again, I apologize for the sloppy tech in the video, but I just wanted to display what kind of additional movement options we have. This is very exciting for me as someone who's spent quite a bit of time away from ROB with someone who has more fluid normal movement to find that, with a bit of work, we can have even BETTER movement.

If you combine gyro canceling (wavebounce and not wavebounce), with z-drop aerials with the gyro to create more options as well as add a hitbox in front of you, we really have a lot of options in the neutral game.

NOTE: You can do the wavebounce aerials fast than I did in the video. I just have slow fingers and struggle to seamlessly transition between the gyro cancel and the aerial. If done properly, you should be able to wavebounce an aerial just as fast as a normal aerial unless you're doing it immediately since you have to wait for the gyro cancel animation to finish (which is only a few frames anyway)

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The movement will def help. ROB has had the options since the Brawl days but only few players utilize it. I did a good bit in Brawl. But in this game, the combination of b-reverse gyro cancelling being harder when manually done and the lack of mobility from his b-reversals and wave bouncing has left me not practicing it enough. I still plan to and think everyone should too.

You can do fake out fade aways and lots of cool things.
Like you are retreating from your opponent, and they are rushing you down and you then wave bounce back in their direction and fair them.

But yeah space coverage is a big plus since rob really only naturally covers the space directly above him with up air.
Good luck with this. If you need any help, lmk. Also check out this thread for gyro cancelling
http://smashboards.com/threads/important-gyro-cancelling-tip.383117/

Top Bottom