• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watchmen film

noradseven

Smash Lord
Yes the Comedian is a badass.. The movie is badass.
To bad he dies really early because he was the only character I liked, besides the main character (not spelling his name), everyone else was just annoying, :( .
I didn't like it just as much as the comic.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I haven't seen the movie, but the comic was great.

I just have one question- Is the Comedian a badass in the movie as he was in the book?
No. The actors portraying Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Ozymandias, the Comedian, and Nite Owl couldn't act in their parts at all, but Rorschach couldn't stop overacting (he's more like a parody of Rorschach than actually portraying Rorschach).

Albert.

Smash Master
There is a thread on it, you posted in it. But I'll just merge them.

I haven't seen this movie yet, I've been hearing conflicting reviews, so I figure I'll just have to judge it myself whenever I see it.

thank you for merging instead of just being mean like some mods

LOL jk on the mean thing

WALL OF TEXT ALERT

Anyway

:( at HeMightBeGiants

They seriously did NOT dumb down the plot or anything like that.

The acting was great except for the Silk Spectre

at HeMightbegiants... with a character that extreme he had to over-act. I didn't even consider it that.
If he hadn't "over-acted" then you would have said that he wasn't committed enough

At gen-pop:
The Sex Scene on Archimedes was kind of awkward... but that was maybe because I was sitting next to my sister at the time. Maybe if I had seen it with some guy friends I would have enjoyed it more LOL.

(that version of Hallelujah is horrible!! IDK how Jeff Buckley got his beautiful cover from that!)

I did NOT like that rorschach cleavered the girl-killer

I did NOT like that Manhattan's vaporizing resulted in stupid tarrantino-eqsue blood

I did NOT like the lame over-acted "YELLLLL" from Danny Boy when Rorshach ______________

(I dunno how to to put spoiler blocker things)

I did NOT like that they included the lame scene at the end where silk ***** goes to talk to mom. I thought that scene was misplaced in the comic and it was lame there too. It's like "WOAH huge climax... ok I don't care about her issues"

I would have prefered they go straight to the "journal" scene lol

positive: beautiful shots and effects

Albert.

Smash Master
I'll assume I can ask about this without people whining about spoilers.

Some people have said something like the gratuity of the violence in the alley scene where Nite Owl and SS defended themselves was out of line, and made it more difficult to sympathize with them or something. That seems dumb, since it was implied in the comic that they were beating those dudes pretty badly, and I think there a couple of shots where it was implied that people got knee'd in bad places. Do people just have a problem with it now that they have to see this stuff played out in detail?

I did not like this in the movie.

It seems like the gratuitous violence in this scene was the least excusable

There are tons of scenes in PG-13 movies with the same situation of a costumed-or-uncostumed superhero beats up a group of thugs

Why include **** like breaking an arm clean-off and twisting a guys neck like that?

it's just the film-makers over-dosing on creative license

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
To bad he dies really early because he was the only character I liked, besides the main character (not spelling his name), everyone else was just annoying, :( .
I didn't like it just as much as the comic.
They do multiple flashbacks throughout the whole movie..
He plays a big role in it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well I personally thought it was great.

My favorite characters were the same as everyone else's, Rorschach was excellent, I thought, everything about how he was played fit him perfectly, and he his constant attitude kept me interested in every scene involving him.
(The prison riot was probably the best thing ever.)

Also, my all time favorite part of the movie was :
Rorschach deep-frying the guy in the food line, and then shouting "I'm not locked in here with you! You're locked in here with me!"
I loved that!

And, scenes with Dr. Meatdanglin' as he is to now be named for obvious reasons, were quite good as well.

pikamon

Smash Ace
Everyone who is complaining about the violence needs to just get over it. It's a rated R movie. What did you expect? AND it's from the guy who made 300...I mean, come on. I'd also like to point out that if you took kids to see this, you're an idiot for not researching it (I know someone who did this and cursed the movie, but that's his own fault).

The film was great, and I just don't see how it could have been any better. People complain about the ending being changed (but not really by much when you think about it), but the real ending would just be ridiculous on screen, so this made a lot more sense to me.

I thought the best character in the film was Rorshasch. He was by far the most interesting and engaging, and his finality made perfect sense to me. They chose a great actor for the role, and the fact that it was his real voice the entire time (unlike Christian Bale's in Batman), just amazes me.

People can complain that this movie wasn't accurate to the book, but it was accurate enough. Look at the X-Men films, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, or anything else out there and you'll still find that this movie was as close to the comic as it could have been. Fans should thank the cast and crew for getting it so close to perfection, because hollywood could have really made it a lot worse.

As for Alan Moore's disapproval, who cares? He disapproves of all adaptations in general. He hated V for Vendetta, and most people thought it was an awesome movie, just like most will think this is as well.

And just as an FYI for the fans, they are releasing a special DVD cut of the film with the pirate comic book (the comic within the comic) spliced throughout the movie just like in the comic book, so they haven't forgotten about it, it's just too much for a theater viewing.

Albert.

Smash Master
Everyone who is complaining about the violence needs to just get over it. It's a rated R movie. What did you expect? AND it's from the guy who made 300...I mean, come on. I'd also like to point out that if you took kids to see this, you're an idiot for not researching it (I know someone who did this and cursed the movie, but that's his own fault).

Rated R Movies don't all have ridiculous violence.
and Maybe a Zach Snyder film wont have it too lol

I saw it again today and didn't mind it as much.

If someone took their kids to see this I'd slap them. If they thought it was "just another superhero movie" then the Rating of R for "Intense graphic violence/Sexuality/nudity/language" would have been a big tip-off

it was rated somethign like that lol

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I thought it was funny how the blue guy's first scene hints that he's naked for the longest time but doesn't show anything through convenient angles. Then right at the end of the scene, the camera just panned down a bit and he stays overtly nude for the rest of the movie.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I was actually so disappointed in some of the people that were in the movie theater with us. EVERY SINGLE TIME Dr. Manhattan's ***** was shown, people started giggling. And I can't say I really understand why. We're not in kindergarten, right? It's just a *****. I'm sure everyone in the theater knew what those looked like beforehand. Can't we be mature about this?

BentoBox

Smash Master
The 2 friends I watched it with thought it was terrible; I personally thought it was brilliant. I honestly did not quite know what to expect from the movie but from the commercials alone I had this preconception of it being a Justice League type film, just with a different set of superheros. Boy did I not know what I was getting into. I thought the movie started off real slow though, and one of my friends actually left the theater an hour in and waited for us outside. I was just waiting for the superheros to get back together, join their forces, go pay a visit to mother russia and force them into submission once again, or something along those lines~ But I very much enjoyed the heroes gone bad approach. There was a kid sitting next to me and I truly felt sorry for him (13+, really?), but I felt like it accurately depicted the modern society and its trends. The other friend who stayed with me till the end thought it was much too graphic and was later bumping Shake That by eminem in the car. I had a big smirk on my face.

I very much respect the movie for just taking me by surprise; there was still not as much action as I would've liked~

Some guy left the theater shouting "MONEY BACK!!" lmao

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was actually so disappointed in some of the people that were in the movie theater with us. EVERY SINGLE TIME Dr. Manhattan's ***** was shown, people started giggling. And I can't say I really understand why. We're not in kindergarten, right? It's just a *****. I'm sure everyone in the theater knew what those looked like beforehand. Can't we be mature about this?
It's a Zack Snyder movie, he TARGETS immature people.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Enjoyed it thoroughly. Didn't have a chance to read the comic before seeing it, but already have a copy ready to read after I was impressed in the whole story behind it. I saw it with a packed house of college students and it seemed like everyone enjoyed it as well. The atmosphere made it very exciting, which I was hoping for actually. I guess it helps when everyone is into it, haha.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Heh, haven't posted here in a while :)

I thought the film was fantastic, save for the soundtrack. It made certain scenes that would've been awesome either awkward (
Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene in sky, amirite?
) or funny in a this-isn't-supposed-to-be-funny sort of way (
I lol'd in the middle of the movie theater when the Comedian jumped/stepped off Archie in slow motion to fall, like, 20 feet to the ground while "I'm Your Boogie Man" was playing in the background
).

I also thought that every major character's acting was spot on, especially Rorschach (new favorite role; the scene when
Dr. Manhattan kills him
is amazing), Nite Owl II, and Dr. Manhattan. The Comedian and Silk Spectre were all right; I thought Ozymandias was boring, he seemed to force his lines out. Some of the scenes moved around? Meh, I didn't mind. It didn't change the experience for me. Special effects were money.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, save for the soundtrack and some weak acting by Ozy. 4/5

Leech

Smash Journeyman
i saw it... i only had one problem.
well i saw it in imax.. imax+front row+ dr. manhattan= BAAAAAD! lol the movie was good the graphic novel was too.. im not sure which one i liked better.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
A lot of the bad reviews I've heard are from people that are slightly immature or not familiar with the series and/or fanboys.

I think this movie personally was great, was it star inducing, NO.
However for a movie to come out of this quality in the crap fest that is cinema today, then it did its job quite well.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
It's a good movie. Period.

The extranoues gore added to fight scenes was stupid but didn't ruin anything.

The only problems with the movie were changes from the book, all of which more or less had to happen for it to be a film, except for one.

Rorschach's origin shouldn't have had the last part changed. It was just extra gore and it messed up the whole detachment from Humanity he had in the book. It was a beautiful parallel to Dr. Manhattan. Where he hand cuffs him, gives him the saw. Simply says "Don't try to cut the handcuffs. Not enough time." Lights the building on fire and stands outside watching to make sure no one get's out.

It's beautiful and poetic. And, sadly, was cut for extra gore that just made him look angry, which makes sense on a superficial level but misses the point. And also, probably, cause of the closeness to Saw I... sadly.

But it's definatly a good movie. A decent adapation and hopefully it get's more people to read the book which is a work of art. A real Graphic Novel.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Have I? Yes, I borrowed a copy from a friend about a month before the film was released. I actually just ordered my own copy this morning off of Border's.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Interesting. I'm surprised at the number of fans of the book that are happy with this flick.

Not to say I disliked it, but everything I didn't like was because it was forced to be a "movie." I'm pleasently surprised with the fans though.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
I usually trust the DC-comic movie adaptions. Unlike the Marvel movie adaptations, they don't dumb the storyline down to focus on action for a wider audience. For example, The Dark Knight did an amazing job on capturing the story of The Long Halloween. (Though I have yet to finish the series, which is in 13 parts.)

Albert.

Smash Master
I usually trust the DC-comic movie adaptions. Unlike the Marvel movie adaptations, they don't dumb the storyline down to focus on action for a wider audience. For example, The Dark Knight did an amazing job on capturing the story of The Long Halloween. (Though I have yet to finish the series, which is in 13 parts.)
Yeah, The Dark Knight is def based alot off of Long Halloween

That comic was soo good.
Took me toa different place. (in a good way)

finish it!!

BACK ON TOPIC

why did they have The Comedian as the murderer of JFK ?

WTFFF?

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
I'm working on it. I have issues 1 through 6. I basically just have to wait and wait until the comic shop I buy from gets issues in. I actually started out with issues 2 and 4, then waited until they got 1 in, and then 3, then went back and read them all in order and so on.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I haven't read the comic, but I thought the movie was really, really good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I did not like this in the movie.

It seems like the gratuitous violence in this scene was the least excusable

There are tons of scenes in PG-13 movies with the same situation of a costumed-or-uncostumed superhero beats up a group of thugs

Why include **** like breaking an arm clean-off and twisting a guys neck like that?

it's just the film-makers over-dosing on creative license
For the theme. These aren't suppose to be comic book super heroes, these are suppose to be real people doing that stuff. The main point about it is whether or not we're better off without them

RDK

Smash Hero
So I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this. Obviously it was hyped beyond belief. I'm not a big comic book reader, but people keep telling me to read the comic because it's supposed to be amazing.

The movie--is it worth going to the theater to see, or is it merely pirate material? It's kind of a hit or miss thing, depending on who I ask.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I never read the comic, and I wasn't hyped for the movie, and I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was terrible and 300 was only good for the few action scenes, I thought transformers sucked, but I thought this was a really good movie.

RDK

Smash Hero
I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was terrible and 300 was only good for the few action scenes, I thought transformers sucked
I'll probably end up liking it then, considering our views on those three movies are identical.

Top Bottom