• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watching The World Burn: Zard Video Thread! [9.29.15]

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
yeah, sry bout that guys, but I'm ot gonna make a new vieo thread, lol... I'm horrible, lol

really stressed out though, so i won't be doing alot of smash in general...
except for a 60-80 man P:M tourney in 2 weeks, hope i'll do good

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hey guys! I'll have some new Charizard footage soon. Just took 3rd place at one of our weeklies after some close sets with players Alphicans and KillLock in Winners/Losers finals respectfully. I owe all my wins to Charizard!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Hey guys, love the discussion here it all seems really helpful. Anyways after trying Charizard in tourney I've decided to start seriously trying to improve with the character. Here are some videos from our most recent casuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiDdqpfAkvA&#t=4m02s

I've timestamped where I start playing. I'm aware of a lot of the bad habits I have, but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The one big piece of advice I can give from what I've watched is that there were so many opportune moments where you could have gone for back throw into FAir -> combo stuff but you opted for more dthrow tech chasing. Which you do really well though! You just may have been able to close out stocks faster or just get them off stage where Charizard reigns and other characters are afraid.

Like take Snake for example. Back Throw to FAir? At mid/lower percents you can follow up with a DAir. Snake is forced to recover with Up + B and with one extra jump that you don't have to use, you can immediately follow up with ANOTHER DAir as you just follow them down. But really, I like your Charizard! Just more Back Throw into DESTRUCTION would be nice to see. Charizard's Ken Combo is so nice to get.

Your usage of Heat Wave for gimping/KO'ing is fantastic btw.

[EDIT]

Oh, and Charizard's Down Smash can catch so many tech rolls or spot dodges. And if done on grounded opponents after a down throw tech chase and such, easy pop-ups for another grab or if you wanna start juggling, USmash into UAir/etc. I used to play much like you did without utilizing DSmash as often, but if you start using it since it has some nice range on the sides for said tech chasing opportunities, it's quick and great for combo material.

Also crouch cancelling a dash into DSmash on the ledges, you can also spike people with DSmash. Especially good for those players that are playing on the ledge. I use from time to time. A lot of characters have to be REALLY careful around me if they're caught recovering above instead of from the side. Also if you're not certain if an attack is going to strike home on a recovering opponent, be it the side or down below (you caught Link with a DTilt which was great), I like using Flamethrower to catch opponents recovering and add on some nasty damage.

The flamethrower part is not as prominent IMO, but still. Keep repping Charizard!

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Hey guys, this past weekend I got to face M2K with Charizard at Kumite in Tennessee. Me and a friend of mine faced him and someone else in P:M doubles. The fights start in this live stream at 1:07:38, it's about 30 minutes worth of casuals.
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/497912046
Also, how do you guys feel about Charizard in teams? I find him to be really helpful at controlling space.

TremorTrem

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, been stalking smashboards for quite some while (years? lol) but finally made an account. Melee-wise I'm a IC main but tmi heh. Wanted to get some feedback on how I'm doing. I just won a P:M tourney a short while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb_Ez65cNJU

There's a link to grand finals but some weird fusion happened so my match actually starts at about 13:30. I think I have a good idea as to how to use Zard but I could always use tips especially against that Marth on Yoshi's Story.

Also, at 23:07 and 26:50, there's this thing that would happen where I'd be at the end of the stage and Marth would be able to dair me off the stage. A possible glitch? Are the developers aware of this?

Thanks!

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I checked out the "bug" you mentioned last week, didn't get to post though...
It's not a bug, it's a game mechanic you seem to be unfamiliar with :) With many characters, if you perform a dashattack and it's momentum is canceled by the ledge, you can influence how your character will proceed after the dashattack ends, depending on your current control-stick input (example of this are captain falcon, charizard, and many more, but i don't know who)

If you das attack against the ledge and:
-hold forward on the controllstick, you will fall of, facing away from the ledge. (this enables you to get spiked by marth)
-hold backwards on the stick, you will fall of, facing towards the stage and perform an edgehog (also enables you to get spiked like that)
-let go of the controlstick, you will stand on the ledge

useful mostly for combos against fastfallers (dashattack to instant aerial), or SDs.

comments to your grandfinal:
match 1:
-don't be afraid to string usmashes against spacies. You can get often 2-3 Usmashes, at low percent maybe more, and still continue to juggle/finish after that. Free damage.
-abuse your great horizontal recovery and edgeguard offstage! Jump offstage with a nair, to cover their rejump sweetspot and or SideB onto the stage. You can go lower than any fox or falco, so once they drop below the ledge without a rejump, and you're offstage aswell, they should be dead. (they should also be dead if they save their jump and you're falling above them, since you can just wait and then nair once they comit to a jump or UpB. Saw you trying to edgeguard from onstage alot.
-Great use of SideB to punish! Love it!

match2:
-bad stage for marth vs zard i guess. he has an easy job keeping you out once you gain center stage.
-If you edgeguard a floatie and he recovers high, try charging DownB near the ledge (not directly at it), and try to hit them with a reverse nair while rising. It works like a charm for me. If you hit with the startup, it'll kill at 60-80%, depending on the stage obivoulsy.
If you miss the startup and you spaced correctly most characters cannot escape and will get hit by the last part of the Nair, which will hit them back offstage (or even kill)
-can't say anything about the neutral game, it seems rather complicated vs marth.

match3:
-I don't know what he banned, but the best thing vs marth should be a spaceous stage without alot of platforms and a low ceiling. While dreamland sucks for marth and is a decent pick, you probably have a hard time killing him with combos, which is why i'd rather go on PS or similar stages. Maybe it's just preference

haha, i watched match 3 and 4 aswell, but i forgot to take notes. Nice zard though, great stuff! congratulations to your win!

And last but not least: NEW YOMI VIDEOS from SiP, Germany. Please give feedback. I'm sick of floaties, i can't really produce alot of pressure against them and i can barely combo... sucks.
Twitch.tv links for now, i dunno when they will be uploaded. (presented by SaltyPlayground. Europes finest in streaming. Go ahead and subscribe to the channel, it'll be streaming beast in a couple of weeks and lots of german tournaments ;) )

Yomi vs Usleon (Pit,ZSS)
Yomi vs otek (Luigi/Zelda)
Yomi vs Relinquished (Ike, MetaKnight) 1
Yomi vs Relinquished (Ike, MetaKnight) 2

Tero.

Smash Champion
And last but not least: NEW YOMI VIDEOS from SiP, Germany. Please give feedback. I'm sick of floaties, i can't really produce alot of pressure against them and i can barely combo... sucks.
Twitch.tv links for now, i dunno when they will be uploaded. (presented by SaltyPlayground. Europes finest in streaming. Go ahead and subscribe to the channel, it'll be streaming beast in a couple of weeks and lots of german tournaments ;) )

Yomi vs Usleon (Pit,ZSS)
Yomi vs otek (Luigi/Zelda)
Yomi vs Relinquished (Ike, MetaKnight) 1
Yomi vs Relinquished (Ike, MetaKnight) 2

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
The one big piece of advice I can give from what I've watched is that there were so many opportune moments where you could have gone for back throw into FAir -> combo stuff but you opted for more dthrow tech chasing. Which you do really well though! You just may have been able to close out stocks faster or just get them off stage where Charizard reigns and other characters are afraid.

Like take Snake for example. Back Throw to FAir? At mid/lower percents you can follow up with a DAir. Snake is forced to recover with Up + B and with one extra jump that you don't have to use, you can immediately follow up with ANOTHER DAir as you just follow them down. But really, I like your Charizard! Just more Back Throw into DESTRUCTION would be nice to see. Charizard's Ken Combo is so nice to get.

Your usage of Heat Wave for gimping/KO'ing is fantastic btw.

[EDIT]

Oh, and Charizard's Down Smash can catch so many tech rolls or spot dodges. And if done on grounded opponents after a down throw tech chase and such, easy pop-ups for another grab or if you wanna start juggling, USmash into UAir/etc. I used to play much like you did without utilizing DSmash as often, but if you start using it since it has some nice range on the sides for said tech chasing opportunities, it's quick and great for combo material.

Also crouch cancelling a dash into DSmash on the ledges, you can also spike people with DSmash. Especially good for those players that are playing on the ledge. I use from time to time. A lot of characters have to be REALLY careful around me if they're caught recovering above instead of from the side. Also if you're not certain if an attack is going to strike home on a recovering opponent, be it the side or down below (you caught Link with a DTilt which was great), I like using Flamethrower to catch opponents recovering and add on some nasty damage.

The flamethrower part is not as prominent IMO, but still. Keep repping Charizard!
Thanks for the tips! I've recently started working the other throws and Fair > Dair into my game now and it has been working pretty well.

I'm still having trouble implementing Dsmash as much. As certain characters have weird techroll timings. I have trouble catching people especially who roll away from me. Even if I try for just another grab people seem to be able to shine or spot dodge because I'm not quick enough. If they roll behind me I generally go for Dair, and if they tech in place/don't tech I jab/Dtilt. But yeah I definitely want to stick with this character. He's really satisfying to play.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Got some zard vids recorded a few days ago at a small tourney. Might have enough combos for thugnificent 2

Theyre up on tourney locators youtube page, which should be here. Be sure to subscribe for more ridiculous zard combos!

Last edited:

TremorTrem

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot Yomi. Thanks for the info about that bewildering mechanic. I'll try incorporate it.

And thanks for the feedback. I'm a grabbing, defensive player so being aggressive is a bit of a work in progress. Strings of upsmashes seems so commiting. XD But I'll use your advice and try those stage recommendations. Darn Marthy Marth and his long sword. On a slight side note, ironicly, I lost to one the same day in our Brawl grand finals.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Here's some online stuff of my charizard :
Charizard (me) vs Wario (2rd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3QOx7MFWc
It's pretty bad quality, but lagless fortunately.
One critique I have for you: When someone shields prematurely on a platform, there's nothing to gain from hitting the shield unless you can apply safe pressure, which Zard can't, or poke through, which Zard can't against most people's FULL shield but he can poke with up smash sometimes.

Think of it this way: hitting their shield gives them chance to get out of their bad situation, but waiting and punishing their OoS options means you guarantee punish them on reaction (in the case of spot dodge, and possibly wavedash), or they put themselves in a worse situation (in the case where they jump). Plus if they do nothing for long enough you can poke through with up smash See 6:40 for a really good example of when you could poke through with up smash.

In general, you underused sharking with up smash. I generally try to use this just before the land on a platform or if they try to come straight down at me w/o a platform in the way. Depending on the disjoint and speed of their down air, you can shffl uair when they get somewhat close to bait a second jump and then when you land keep yourself under them waiting to up smash. Most characters don't have an good way to avoid this when they don't have their jump, though admittedly Wario's down air might get you, not sure. Another use is you can guarantee techchase most (all?) characters on reaction if they land on a platform that's low enough for you to hit with up smash. So be patient and wait for people to land rather than trying to read them. Admittedly I'm not sure this would be possible online, but in case you don't know.

You're Zard was really good. Keep it up! ^_^

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Here's some online stuff of my charizard :
Charizard (me) vs Wario (2rd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3QOx7MFWc
It's pretty bad quality, but lagless fortunately.
Nice usage of down-B. That was pretty awesome, I'm definitely going to try and implement it more now.

We had a tourney here recently. About 52 entrants overall, I believe around 30 for P:M which is pretty decent for the area. I didn't do as well as I would have liked but I had two matches recorded here: http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/503640115

The main match I looked at starts at 5:17:30. I think the things I'll need to work on are Usmash out of shield, along with adjusting my bthrow follow-ups against certain characters. Then ledgegaurding correctly afterwards.

Last edited:

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Hi, sorry for stoping by like this and not leaving anything productive!
Here are some videos from Beast

MM vs Prof.Pro:
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/503081322?t=2h33m

Freeplay vs Fuzzyness and Leffen (I play Snake once for some reason, Fuzzy plays Sonic/Lucario mainly (and others), Leffen plays Roy and one Zamus match)
http://www.twitch.tv/irregularjinny/b/503870467

If somebody has Snake experience, i have a couple of questions:
When do you feel it is safe to act out of shield? as you can see Prof does Multiple UpB to aerials as shieldpressure. I didn't really take every opportunity to Usmash OoS, but any ideas? and safe tips?
How do i edgeguard correctly? I feel getting reverse Nairs isn't that viable vs. Snake (becausehe'll just recover until you mess up the nair, which is hard to hit vs a quite flexible snake). Prof did an amazing job recovering, even letting go of the copter to hit me with it and being safe, then downBing and recovering again. Can i downair his copter and expect to hit snake (unless he lets go obviously)?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You can definitely Dair straight through the copter, and you will most likely trade. If he recovers at a bad angle do this twice and hes done. You can also make him afraid of side-B. He might not get hit with it but it forces him to react somehow.

I've yet to actually punish Snake's aerials(Nair,Bair) on shield, they seem to recover really fast. If I were to guess there might be a small window you can do something after he up-B's and before he lets go, but I haven't tested or anything. Shielding in general is just a bad position to be against a Snake because he could replace any aerial with a C4 and get away with murder.

Your best bet in my opinion is to assume you can't punish him up-close as his options for you guessing wrong are so deadly, and bair and nair both don't have much recovery unless he hits your shield really high with bair. Stay at a range instead and roll out quickly when he tries to put pressure on you. Usmash OOS and SH bair are options too of course.

Oracle

Smash Master
you can up b oos to punish the pressure, butbest optionis always to not shield and dd around it

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Some videos from a tourney recently.

Smeesh (Fox, Falcon) vs. Blank (Charizard) Winner's Quarters:
http://www.twitch.tv/jjrockets/b/507207568?t=3h22m51s

Blank (Charizard) vs. JJRockets (Jigglypuff, Marth) Winner's Semis:
http://www.twitch.tv/jjrockets/b/507207568?t=3h30m55s

MegaRobMan (Sheik) vs. Blank (Charizard) Winner's Finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/jjrockets/b/507207568?t=3h50m10s
Cont'd
http://www.twitch.tv/jjrockets/b/507265763

Grand finals were not recorded but I won 3-0 over MRM. There are also some casuals in a past broadcast too. As always critique is welcome.

Last edited:

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Your Charizard is awesome! One of the few I've seen that really tries to utilize everything he has to offer. I remember seeing your Reddit post a while back and wondering where I could find more footage of your gameplay.

Anyway, my Charizard know-how is still very limited, but I do know the Charizard-Falcon matchup is heavily dependent on how much you can keep Falcon offstage. Once Falcon's past the edge, he should be taking a lot of damage coming back. A few times you were near the ledge, you opted to throw him back center stage when throwing him off would've been fine. A badly DI'd Charizard back throw can lead into an easy F-Tilt for good knockback. Your edgeguarding game is pretty on-point [those reverse nairs were crazy], so use that to your advantage.

Lastly, try stuffing the nairplanes with your jab, but you already know that. Thanks for the footage, I'll be learning from them!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, I got a lot of matches with Charizard recorded at a Smashfest. These were all friendlies, though, so it was pretty low-key the entire time and I was experimenting with up+B OoS.

Stream Archive Part 1
0:11:13 - metroid (Charizard) vs Hylian (Link)
0:15:01 - metroid (Charizard) vs Riio (Falco)
0:20:55 - metroid (Charizard) vs Hylian (Lucario)
0:31:43 - metroid (Charizard) vs Hylian (ICs)
0:40:27- Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Charizard)
0:45:22 - metroid (Charizard) vs Hylian (Link)
0:56:56 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Charizard)

Stream Archive Part 3 (nothing in Part 2)
0:43:19 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Charizard)
0:49:12 - Tmacc (Diddy) vs metroid (Charizard)
0:52:46 - Ripple (DK) vs metroid (Charizard)
1:00:24 - Ripple (DK) vs metroid (Charizard)
1:03:26 - Tmacc (MK) vs metroid (Charizard)
1:06:16 - Ripple (D3) vs metroid (Charizard)

Last edited:

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
In the match against Shadow, the end of the second match at 6:20, Zen dash attacks the ledge while falcon is returning and slips off facing backwards to steal the ledge. I've heard of this before, but I am not sure about how to do it. Do you just hold away from the ledge as you dash attack it to fall off, but quickly press back towards the ledge to fall off reverse and ledge hog?

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Ok, I've been watching all these matches and they are fantastic.
First, Teneban, I hope this is your wii and you can somehow post a music pack from it or get the owner to do so, it's amazing.

VS Trek
Wow this was an intense match. The PS battles were so fitting, and those songs made it that much more intense. Both played really well, it was close. Anybody know what this match up is considered to be? 50/50?

VS Doraki
The WF fox battle was close, the first stock taken was hilarious. Zen was beating him up all fancy like, Doraki slips out of his clutches, shine -> edgehog. Pretty much sums up Charizard.

Zen plays the neutral game really well by being patient. Seems like he stayed above on platforms often, is that typically a strong place for him because the aerials alone pose such a threat? With a little positional awareness and reaction timing, dair bair and nair cover a large area (Fair too but I mostly see that used to connect after bthrow).

I saw falling sourspot bair -> sweetspot early Nair a few times, does anyone know the % range this is possible and any other special circumstances?

SHFFL sourspot Nair (inside hit) -> SHFFL Fair/Uair/reverse Nair OR jab/ftilt. Can it also lead into grab or side b (air or ground?) Is there a small % range or special opponent DI for these combos?

Glide tactics were brilliant! I'm seeing more Zards use this effectively and want to take better advantage of it in my game, so I'm going to ask some specific questions about what I saw:

- He liked to descend from above the opponent (both directly above and out over the edge) with a short Glide, usually slightly up then Reverse Glide Cancel with momentum the other way to fool opponent. Sometimes it's away, sometimes towards the opponent with an attack.
-- He'll Glide away from the ledge in the air, then Reverse Glide Cancel back to the ledge, occasionally having to upB. Seemed to work pretty well, though could it be punishable to someone who catches on?
-- When he RGC towards the opponent, I saw Fair or Nair usually. Could this be a good opportunity for a nice flamebreath? I didn't see Doraki use it at all, but it's got to have some good uses. Is it popular to use flamebreath to edgehog? Doraki might have done it once, but seemed to prefer the ledge Dash Attack where he slips off to edgehog.
-- Back to this Reverse Glide Cancel, it seems fairly useful as a start to an approach because it begins with an apparent retreat, then quickly propels you towards the opponent. You can delay precisely when you RGC to mix up. Is it possible to wavebounce GC? This would allow a quick bair or reverse nair for more flametail fun.
-- Great use of the short rising Glide to return to the ledge, it seems much quicker than falling low for the UpB
BTW, great sweetspotting the ledge with the UpB, that's key with zard. Nice edge tech, against fox I think..?

Anyway, I learned a lot from these matches and your Zard is solid, Doraki was good too.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm not Zen, I'm Trek
And sorry to disappoint but it's not my Wii either :p

Zen just won another tourney tonight, but only the GF were streamed. He's kind of our French Prof Pro, he's yet to lose a bracket set so far lol
I'll give you guys the replays when I get my hands on them

I can't talk for him, but here are a couple things I think I can answer
VS Trek
Wow this was an intense match. The PS battles were so fitting, and those songs made it that much more intense. Both played really well, it was close. Anybody know what this match up is considered to be? 50/50?
Despite the results, I'd still say it's in my favor as Ivysaur. Call it wishful thinking if you will, but I'm pretty sure if with a bit more work, I can get a shot at him by being a bit more defensive and less... suicidal.
Zen plays the neutral game really well by being patient. Seems like he stayed above on platforms often, is that typically a strong place for him because the aerials alone pose such a threat? With a little positional awareness and reaction timing, dair bair and nair cover a large area (Fair too but I mostly see that used to connect after bthrow).
Zen does like his platforms, he loves spamming nairs from above and doing shield drops. Plus he's got a bunch of edge cancelled glide tricks up his sleeve. That's the reason I took him to dreamland : it's a stage where I can stand under an platform and not risk anything, plus the ceiling is high and he gets most of his kills upwards.
So yeah, ban dreamland.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
In the match against Shadow, the end of the second match at 6:20, Zen dash attacks the ledge while falcon is returning and slips off facing backwards to steal the ledge. I've heard of this before, but I am not sure about how to do it. Do you just hold away from the ledge as you dash attack it to fall off, but quickly press back towards the ledge to fall off reverse and ledge hog?
You either do this or just dash attack right next to the edge and hold the direction towards the stage, I'm not quite sure which method. Either way, it's because the momentum from the dash attack sends you off the stage.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
You either do this or just dash attack right next to the edge and hold the direction towards the stage, I'm not quite sure which method. Either way, it's because the momentum from the dash attack sends you off the stage.
After dash attack, holding towards the stage will make you slide off and grab the ledge.
Holding away from the stage will make you fall off facing away from the stage.
Letting the stick go neutral will make you teeter off the ledge. =]

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Hey i have some recent footage of my zard play. I originated from brawl so my movement and tech skill is not quite there yet. If anyone has any suggestions on the MU's that i played against or anything i should be doing that im not already please let me know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUYxbgI23UU&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFE6RpnhY4&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGqYFNYJb4&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57onQ3h8mWA&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I've been watching all these matches and they are fantastic.
First, Teneban, I hope this is your wii and you can somehow post a music pack from it or get the owner to do so, it's amazing.
It's my wii actualy

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Why are you trolling with this ? Do you hate charizard or something? =(

Last edited:

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Hey i have some recent footage of my zard play. I originated from brawl so my movement and tech skill is not quite there yet. If anyone has any suggestions on the MU's that i played against or anything i should be doing that im not already please let me know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUYxbgI23UU&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFE6RpnhY4&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGqYFNYJb4&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57onQ3h8mWA&list=UUpt0t1EqmsBV4FBjIgsKuQA
I was able to go to civil war this past weekend getting 9th in singles. I have a lot of trouble with fox/falco's. Any suggestions?

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
I was able to go to civil war this past weekend getting 9th in singles. I have a lot of trouble with fox/falco's. Any suggestions?
The most important part I would say is to get the grab. Charizard has a stupid tech chase game with dthrow and bthrow.

Using dair to cover a tech in place yields magnificent results. Even if you miss it and they tech away charizard is quick enough to be able to chase them and regrab.

Top Bottom