• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wart - Subcon's Troublesome Toad for Smash!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Super Smash Bros. already has three of the so-called "Trouble Kings" - Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede - and there have long been fan calls for the addition of K. Rool, who is regarded as the missing member of this group.

However, there's one member of the Trouble Kings who's been forgotten for far too long: Wart.

Who is Wart?

Wart is a large, green toad, with clawed hands and feet, who wears a blue regal robe, a large gold pendant and bracelets, and a royal crown. He wears a perpetual frown, and he doesn't like vegetables - or anything, so it seems.

Though Wart originated in Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic for the Famicom, under his Japanese name of Mamu, as the evil ruler of a dream-world inside a storybook, he is perhaps best known as the amphibian antagonist of the Western version of Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES (along with its Japanese release, Super Mario USA), where he took over rulership of the dream kingdom of Subcon, hypnotised its people to fight on his side, and caused its Dream Factory to instead spew out monsters and nightmares.

Wart as he appears at the end of Super Mario Bros. 2, for the NES.
(Video credit: SethBlizzard.)

Wart has a deep dislike for vegetables, believed by some to be due to a severe allergy, and these are his only weakness - he was ultimately defeated by the heroes force-feeding them to him! He was worse off in Super Mario Bros. 2, where the total number was six vegetables, instead of Doki Doki Panic's original four.

Though it's widely believed that Wart did not appear again after Super Mario Bros. 2, he actually went on to appear in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Game Boy in 1993, where he helps Link by teaching him a song, and he reappeared in a villainous role in the 1996 Satellaview-exclusive, Japan-only follow-up to Super Mario Bros. 2, BS Super Mario USA.

Aside from these appearances, he also appeared in remakes of Super Mario Bros. 2, on the SNES and Game Boy Advance.

Even though he's shown to appear in dreams, Wart must also exist in the real world as well, as BS Super Mario USA makes it clear that he fled to another dream-world to lie low for a while after his defeat in Super Mario Bros. 2, and his appearance in Link's Awakening also demonstrates this, as the game's setting of Koholint Island is actually a dream. Considering that the main cast of both of these games all awake from the dreams, it stands to reason that Wart does, too - though where he's from remains a mystery!

Later appearances suggest that Wart is somewhat egotistical, as he refers to himself as "The Great Wart", in Super Mario Advance (the Game Boy Advance remake of Super Mario Bros. 2). He is also shown to be somewhat spiteful, as he stole all of the Mario statues (which were put up across Subcon in order to honour Mario after the events of Super Mario Bros. 2), in BS Super Mario USA. BS Super Mario USA also showed Wart to be a patient individual, as the game revealed that he went into hiding and took his time to plan out his second attack on Subcon and its people.

BS Super Mario USA.
(Video credit: cvglens.)

Recency?

Although Wart has not been seen in quite some time, he has appeared in several spin-off products such as comics and books, and has been referenced in other Nintendo games, even outside of the Super Mario series, with some regularity over the years, including as recently as 2016.

The Frog's Song of Soul, in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
(Video credit: William Schram.)

- The first such reference was in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, released for the Game Boy in 1993, in which Wart, here going by his Japanese name of Mamu, taught Link the Frog's Song of Soul. This reference was retained in the 1998 Game Boy Colour update, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX.

- In the Animal Crossing series, which began in 2001 with the N64 title Doubutsu no Mori, one cranky-type frog neighbour had their name localised as Wart Jr., in a nod to Wart. Wart Jr.'s default catchphrase is "grr-ribbit", and he has appeared in every game in the series so far.

- The 2005 GameCube title, Mario Superstar Baseball makes reference to Wart in the profile for Shy Guy;

A charming, masked soldier. Shy Guys used to serve an evil king named Wart, but they nowadays make a lot of cameo appearances as friendly rivals of Mario. That said, they aren't always good... On the baseball mound, Shy Guys are consistent players with a few weaknesses.
This profile suggests that the Shy Guys defected after Wart's failures.

- In the English-language version of 2007's Super Paper Mario, Francis seeks to collect more issues of an ongoing comic book series called Cyborg Wart. Cyborg Wart is mentioned in the game twice - once on Francis' to-buy list, and once as an item in a dating simulator.

- The Link's Awakening DLC pack for 2014's Hyrule Warriors (and its later 3DS port, Hyrule Warriors Legends), which was made available in 2016, contains a Mamu-themed recolour of Ganondorf's standard armour, which can be obtained on the Koholint Island map.

- The most recent reference to Wart in the Super Mario series was made in late 2016's Paper Mario: Colour Splash;

Wart reference in Paper Mario: Colour Splash.
(Video credit: mariomonkey773.)

The above video showcases this reference.

Here's what the Yellow Toad has to say, after Mario defeats the Shy Guys (who, let's not forget, were formerly in Wart's employ) who had been causing trouble;

While I was lying there color-drained, I had the most terrible nightmare!

I dreamed that this bad guy named Wart took over our log factory! Was the whole thing really a dream?
And if you speak to him again, he adds;

I can't shake the feeling that it wasn't just a bad dream...
Elsewhere in the game, there are pots that resemble the vases from Super Mario Bros. 2 in which you encounter Phanto, which can also be seen in the above video, which show that the Yellow Toad's speech isn't just an isolated nod to Super Mario Bros. 2.

- In addition to all of the above, in a 2015 interview, Takashi Tezuka expressed interest in making another game in the style of Super Mario Bros. 2;

"I do still feel like the game mechanics — especially pulling things out of the ground — that's something I can still make another game out of. It's just that I've been busy with all the other projects I'm working on. Even back [in the NES era], I was interested in creating another game in the style of Super Mario Bros. 2, but I never had the opportunity. But you never know. If you look at something like Federation Force, for example, it's something I had in mind for 10 years, but it's only now I've been able to realize the game idea!"

Wart in Smash?

Being a toad, Wart would be blessed with good jumping ability, though his large body would make him a big target. Considering his size and status in his home-game, he would naturally be a super-heavyweight in Smash.

A potential special feature for Wart, to highlight his one weakness, could be him taking a little extra damage from Peach's Vegetable attack.

He would be able to attack using bubbles and water, as he did in his original appearance, and could also throw items of his own, in a manner similar to Peach, again referencing his home-game. These would chiefly be Bob-ombs, since these debuted in Super Mario Bros. 2, but there's also a chance of him throwing out something else - including a vegetable, which could be caught and thrown back at him for additional damage, as outlined above.

Since the possessed mask, Phanto, guards keys in order to prevent the protagonists from ever reaching Wart, Wart could also send out a Phanto to chase opponents and keep them busy for a brief time, in order to distance himself from them.

In reference to his appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Wart could also potentially use his song as an attack. Just think - with their musical attacks, Wart, Jigglypuff, and Donkey Kong could all start a band! (You can catch them on Saturday nights when K.K. Slider is performing on the Town & City stage!)

Summary

So there you have it. That's who Wart is, and what he could do. Considering that Smash is canonically about someone playing with toys and imagining the battles, Wart's main appearances being in dream-worlds would make him a pretty good fit!

Though he hasn't appeared recently, and thus probably doesn't stand too much of a chance of making it into Smash, if you like the older, less-commonly-seen characters like this, please consider showing Wart some support! :grin:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I am the Great Wart. Wahahahaha!

He may be old, but he's still gold. It would be interesting to see him come back.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
You know? I never really considered Wart but after seeing this now I kinda want him :drwtf:
I'm a sucker for retro characters making a comeback so yeah, even if it's not much, Wart has my support! :drohyou:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm still kinda mad they didn't bring back Wart and Subcon for Super Mario 3D World. It was a perfect time and the perfect setting.
I'd like to see him in smash, if only to beat the **** out of him with Peach all over again.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
He's not really in my Top 5 or anything, but I'll support him. I'd think he'd be a very interesting inclusion. The appeal he has is the same appeal Wolf had in Brawl for me, personally. Inclusions like him give a certain charm to the roster. A charm that I feel is missing in Smash 4. I can't really describe it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks very much for your support, everyone! This is already more than I ever hoped that this thread would get, so if nothing else, I'm calling it a success for that reason alone. :laugh: (I really don't expect that a lot of people remember Wart!)

I am the Great Wart. Wahahahaha!

He may be old, but he's still gold. It would be interesting to see him come back.
I wonder if they would have Charles Martinet record new lines for him in the vein of Super Mario Advance's clips, or if they'd continue on with Smash 3DS/Wii U's weird "animal characters must sound like animals" approach? (Sheesh, the number of times I've had to explain what a Little Blue Penguin sounds like, to explain Dedede's sound-clips to people...)

I'm still kinda mad they didn't bring back Wart and Subcon for Super Mario 3D World. It was a perfect time and the perfect setting.
I'd like to see him in smash, if only to beat the **** out of him with Peach all over again.
If I'm remembering correctly, I beat him with Luigi, back in the day, in the Super Mario All-Stars + World version, since Luigi was my favourite character to play as in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Anyway, I'd like to see him out of a fondness for the old group of kings, good and bad, that we used to see; K. Rool, who I also support, isn't the only one who's missing!

You know? I never really considered Wart but after seeing this now I kinda want him :drwtf:
I'm a sucker for retro characters making a comeback so yeah, even if it's not much, Wart has my support! :drohyou:
He's not really in my Top 5 or anything, but I'll support him. I'd think he'd be a very interesting inclusion. The appeal he has is the same appeal Wolf had in Brawl for me, personally. Inclusions like him give a certain charm to the roster. A charm that I feel is missing in Smash 4. I can't really describe it.
I hear ya, guys! I believe that the charm you guys both allude to or outright mention, is a somewhat historical one - a nod to Nintendo's history, and the earlier games that made huge waves and caused social phenomena, which ultimately defined the brand as we know it today. Or at least, that's how I see it, anyway.

EDIT: This is fascinating;

It's a video documenting the history and making of Yume Koujou - the event that Doki Doki Panic was created to promote.

It explains a lot about the themes in the game, which of course ultimately got into the Mario series, too - for example, the masks, which appear throughout the game in numerous forms, including on many of the enemies, were related to decorated masks that were used to promote the event.

It turns out that Yume Koujou was at one point a household name in Japan, with 45% of the population knowing what it was at the height of the year-long promotions for the event. More than 5 million people attended.

It's interesting how a very significant part of the story behind the game has been overlooked outside of Japan for so long, and the video is well worth watching if you're interested in learning more about exactly why Doki Doki Panic, and consequently the Western version of Super Mario Bros. 2, came to exist.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Smashified got a big surprise coming Tortilla, you will love it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I would like to support him but considering his origins, would he have a legal chance?
I don't see why not! :)

As far as I know, aside from the characters that Fuji TV created for the Yume Kojo event (the playable four, Mama, Papa, Imajin, and Lina, and the NPCs who need rescuing, Piki and Poki), the rest of the characters who appeared in Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA are Nintendo-created and Nintendo-owned.

The Shy Guys and Birdo are the best examples of this, as they've appeared many times since - and even Wart himself had further appearances in other games and semi-sequels.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I support! I really dig Wart’s design aesthetically and think he could have a pretty interesting move set. It kinda sucks that he’s been neglected without even being included in a Mario Kart iteration or sports game, but he would certainly be a welcome surprise in smash bros. He would be a good Mario legacy character. And who can say no to SUPA MARIO BROTHAS 2 BABY COME ON!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we every get a one off retro villain in the roster, it has to be Wart. He has my support.

Edit: Do you guys think we will see Wart in the Link's Awakening remake as well as maybe a revival of the character in the future?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Surprised that this thread has not been more active since the Link's Awakening announcement.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Same. Was Wart confirmed to reappear in LA?

Btw, totally down for Wart.
We have not seen him yet, but he was in the original. And since they have kept the Goomba's and Chain Chomp in the remake, Wart is very likely going to make a return as well.

Also down for Wart.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I've been really wondering how Wart's gonna transfer to 3D in the Link's Awakening remake's artstyle.

Also, I hope that Super Mario Maker 2 has an SMB2 theme this time!
Also yeah, put me down as a supporter as well!

Oddball

Smash Lord
Wart would be a fun character to bring back.

I'm actually suprised he's never showed up in the Kirby series considering how much that series loves it's cameos and references to other games.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ooh, Wart sounds like a great idea. It really is about time he came back. Do you think maybe his Final Smash could incorporate Birdo or the other bosses (Mouser, Triclyde, Fryguy, and Clawgrip)?

UserKev

Smash Champion
.. Wart would be neat. Its cool that I'm actually just finding out he has a good side to him. I agree that Wart's a potentially missing addition and a nice nod. He's a legacy Mario character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
.. Wart would be neat. Its cool that I'm actually just finding out he has a good side to him. I agree that Wart's a potentially missing addition and a nice nod. He's a legacy Mario character.
Actually, I don't know if I would call Wart a Mario legacy character as he was originally a Doki Doki Panic character and has only appeared in Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 and Link's Awakening in the past 32 years of his existence. But with other Subcon enemies like Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo somewhat becoming average Mario enemies throughout the years, I think Wart along with the other Subcon bosses and enemies should appear again in the Mario games.

It would be kick *** to have any of them in Mario Kart.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Actually, I don't know if I would call Wart a Mario legacy character as he was originally a Doki Doki Panic character and has only appeared in Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 and Link's Awakening in the past 32 years of his existence. But with other Subcon enemies like Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo somewhat becoming average Mario enemies throughout the years, I think Wart along with the other Subcon bosses and enemies should appear again in the Mario games.

It would be kick *** to have any of them in Mario Kart.
He's originally a Doki Doki Panic character, but he's basically known as a Mario enemy, the US version of SMB2 being a memorable sequel, honestly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
For Wart's moveset potential, he could have powerful projectiles, an amazing air down B and his grab could be where he uses his tongue. I also want to see what could be done with his hypnotic ability.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm just not realizing how much of a quality retro rep Wart is with him potentially having the Phanto masks in his moveset. He already has Mushroom Kingdom SMB2 for his home stage, his taunts already being extremely easy to translate.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If Wart were playable, spitting a long string of bubbles would be the most fun part of his moveset. I love how it looks in SMB2. It's the kind of move you just want to pull off yourself, y'know?

Also, since he's a frog or toad, he'd probably have pretty good jumps even though he's a heavyweight. But maybe he'd take extra damage from Peach's vegetable attack...

UserKev

Smash Champion
If Wart were playable, spitting a long string of bubbles would be the most fun part of his moveset. I love how it looks in SMB2. It's the kind of move you just want to pull off yourself, y'know?

Also, since he's a frog or toad, he'd probably have pretty good jumps even though he's a heavyweight. But maybe he'd take extra damage from Peach's vegetable attack...
Spitting string of bubbles is a great way to word it. I could not for the life of me figure out this attack, but still was always fascinated by it. Wart is a dream world character and Smash is barely canon so maybe Wart won't notice his dislike for vegetables. :chuckle:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Spitting string of bubbles is a great way to word it. I could not for the life of me figure out this attack, but still was always fascinated by it. Wart is a dream world character and Smash is barely canon so maybe Wart won't notice his dislike for vegetables. :chuckle:

I could totally see Wart's bubbles working like Ridley's Neutral Special in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Phanto should be more or so Wart's Final Smash, they'd really make him lead to op otherwise. Give him the magic carpet that functions like Peach's floating gimmick. I sort of disagree with Wart using specific items since its basically very unique to Peach. Give him the Down B special to summon 8-bit Shy Guys, Fire plants and the Pow box.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Phanto should be more or so Wart's Final Smash, they'd really make him lead to op otherwise. Give him the magic carpet that functions like Peach's floating gimmick. I sort of disagree with Wart using specific items since its basically very unique to Peach. Give him the Down B special to summon 8-bit Shy Guys, Fire plants and the Pow box.
I kind of discussed a similar idea of a moveset for Wart awhile back in the Smash Sub-Reddit and I got downvoted quite a bit. I mean, what else can you do with Wart outside of his boss fight? If he is going to have a moveset, it would have to be based not only on his boss fight but from other enemies' equipment from that game as well.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I kind of discussed a similar idea of a moveset for Wart awhile back in the Smash Sub-Reddit and I got downvoted quite a bit. I mean, what else can you do with Wart outside of his boss fight? If he is going to have a moveset, it would have to be based not only on his boss fight but from other enemies' equipment from that game as well.
Huh? You can do a lot with Wart, It just takes some imagination. Wart already has enough specials to work with that will make him stand out. Give him traditional punches and kicks and he'd simply work.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Huh? You can do a lot with Wart, It just takes some imagination. Wart already has enough specials to work with that will make him stand out. Give him traditional punches and kicks and he'd simply work.
I think it would be better if he borrowed stuff from the other bosses and enemies in the game for most of his moveset. His recovery can be the carpet, Side Special can be Mouser's bombs, Neutral Special can be his bubbles, ect. You can do a lot of things from using that kind of moveset for him.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think it would be better if he borrowed stuff from the other bosses and enemies in the game for most of his moveset. His recovery can be the carpet, Side Special can be Mouser's bombs, Neutral Special can be his bubbles, ect. You can do a lot of things from using that kind of moveset for him.
I guess it can be a good idea, Idk. The Mouser bombs may grow on me eventually. I see them as more iconic to Mouser while making Wart seem too powerful. A lot of attacks from other bosses, Wart shouldn't particularly borrow. Wart should use the general elements around Subcon you wouldn't think he would use and keep his own aerosol, otherwise he's like Game & Watch 2.0.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I guess it can be a good idea, Idk. The Mouser bombs may grow on me eventually. I see them as more iconic to Mouser while making Wart seem too powerful. A lot of attacks from other bosses, Wart shouldn't particularly borrow. Wart should use the general elements around Subcon you wouldn't think he would use and keep his own aerosol, otherwise he's like Game & Watch 2.0.
Well in some way, Wart is a critical part of Mario's history being the final boss of Doki Doki Panic the game that introduced Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, Birdo into existence. Can you imagine if Nintendo didn't repackage Doki Doki Panic as Super Mario Bros. 2 else where in the world? No Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo in Mario games, no Bob-Omb Battlefield in SM64, no Shy Guy's Toy Box in Paper Mario, ect and the list can go on. Calling Wart or any Subcon rep Game & Watch 2.0 I would say is a complement.

Top Bottom