• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WARNING semi-third party character spoiler ahead!

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I think I found out why megaman(or any capcom characters) was/were not put into brawl, it was because capcom broke there Re4 gamecube exclusivity deal with nintendo. This is supposedly why nintendo denied them the ability to put a camcom character in brawl, thoughts on this?note: I have seen people thinking this as to why he wouldnt get in in past threads, but a couple of days ago X-play also thought this could be why the closest third party(in my humble opinion) to nintendo didnt get a character.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Seems plausible...

Shouldn't this be in General Discussion?

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Seems plausible...

Shouldn't this be in General Discussion?
yes...and no. I cant go to the general disscusion due to trying to avoid the rest of the spoilers. and this place is a mix of disscusion overall, so I thought it was fine, as long as I warned it would be a semi spoiler.

but ya, this seems to be nintendo's way of punishing capcom. but i think it was a bad move(if it is the case) on their part, as having megaman(any form) in the game would have made this game sell even more than it already is(if that is possible). but maybe if capcom works harder for nintendo, and/or there is another smash in the future, we can hope for him then...maybe. but I wont get my hopes up on that, as I learned better from this game(even though it is as awsome as it is.)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Fair enough.

If that is the reason why Megaman isn't in the game, then Nintendo undoubtedly did it as a slap in the face of Capcom. I just don't understand why Capcom would promise exclusivity then go against it. I suppose they did it for more money, as per usual with things like these.

In the end though both companies suffer. Nintendo for not reaping the benefits of attracting even more customers with the inclusion of Megaman and Capcom for not reaping the benefits of being part of a mega seller.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
This actually seems like a plausible reason, although its hard to say. However, I do believe relationships like these between Nintendo and 3rd party developers are the primary reason that 3rd Party inclusion is so difficult... But in the business world you've gotta look out for number one, I guess.

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this is why RE 5 is only coming out on Xbox 360 and PS3? =/ If true, that sucks...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, if that's true, then I hope Nintendo f***ing starts failing with the Wii. Seriously, the fact that Megaman isn't in Brawl proves the Brawl roster's failure. If that's the reason, I hope Nintendo dies. I mean that, too. (I'm not a arrogant fanboy, so IDC which companies die or live, as long as I get the best games possible, and the best games possible are out)

IGN said it'd be a nice crossover, Megaman was the 3rd most desired character for Brawl post the E3 2006 trailer (behind only Diddy Kong and Sonic the Hedgehog), and many gaming sites said along with Sonic, it'd be the most epic crossover EVER! Megaman is the biggest character not in smash. If Super Smash Bros. 4 (there will be one, you can be ASSURED ON THAT!), Megaman better be in. Or I'm not buying it. Because 3 Smash Bros. is enough for me, and I can live without another smash bros. game after Brawl (because it has online)! :grin:

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Joy to the drama queens.

Especially you Johnknight. Your willingness to buy this game in spite of your alleged convictions really makes you quite the hypocrite.

vull45

Smash Apprentice
They'd probably use the most recent version just like they're doing with Link, Zelda, Bowser and such. The Last Megaman game I played was legends so i'm a little behind. It would have been cool if his down b change the beam he fired

T-major

Smash Champion
Megaman was the 3rd most desired character for Brawl post the E3 2006 trailer (behind only Diddy Kong and Sonic the Hedgehog)
Diddy Kong is first party, idiot...

and thats the stupidest reason I've ever heard as to why Megaman isn't in Brawl. Capcom has **** loads of exclusive games on Nintendo (the majority of them being Megaman games) and they even helped make, like, 4 Zelda games! your telling me that Nintendo would be selfish enough to not put megaman in brawl, because they didn't keep ONE GAME exclusive to the Gamecube? (which was probabaly caused by low system sales, which led to even lower game sales) Don't make me laugh! thats ridiculous, and whoever can believe that is ~and I'm being quite serious about this~ a complete ******. period...

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Why can't people accept that there is no special reason why Capcom, Squeenix, Rare, etc did not get a rep.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Why can't people accept that there is no special reason why Capcom, Squeenix, Rare, etc did not get a rep.
Hype, of course. Everyone was expecting something of the sort to happen, so they feel there must be a reason it didn't, regardless of whether that is logical or not.

Zevox

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I hate Megaman. The only reason I even thought he should be in is because I hate Snake even more, and I wanted another 3rd party to balance him out.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Megaman was the 3rd most desired character for Brawl post the E3 2006 trailer (behind only Diddy Kong and Sonic the Hedgehog), and many gaming sites said along with Sonic, it'd be the most epic crossover EVER!
1. King Dedede(5)
2. Diddy Kong(4)
3. Geno(4)
4. Ike(4)
5. Ridley(4)
6. Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
7. Krystal(3)
8. Takamaru(3)
9. Windwaker Link(3)
10. Lucas(2)
11. Animal Crossing MC(2)
12. Claus(2)
13. Demiru(2)
14. Isaac(2)
15. Jeff(2)
16. Kawasima(2)
17. King K.Rool(2)
18. Lip(2)
19. Mega Man(2)
20. Oguma(2)

Geno, Ridley, Krystal, and Takamaru say hello.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Shall I quote this in General Discussion then for the rest of them to see?
ya sure go ahead.
This actually seems like a plausible reason, although its hard to say. However, I do believe relationships like these between Nintendo and 3rd party developers are the primary reason that 3rd Party inclusion is so difficult... But in the business world you've gotta look out for number one, I guess.
ya, without a strong base(a.k.a. good game makeing within youre own company) you dont have much too fall back on.
I think Nintendo would make Megaman a Samus Clone. Any thoughts anyone?
.....I think this has been diss proven. the only similarity at all is the gun-arm-thing. this can be differed by giving megaman(any form) a charable buster while moveing, while it is far less powerful than samus's.
for example-weak shot-2-3 damage no nockback
medium charge- 6-8 damage- directional A knockback
full charge-10-20 damage, knockback just less than a smash attack
ect differences...

They'd probably use the most recent version just like they're doing with Link, Zelda, Bowser and such. The Last Megaman game I played was legends so i'm a little behind. It would have been cool if his down b change the beam he fired
beam would probably have charged if it happened, and the most recent megaman isnt as popular as you would think, it would have most likely been the classic megaman, but there is also a good chance of it (sadly) being the newest one. I was hopeing for X version, but apparently wount ever happen...
Diddy Kong is first party, idiot...

and thats the stupidest reason I've ever heard as to why Megaman isn't in Brawl. Capcom has **** loads of exclusive games on Nintendo (the majority of them being Megaman games) and they even helped make, like, 4 Zelda games! your telling me that Nintendo would be selfish enough to not put megaman in brawl, because they didn't keep ONE GAME exclusive to the Gamecube? (which was probabaly caused by low system sales, which led to even lower game sales) Don't make me laugh! thats ridiculous, and whoever can believe that is ~and I'm being quite serious about this~ a complete ******. period...
nintendo has had shaky relations somewhat after the N64 incident(were nintendo was abandoned for the playstation/sony by many third parties.) and it was disheartening for them to be betrayed again. plus, I am sure they were pretty ticked that capcom would go back on a deal for an extra buck like that.
oh I accept it well fine and dandy(I can still play megaman games anyways, and they are pretty awsome) I just felt this was worth noteing for a reason that could be as to why capcom(being close to ninendo as a third party) wouldnt get a rep like sonic or snake.(and I can understand full nd well they got in by a different means) while the second most requested third party in all didnt.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
1. King Dedede(5)
2. Diddy Kong(4)
3. Geno(4)
4. Ike(4)
5. Ridley(4)
6. Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
7. Krystal(3)
8. Takamaru(3)
9. Windwaker Link(3)
10. Lucas(2)
11. Animal Crossing MC(2)
12. Claus(2)
13. Demiru(2)
14. Isaac(2)
15. Jeff(2)
16. Kawasima(2)
17. King K.Rool(2)
18. Lip(2)
19. Mega Man(2)
20. Oguma(2)

Geno, Ridley, Krystal, and Takamaru say hello.
funny thing is all of them were first party, except for geno...he's a MAYBE...I think....

vull45

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean an exact clone but more Luigified. I does make sense that he would have his own move set though. What was wrong with the new megaman game? I was thinking of buying it

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I didn't mean an exact clone but more Luigified. I does make sense that he would have his own move set though. What was wrong with the new megaman game? I was thinking of buying it
if you played the older megaman games(I.E. 1-8 classic, 1-8 X) then you might feel betrayed by the new playing style, also this new megaman star force is an exact copy of megaman battle network in almost every way. if you want a game like it, just buy battle network.

but if you played and enjoy the megaman battle network series then by all means buy it. but I would still recomend you buy the megaman advent series instead (even if zero is the main character with his new look).

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Sonic only got in because he was by far the most requested third party character. Snake only got in because Kojima wanted him in.

Brawl is SUPPOSED to be Nintendo all-stars. Snake and Sonic are exceptions. There's no reason that he wasn't included, because there's no reason why he WOULD be included in the first place.

We already have a character that can copy powers, we already have a character with a charge shot, we already have a blue 3rd party character
, we already have a robot
. We don't need Megaman.

Boy am I relieved Megaman didn't make it in. Flame the hell out of me all you want.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Megaman isn't in? So what? Sakurai did say that only one or two more characters will be third party.

Zezzl

Smash Rookie
No, The Real reason why Capcom Characters weren't in Brawl was because Sakurai doesn't like Megaman and doesn't think any other Capcom Characters are good enough to be in 'His' Game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No, The Real reason why Capcom Characters weren't in Brawl was because Sakurai doesn't like Megaman and doesn't think any other Capcom Characters are good enough to be in 'His' Game.
Ha.

'His' game. I love how you put quotes around it like it wasn't true.

He isn't in it and that's final. If you really want to play him that badly, go play one of the other many fighting games he's in, like all of the Marvel/SNK vs. Capcom games.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Why do people fuss about this so much? In Melee we didn't even think we would be getting any third-party characters to begin with. Be grateful that we got 2 when smash bros never really needed any to begin with.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah I think that the idea we were going to get lots of third parties was a big misconception.

Snake was a given because Hideo asked for him to be in... Sonic was basically a publicity stunt.

I don't think Nintendo ever planned on more third parties.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
wow I realy must have been asking for flaming to recieve this.

I put up a reason why megaman wasnt put into the game, out of the 100% third party characters(like sonic) he was the second most requested. so I thought it was strange nintendo didnt even approach capcom for a character.

also X-play found it weird that there was no capcom characters either( I dont care what you all think of them as of now) and it was a thought that has been nagging me since I learned the roster.

Im not fussing, I am just trying to give a logical reason as to why he didnt get in. Im fine that he didnt, the game is perfect as it is.

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman
Well, if that's true, then I hope Nintendo f***ing starts failing with the Wii. Seriously, the fact that Megaman isn't in Brawl proves the Brawl roster's failure.
the fact that nintendo didn't put a third party character, does not make a nintendo creation a failure. NOow say they were to exclude Mario or another PROMINENT (<-keyword) nintendo character, the game would be a failure. The game wasn't made to have ooogles of random favorites of fans to drool over. It was made so fans could fight their favorite nintendo character, fight a friend's or other favorite nitendo character. Now probably to increase the fanbase of Smash, Sakurai added 3rd party characters.

To ease my mind, I think at some point if we're really lucky, we might get downloadable content

In conclusion, The game was made for Nintendo lovers, to use Nintendo characters, and no third party character (or lack thereof) could ever change the purpose of the game.

Peace out

Crab-Meat

Smash Rookie
Why do people fuss about this so much? In Melee we didn't even think we would be getting any third-party characters to begin with. Be grateful that we got 2 when smash bros never really needed any to begin with.
Word up.

I was sorta shocked that Megaman didn't get in, considering that his franchise has done more for Nintendo than Snake and Sonic combined.

I'm semi-dissapointed, but I got the characters that I wanted the most (Sonic, DDD) so I'm not that saddened.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No, he isn't in because Nintendo suck balls, which is why I probably won't even very many Wii games past Mario Kart Wii, if that is even good, and not overly n00b friendly and retarted like Double-Dash!! [or how Reggie says it is].

All you younger gamers don't understand. The SNES era WAS the best era of gaming, and was the gaming golden years. Megaman was one of the icons of it, and was seen HEAVILY as a Nintendo character for 2 generations of gaming, and is still a icon to this day. Heck, Sonic is the only bigger 3rd party character.

And RedMage8BT, are you saying Megaman would be a
R.O.B. clone, because that would be stupid. And Megaman is a cyborg, anyways, not a full robot.

And Megaman is better then all these Nintendo characters. Hell, Nintendo lost it horribly after 2001. They've gone straight downhill, and I'm glad I'm a gamer, and not a stupid fanboy. So many crappy spin-offs [Double-Dash, Mario Party, Mario Baseball?], and these spin-offs seem to consume the Mario and Pokémon series, almost. Their games that are aimed at dedicated gamers have minimal replay value now, and no multiplayer. Brawl is the only "real" game Nintendo has made on the Wii with even decent replay value [maybe Mario Strikers Charged, but I haven't played it].

Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Prime 3 are fun, amazing, legendary and all, but in the end, single-player games get boring and lonely, and the way Mario Party has been s*** past 3, I hate [most] sports games [never played Strikers, but I should], and I don't want games for non-gamers, the Wii isn't really going anywhere after Brawl in my eyes but down. Hopefully the upcoming Kirby, F-Zero, and Star Fox titles are good, because otherwise, the Wii is basically done getting good games for the next year or two. We then might go on Wii burnout.

TheMuffinMan0311, are you honestly willing to say Takamaru, Geno, Ridley, and Krystal are more popular then Megaman, or more desired for Brawl=??? After Sonic and Diddy Kong, Megaman was the most desired potential newcomer character, by far, from my anaylsis of SEVERAL big name and small name forums. Then Ridley. Then Krystal. Then Dedede. Then Ike. Really, everyone knows Megaman. Ike's two games haven't even sold 300k units. Megaman's has sold about 29 million. Krystal is in 3 games as a somewhat main character in a minor series. Takamaru starred in a game that probably didn't even sell 10,000 units. Ridley is the main villian of a series that's sold 13 million units.

Point is, if you don't know who King Dedede, Ike, Ridley, or Krystal are, it means nothing. If you don't know who Megaman is, you ARE NOT A GAMER, you are a LIAR! Everyone knows Megaman. If you don't know who he is, you probably don't know who Sonic or Mario are, either. Seriously, everyone who knows even a tiny bit about video games knows Megaman. If you say otherwise, you are a moron.

O, and everyone who didn't want Megaman is a Nintendo extremist fanboy, who want only Nintendo characters. Who cares if they're Nintendo owner or not=??? Megaman is a hell of a lot cooler then almost all the newcomers. I didn't know Megaman WASN'T Nintendo owned until I was 10, and saw Megaman X4. Megaman was seen as a Nintendo character back in the NES and SNES era, appearing on A NINTENDO SHOW known as CAPTAIN N! Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Ganon, Zelda, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Mother Brain, Pit, and Megaman were some of the biggest characters on there. Megaman has appeared on Nintendo systems more then any Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, MOTHER, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber Metal Gear, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Pikmin characters ever have.

If that's not Nintendo enough, then Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach are the only true Nintendo characters. Megaman is as much of Nintendo's history as Donkey Kong, as the first "real" 3rd party character EVER, and the first "real" 3rd party "Nintendo character".

Seriously, wtf? A Wolf that howls, and rips off moves without even killing anybody? Seriously, Megaman kills to get his powers, Wolf just steals a Landmaster, paints it red, and dies in the middle of Yoshi's Island in it when his Landmaster is like 5 times bigger then the hole.

In reality, Megaman is a real gaming legend, and deserves his spot as much or more then most characters on the roster. Megaman is way more well known then
Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pichu, Lucario, Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy, Ike, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Snake, Captain Olimar, etc. ever will be. The fact that he isn't in Brawl proves Nintendo doesn't care about us dedicated gamers, AT ALL! Which is why I really don't see a reason why I should keep getting Nintendo games, since they just keep getting more boring and more boring, with a lack of multiplayer, online, and general fun.

Point is, Megaman is a icon. That is a fact. He should be in Brawl, and deserves his spot more then most the roster. The sad thing is, this is Sakurai's game, and not the fan's game. That is where Sakurai fails, and comes up short, from his lack of making Brawl "the fan's game".
I can tell you a lot of people, stats, and game records prove Ridley would have been a more popular newcomer then Wolf, Lucas, Ike, or Pit, but this is Sakurai's game. Space Animals will probably be top/high tiers again, while Samus is at the bottom. Star Fox has more characters and music then Metroid, when Star Fox is hardly a known franchise, and Metroid is a Nintendo flagship one. Zelda has more reps then Pokémon or Mario, the two biggest franchises ever compared to a franchise that's not even sold 54 milion units, compared to over 160 million and over 200 million.

Sakurai only gave us the bare minimum of what we NEEDED, like Sonic, Diddy Kong, Wario, and King Dedede, a actual story mode, and online [if we didn't get Sonic, for example, Brawl would sell AT LEAST 200,000 less units, guarenteed]. The rest was aimed at non-gamers, to please Sakurai, and to get good reviews, as well as make Nintendo money. If Nintendo really wanted to make money, Megaman would have attracted the old gaming guard, and made new smash fans, but instead they put in characters there will NEVER BE POPULAR instead othe the most popular character left, and a true gaming legend. WOAW!

Edit:

the fact that nintendo didn't put a third party character, does not make a nintendo creation a failure. NOow say they were to exclude Mario or another PROMINENT (<-keyword) nintendo character, the game would be a failure. The game wasn't made to have ooogles of random favorites of fans to drool over. It was made so fans could fight their favorite nintendo character, fight a friend's or other favorite nitendo character. Now probably to increase the fanbase of Smash, Sakurai added 3rd party characters.

To ease my mind, I think at some point if we're really lucky, we might get downloadable content

In conclusion, The game was made for Nintendo lovers, to use Nintendo characters, and no third party character (or lack thereof) could ever change the purpose of the game.

Peace out
I am not a fanboy of Nintendo, that is the problem. I am a true gamer, a gamer who wants the best games, regardless of the company. In reality, Nintendo doesn't have all of the good characters. IDC ABOUT NINTENDO, SONY, OR MICROSOFT! I care about GOOD GAMES, WITH GOOD CHARACTERS! Nintendo fanboyism would have gotten me nowhere after Melee, as Nintendo has almost SOLEY relied on it's second and third parties, and has failed soooo f***ing bad with the Gamecube [back then, Retro Studios was 2nd party]. Super Mario Sunshine and Pikmin 2 are the only good first part games post-Melee on the Gamecube I can think of [Pikmin 1 came out on the same day as Melee].

I'm not a Nintendo lover, I'm a "true" gamer who wants to play the best games, regardless of system. Megaman is a Nintendo character. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser are the only 4 characters I can think of that have appeared more on a NINTENDO SYSTEM THEN MEGAMAN! Megaman has appeared on over 35 Nintendo console games. That's at least 15 more then Link has. If Megaman isn't Nintendo-ish enough, NO ONE IS! He was born on Nintenndo, and was Nintendos' first "big" third party ALL-STAR! Megaman is a HUGE PART OF NINTENDO HISTORY! More then Snake or Sonic are, definitely.

Fanboyism in my eyes is stupid. IDC if a playable character was made by Nintendo or not in smash, as long as they are cool, have a good story, and a awsome moveset. Solid Snake comes to mind (2nd coolest video game character ever...*points at avatar*)

Top Bottom