• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Matchups - Free discussion!

Zmorris94

Smash Cadet
How does Wario match up against Luigi? I'm having a rough time facing my friend. Any tips?

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Spam back air. Don't try to combo him unless you're really safe. It's a really lame way to play, but all of luigi's mus are pretty lame like that.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah auto cancel bairs are really good in this matchup, just one and done him, and don't go too hard. Your damage should generally be better, so just play the numbers game and stay patient and you'll be fine.

Ahrima

Smash Rookie
Anyone have advice in the Mario match up?
I find they can space Wario out reaaaaally well with projectiles + bairs and you get punished hard when coming from above with u-airs.
Also Mario gets some pretty easy kills on Wario from grabs, I find.
(or I'm DI-ing horribly)
Advice pls

Zmorris94

Smash Cadet
With Mario I've grown to be patient and I try to get as many grabs in as I can and just read the opponent. My on stage game against him is getting better but I can't quite figure out how to edge guard him yet

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys! I'm a new PM player/Wario main and I'm having trouble beating my friend's Ness. Any tips for the match up? I keep getting kept out by bairs, fairs and PK fires so it's been tough for me to get in and do real damage.

Thermal

Smash Rookie
What's the general consensus of Wario vs. Lucas? It seems pretty hard for me but some Lucas players think it is bad for him.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Hi guys! I'm a new PM player/Wario main and I'm having trouble beating my friend's Ness. Any tips for the match up? I keep getting kept out by bairs, fairs and PK fires so it's been tough for me to get in and do real damage.
I think Wario doesn't pretty good against him. You both don't have much range but you, as the Wario, have all the air mobility so you can wait for the usual Fairs/Nairs and then go in on him. You also have a good Nair out of shield, which is useful against practically everyone.

Edgeguarding Ness should be fairly easy as well. You can rar into a Bair for max knockback, Fair or Nair if you don't feel like you'd hit the Bair, Should Bash hits Ness' body while he is in mid pk thunder, though not pk thunder 2 (the tackle), I believe. I'm fairly certain that Wario's Dair also eats Ness' pk thunder if timed well. Ness would also be a great candidate for a Dthrow into footstool attempt for easy, low % kills.

Also, this might be just me, but pk fires are usually pretty obvious, especially in the air. Just expect Ness, or even Lucas tbh, to do them if you are a fair distance away from them on the ground. And, in the air, just weave in and then out real quick, like with anyone, to avoid the usual obvious air pk fires. You have to think of them like Akuma in SF, as he basically does the same thing, but them missing is real bad.

And as others have said, Uthrow combos into Uair pretty solidly, if not just bite follow ups on platforms.

Zmorris94

Smash Cadet
If you go to the pm subreddit I asked about the mu couple days ago, you should be able to find it

Player-3

Smash Hero
sheik mu is hard, you can't really jump too much b/c of her godlike antiair and needles but once you get her to like ~50 you can start spacing with dash dance and dtilt to pop her up

uthrow uair kills sheik at 80-100 guarenteed so abuse that, she has terrible landing options so you can juggle her for a long ass time by sharking with uair/bites, dont bother using waft to recover vs sheik unless she isn't nearby, super easy for her to needle/bair it, just save it for a full charged kill off a dtilt or fair or something

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah, my sets with sheik usually end with 3 kills in a game being uthrow uair and the other being a waft kill at 50 lol

also, this may seem obvious but optimal punishing for sheik's recovery is to ledge hop dair into uair/waft if she lands onstage, or ledgejump bite if she lands on something like battlefield platform

Last edited:

Zmorris94

Smash Cadet
I've been learning these the hard way the past couple weeks. Been facing the same opponent at tournaments. Her tilts outrage wario's attacks but you can cc and punish if they're not being careful

moremichaelnow

Smash Rookie
Is there any information on chaingrabs for Wario? I feel confident throwing/juggling a fox but last video i've seen about it has been from like 2.5 or something.

it-a-albinomoose

Smash Rookie
Is there any information on chaingrabs for Wario? I feel confident throwing/juggling a fox but last video i've seen about it has been from like 2.5 or something.
honestly its pretty much the same, only other info is if youre having trouble getting the regrab, try to jab reset to grab and do up throw every time, youll have to do it for wolf and captain falcon but fox and sometimes falco you can just go for the grab, and its at about 10-15% start to like 50 or 60, after that go for up smash to tack on more damage and then either waft or back air or nair to finish or if you can try and extend it but know your limits, go into training just to get a feel on how to get it, also jump cancel grabbing is essential for this as warios standing grab comes out frame 7 and his dash grab comes out frame 10 if you dont know jump cancel grab just do the jump button and grab before you leave the ground so like under 4 frames or whatever warios jump squat is, other than that follow their di on the throw and you should be able to chain grab effectivly

Yallo42

Smash Apprentice
Tips for the Peach matchup? I have trouble approaching and edgeguarding, and I'm not sure how to deal with her pressure. Also her weight makes it a little hard to combo her.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
How should I fight Wario as Wolf? Try to overwhelm him with shield pressure and lasers? Need guidance in this matchup.

Last edited:

moremichaelnow

Smash Rookie
honestly its pretty much the same, only other info is if youre having trouble getting the regrab, try to jab reset to grab and do up throw every time, youll have to do it for wolf and captain falcon but fox and sometimes falco you can just go for the grab, and its at about 10-15% start to like 50 or 60, after that go for up smash to tack on more damage and then either waft or back air or nair to finish or if you can try and extend it but know your limits, go into training just to get a feel on how to get it, also jump cancel grabbing is essential for this as warios standing grab comes out frame 7 and his dash grab comes out frame 10 if you dont know jump cancel grab just do the jump button and grab before you leave the ground so like under 4 frames or whatever warios jump squat is, other than that follow their di on the throw and you should be able to chain grab effectivly
Thanks mang.

XtremeUTK

Smash Rookie
Tips for the Peach matchup? I have trouble approaching and edgeguarding, and I'm not sure how to deal with her pressure. Also her weight makes it a little hard to combo her.
It's a patient matchup. I'll space bairs and weave in and out of her range with fairs. If you come in with misplaced aerials Peach can just cc down smash you. She's not the most mobile character, so bite should be a really useful tool. Stay in the air in this match up and try to stay away from using down tilt too much. You won't be able to get too many combos on her, just edge guard hard with bair and nair.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Ness is pretty easy honestly. Most ness players are super predictable and are easy as hell to bait a PK fire from. Just play the tight spacing game and get him off stage. Nair can actually beat out PK thunder2, and if they decide to Up-b too early, its a free side b or dair for the kill. Ness has a mediocre neutral and has to commit hard if he wants to go in. Keep a safe distance and run under him when the inevitable aerial PK fire comes out.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Alright, snake MU. I did pretty well with it, played a top ten MI player and had one close game and one two stock. I just have such a hard time pressuring him, he got grenades out for free and I really didn't know what to do about it. Comboing him was easy and killing him was pretty easy as well, but the neutral was rough for me. How do I pressure him without straight up rushing in? Even with the bite mixup on shield, I still had a really hard time getting him to do anything that took much commitment. He plays super safe, what do I do?

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Just play super safe in return, use a lot of spaced back air and fair to pressure shield safely. also in neutral you should just be jumping around avoiding all the explosions until you notice their unsafe habits so you know when to seize the opportunity. You can't really play it like any other matchup since if you do normal nair pressure your just gonna get hit by the nade.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it was honestly just a super annoying MU, every time I got hit with Up-B it was a clean 50% or so, plus a sticky. It was ridiculous. I hate snake with a passion, and he just is so safe in the neutral, I got frustrated and ended up mis-spacing stuff and getting hella punished. I'll just try and not go on tilt next time, maybe use more up throw for guaranteed damage rather than down for the tech chase.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Uh you really shouldn't get comboed that hard, work on yo sdi mang. I recently had an experience playing vs snake where he refused to go in and ran around for 6 minutes throwing explosives and hoping id do something stupid which was excruciatingly boring but if you just do safe **** its not that bad.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
How's the Squirtle MU? One of my friends plays squirtle and I don't know if my match is going to go too well, since he beats pretty much everyone.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
I play dirtboy fairly often, the matchup is in Wario's favor for sure. You have to be very wary of his burst movement, but other than that you can just man handle him with dthrow. He has the worst tech roll in the game, abuse it. Also, if they abuse side b, pivot grab is always a good answer. Or just side b it. Invincible nair is amazing against his recovery. I'm fairly sure dsmash covers every tech option if you're close enough. Its just a matter of not being confused by his movement.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
I play dirtboy fairly often, the matchup is in Wario's favor for sure. You have to be very wary of his burst movement, but other than that you can just man handle him with dthrow. He has the worst tech roll in the game, abuse it. Also, if they abuse side b, pivot grab is always a good answer. Or just side b it. Invincible nair is amazing against his recovery. I'm fairly sure dsmash covers every tech option if you're close enough. Its just a matter of not being confused by his movement.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that nair in mind. There aren't too many Wario vs Squirtle videos, so I couldn't figure out who had a better chance of winning.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
It sucks IMO. 60-40 for MK. He can be super hard to find an opening on seeing everything comes out so fast and ends so quick. You've gotta play lame and take what you can get. Punishing him isn't really an issue, but getting in is. Treat him how you'd treat Marth vs Jiggs. He dominates the space around him, so threaten it safely with bair and get the hell out. Never, ever go directly above him unless you want to face the wrath of the uairs. Thats all I got, its just a flat out hard match up. If you ever get a grab, make sure you get as much as you can. Use your fart early if you have to, but get as much damage as possible. Last little tidbit, no matter how much you think you can challenge nair and uair, you can't. You will lose that trade 9/10 times.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for tip! Does anybody here know how to handle Zelda?
Yeah, I'm surrounded by them. It's a somewhat uncomfortable matchup to play, but if done right I think we win it by a tad. I'll number off what I think are the important details of the MU.
1. In general you want to stay grounded. Zelda has a lot of long lasting moves that beat our stuff in the air, so its generally better to not mess with it unless you know you will be safe.
2. Use Wario's pokes. Zelda doesn't have great movement, so poke away at her with f-tilit, d-tilt, and b-air walls. Don't be in a hurry to get in, I think it's better to poke for a while, or just keep about that distance. Right around that range, Zeldas tend to get antsy. Based on how they deal with that situation when they are uncomfortable you can tell how they are as a player, whether they try and force separation with a sparkle kick, or try to start a combo with a grab, or just throw out a panic Nayru's. The first option they pick is normally their stand-by and you should think of that as their default.
3. Speaking of pokes, d-tilt is amazing. If you catch them by surprise, you can follow up with fart. Probably the best fart setup against Zelda.
4. Punish the beginning of her recovery, not the end. If she is lazy and starts her recovery near the stage, you can hit her out of it with a bair or side-b. To punish the end of it, you have to hard predict where she will be, but f-tilt can be a good way to cover a couple options.
5. If you get below her, aggressively chase her with an up-air. Your air mobility is better than hers, and she has no good way to get around the up-air. Make use of that.
6. Fair to up-air is a good combo on floaties.
7. D-air in neutral is a bad idea against Zelda. Don't do it, unless you know you aren't going to get hit on the way down, and you know what you are doing after you bounce off of a shield.
I think those are the main points that work for me. Hopefully that's enough so that you can get a feel for it yourself.

Last edited:

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Any thought on the puff matchup?
Only a couple. Her bair is tricky to get around. Never try to hit her with the shoulder because if she shields it, that's a stock. Up-air destroys her. I hit an up-tilt to an up-air on one at around 50 on FD at it killed her. I don't know if that's real or not, but could be worth looking into.

I'd like to see other people's thoughts.

Top Bottom