• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario vs. Hero matchup first impressions

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Well folks, we finally have a new character post Joker, and surprise surprise, it's a swordsman. In general, Wario struggles against swordsmen, but Hero is a very VERY different character compared to your average Marth or Link.

This thread is to cover your impressions, effective strategies and concerns around this unique matchup. I'll start with my thoughts. I played a few Heroes on Elite Smash tonight, and white these are literally day one impressions with a character people have been labbing for but a few scant hours, let's go over some of the starting aspects of this matchup.

THE GOOD (Pro Wario)

-While Hero is a swordie, he seems to be a swordie with a little bit of heft added to his attacks. Unlike Roy or Chrom, his aerials seem to lag juuust a little bit compared to most of the Fire Emblem heroes. That gives us a chance to counter and poke to get in close.

-It also means Hero has no real good options at point blank range. As Wario, if you can get in close to Hero and keep that distance, Hero is going to struggle trying to get away from you. All of his specials need some charge to get going, and his normals come out much slower than our pokes. The hard part is getting in, but once you're there, you shouldn't be threatened by much until he escapes or you knock him clear across the arena.

-His giant fireball can be eaten. I suspect his sleep spells can be eaten too, but I haven't labbed this and am terrified by getting hit by the sleep spells.

-His recovery is straight doo doo. Hero has to recover from below the stage and his recovery is slow. Furthermore, he has no hitbox from above while recovering meaning our DAir and Waft can take him down for free. This is how you'll probably be getting most of your kills. I know he has Zoom in his moveset but I've yet to see a player use it while recovering. It's too random to be reliable, and most players panic while trying to recover and want to get back to the stage as quickly as possible. Zoom takes too long to use.

-Bounce is probably his most terrifying spell to a sizable number of the cast, but really doesn't affect Wario outside of us not being able to throw the bike at him. He probably won't use it unless we're standing at the edge with a bike in our arms, and we could probably use that as bait.

THE BAD (Anti-Wario)

-He's still a swordie and he out ranges us with disjointed hitboxes. We have to get into his range, not the other way around.

-He has projectiles meaning unlike most other swordies (except the Links,) he can pressure us across the stage instead of at least coming somewhat towards us.

-HE. DOES. DAMAGE. Hero can change the tide of battle with a single spell or smash meaning your victory is never secure. He has a lot of options and his smash is relatively safe, which means falling for a turn around smash can mean death, especially if he crits.

-The sleep spells are terrifying. Even if you're airborne when a sleep spell hits you, you still fall asleep. Due to his ability to buff himself and possibly get a crit, or if he's got a spell charged, in all likelihood, you just lost a stock if you get hit by this. This is Jigglypuff's sing on steroids.

-His electric side special is a mixture of Pikachu's thunder and Link's spin attack but with more range and power if he charges it. Beware of this move and don't let him catch you with it.

OTHER STUFF

-Most of Hero's down B list moves are very powerful to make up for their random nature. Since Hero has to be stationary to cast them, I've found Hero players tend to use them to edgeguard.

-Hero has a self sacrifical move that, if caught in the explosion, will likely kill you too. I don't know who dies first if you're both on last stock, so please investigate.

-Hero's dash attack can tank a hit before hitting you with the second part of the move. Bite usually beats it though.

I honestly thought this matchup was going to be miserable for Wario, but due to his poor recovery and reliance on charge based moves, I think Wario can actually handle him. Couple that with the fact that Wario is uniquely able to handle Hero's devastating fireball, we might have a chance of having one swordie match in our favor. Obviously, we need more insight, so post your experiences and discoveries here.

ONE LAST THING:

If the Hero mains discover a way to pick and choose which items appear in their magic menu and negate the random factor, we're all screwed.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
-Hero has a self sacrifical move that, if caught in the explosion, will likely kill you too. I don't know who dies first if you're both on last stock, so please investigate.
Hero dies first if he uses the move. I found this out when a Hero player tried to use the move and take me down with him.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
UPDATE FOLKS: Just came from the lab and can confirm the following:

Bang, Kaboom, Sizz, Sizzle and Snooze can all be eaten. But beware, for bang, kaboom, sizz, and sizzle, you better already have your mouth open when he fires it off, because there's no time to respond to it if you're going on reaction.

Snooze is slower and a bit safer to eat, however, if he shoots it at you point blank, you'll go to sleep even if your mouth is already open. In general, it's probably better to try and evade these moves than eat them, but if they're about to fire on you from across the stage, you could probably safely eat this and gain the psychological edge over your opponent.

Plus, it's fun!

Top Bottom