• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
D-Air hits every other frame. If it hits on the same frame you land, your hitlag overlaps with your landing lag so you gain +5 frame advantage.

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Very nice sets from Reflex there.

That first Sonic set also proves that the Wah vs Hog match-up isn't as free in Wario's favor as people seem to believe.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think Sonic ****s on Wario. Wario just isn't fast enough to threaten Sonic in any meaningful way most of the time. Brawlman1000 didn't abuse it nearly enough and was far more proactive than he needed to be.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
D-Air hits every other frame. If it hits on the same frame you land, your hitlag overlaps with your landing lag so you gain +5 frame advantage.
But 5 + 3 frame air dodge (average air dodge) is 8. Or am I supposed to count them on frame 6? But that would then mean that they still air dodge it on the same frame it comes out correct?

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
I think Sonic ****s on Wario. Wario just isn't fast enough to threaten Sonic in any meaningful way most of the time. Brawlman1000 didn't abuse it nearly enough and was far more proactive than he needed to be.
I personally disagree. When sonic has the lead it can be hard but the same proves true for sonic. Sonics linear approach makes it hard for him to get in. Plus ledge bike shenanigans can probably be semi effective when chasing him across stage. Plus very early in the game the pressure is automatically on sonic to approach because of waft.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
But 5 + 3 frame air dodge (average air dodge) is 8. Or am I supposed to count them on frame 6? But that would then mean that they still air dodge it on the same frame it comes out correct?
Directly out of the Mad Scienstein thread:

Even though D-Air has 19 frames of landing lag, the hitstun the linking hits provide when you land on the ground before the final hit comes out is enough to combo into other moves in some situations. The linking hits on D-Air have fixed knockback, so the opponent's percent is irrelevant, and it isn't high enough to put people into tumble, so people cannot DI the hits.

Frame advantage is dependent on a few things:

1. Your own Rage value. Using D-Air at 100% will give you greater knockback, and, as a result, better frame advantage than using D-Air at 0%.

2. The opponent's weight. The lower their weight, the better your frame advantage. With no Rage, you appear to have about +4 frame advantage on Jigglypuff, +2 on Mario, and 0 on Bowser.

3. Frame syncing (also known as "frame cancel," but that's a misleading name). Because a new hitbox comes out on every other frame, if the opponents is close enough to the ground right before you land, there is a 50% chance of Wario's landing lag happening on the same frame as hitlag, giving Wario +5 extra frame advantage. This is affected by weight, fall speed, and gravity; the higher those values are, the more likely you'll get that 50% chance, but it can work on every character if you only get one hit of D-Air before landing.

4. Whether or not the opponent is forced to land on the ground after hitstun. This is primarily based on gravity and fall speed values. If they are forced to land on the ground, Wario gains +2 frame advantage but can shield instead of jumping away.

The list for #4 is as follows: Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox, Ganondorf, Greninja, King Dedede, Mega Man, Mii Brawler, Roy, Ryu, Sheik, Shulk (Jump art only), and Zero Suit Samus.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to test outside of Training Mode, so we will have to ballpark advantage that factors in Rage. A general rule of thumb is that greater Rage allows you to get more/better follow-ups; at 100+%, D-Air landing -> Half Waft (the latter of which is Frame 5) is guaranteed on most characters, but the exception is light characters with low gravity and/or fall speed. As an example, Rosalina is hit too high by the linking hits of D-Air to combo into any grounded moves when Wario is at 100+%, and the six frames of jumpsquat it would take to follow up with an aerial is long enough for her to jump away safely. The (very) good news is that most of Wario's worst matchups fall victim to #3 more often than other characters, and most of them are on the list for #4, so they give Wario the most guaranteed follow-ups on average.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
So far I'm seeing a lot of unsafe landings and questionably space aerials, your farts also seem random. The biggest issue is that your movement isn't crisp. I almost never see fast fall for any of your jumps and landings. Hell empty short hop fast fall is god like for keeping your opponent on his toes. Not even sure if you were empty jumping at all.

You new by any chance?

Last edited:

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
So far I'm seeing a lot of unsafe landings and questionably space aerials, your farts also seem random. The biggest issue is that your movement isn't crisp. I almost never see fast fall for any of your jumps and landings. Hell empty short hop fast fall is god like for keeping your opponent on his toes. Not even sure if you were empty jumping at all.

You new by any chance?
I have a tourment nerves problems , when I play online or offline at local smash meeting I always do fine I land my tech and waft kill confirms and usally beat everyone. But when I go tourment I flub my bike tech miss my waft kill confirms and move like I never played wario. Example I practiced for ten minutes
straight puting my bike on stage for an edgeguard I land it almost everytime, I get to the tourment my hands shake and I can't put bike onstage for an edge guard once

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
I have a tourment nerves problems , when I play online or offline at local smash meeting I always do fine I land my tech and waft kill confirms and usally beat everyone. But when I go tourment I flub my bike tech miss my waft kill confirms and move like I never played wario. Example I practiced for ten minutes
straight puting my bike on stage for an edgeguard I land it almost everytime, I get to the tourment my hands shake and I can't put bike onstage for an edge guard once
Tourney nerves? There's a couple ways around them, neither of them are easy. The first method is to have confidence in yourself no matter what happens. For me getting beat up in the middle of a match shakes my confidence and I play worse. Believe in yourself no matter what. Tech flubs also make me lose confidence quick. One of the biggest things about losing confidence is that you focus less on your opponent and way more on yourself, which is a recipe for disaster. Remember you have nothing to prove to anyone so losing or getting your ass kicked won't effect you, don't be prideful. Another thing worth noting is that remember that you can always bring it back, no matter what. Your career as a smasher does not affect who you are outside of smash and losing at smash (even going 0-2 in every bracket) doesn't make you a loser.

The second reason, to put it simply. Is to not care. But that can backfire has you will make careless plays due to not caring. So I'd recommend being confident in yourself and your play. Don't feel confident with your movement or play right now? Go practice till you do. You can beat anyone, trust me.

Playing good is feeling good, never forget it.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
I just wanted to add that you're playing Wario and even if you're in disadvantage you shouldn't worry a lot since you still have the best comeback in the game.
As he said, you shouldn't care a lot on winning, because even if you lost, you still improved!

giglfoosm

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIaxCg0je7E

This is a game I played at one of my weeklies. I am concerned about game 2 in particular as I got bodied against a zss. I switched to falcon and won but I would like some advice on what to do if someone counter picks zss and I am stuck as wario. Any feedback would be appreciated, feel free to rip into me as hard as you can so I can get to the root of the problem. I'm thinking I'm playing too aggressive and leaving my self vulnerable to her teather grabs which should be easy to avoid.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Ryo vs. me. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RucIe6xBC0

I feel really bad. I know exactly what I did wrong. It's disappointing not falling for a lot of his tricks, yet blatently falling for others. Maybe I'll get better with time idk. I stole a thing from Reflex's match with Ryo and it worked lol. I also lost to a marth because I got shield broken at 20% twice in 2 games and died because he was at rage last stock and I don't know how to reliable edge-guard or approach for a kill against marth/lucina now that they're safe and all. I got like 100 empty hop f-tilts on them, but they actually can outspace it now which I think they used to not be able to. It's funny because even tho the guy I lost to is negative against me in tournament, I told the head TO beforehand I refused to play him on stream because I knew he was going to cheese me out. It really is depressing getting cheesed as Wario lol.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321

This is a game I played at one of my weeklies. I am concerned about game 2 in particular as I got bodied against a zss. I switched to falcon and won but I would like some advice on what to do if someone counter picks zss and I am stuck as wario. Any feedback would be appreciated, feel free to rip into me as hard as you can so I can get to the root of the problem. I'm thinking I'm playing too aggressive and leaving my self vulnerable to her teather grabs which should be easy to avoid.
-You need to work on punishing things correctly. The ZSS did a lot of unsafe moves that you straight up just didn't punish. if your unfimilar with the MU find a good ZSS to practice with and learn which moves you can punish.

-clean up your bike edgeguards, 2 separate times you made the perfect setup and read, threw bike up at the ledge then covered roll,but you just weren't ready to punish,You ran up and shielded when you should've pivot f-tilt/dair/nair, your catching the roll so you really shouldn't just stand in shield.

-mixup at the ledge more, lots of bite opportunities missed. Throw in some ledge trumps aswell for some bonus points :)

-Uptilt works wonders for catching ZSS landings. Pay attention to her usage of double jump/flip kick so you can try to throw out he move and have it connect.

- Try to utilize nair more saw almost no usage of it but it's a pretty strong tool overall. Retreating nairs are pretty safe and can catch rolls.

Last edited:

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Tayman Tayman You seem to be pretty nervous on this matchup man, but it's ok everyone was in that phase even i keep getting nervous at big tournaments, i got some tips for that:

- Meditate before going to a tournament
- If you feel uncomfortable with the noise use headphones
- Don't go straight to the next match if you lose, take some time to analyze your mistakes
- If coaching is allowed, tell a friend to watch your match then ask him for new ideas(even if he's not that good he can tell you what you keep doing wrong so you can stop doing it)

Now let's move to the match, you use NAIR way too much, but you are using it the wrong way, remember Nair Sweetspot is only at frame 4 and the next hit will come on frame 15-38 so you have to be close if you want NAIR to hit.

You also might wanna go for more grabs, you missed a ton right there. And last but not least..CAMP a bit more, you got plenty of time so need to rush in, your opponent usually needs to go in otherwise he's giving you free Waft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG-6mfDDqyU

Thought this thread would need some Wario footage, so here's my friend's Wario!
soru soru Really DAT comeback in game two was awesome, just a couple of things you might wanna lookout...

Game 1:

- If you have the advantage you don't need to approach at all
- Last stock you looked a bit obvious on landing a waft

Game 2:
- Trades are good but make sure you get em, sometimes you wanted to dair ness but you were too far away and you got hit by his upair instead

Both games:
- Ness is vulnerable offstage, so try gimping him

Overall nice Wario keep it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwHQ5x-y9sw (Wario vs Yoshi) W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezTWZ9fGiD8 (Wario vs Robin) L
this happened about 2-3 weeks ago i will post the one from last week as soon as its up. feel free to ask questions or give out suggestions
Snorley Snorley

Dudeeeeee, you gotta stop that habit of just going in and expect to win the trade over and over, you got hit like tons of time cause of that, seriously stop it;if things are not working try to approach on a different way like Dtilt to dodge, etc.

giglfoosm giglfoosm You just did some bad spacing on game 2, vs ZSS you have to be really careful with this since that will give her a free up b OOS or a grab, so just work a bit on that and btw you have airdodge that bthrow to down b.

Ryo vs. me. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RucIe6xBC0

I feel really bad. I know exactly what I did wrong. It's disappointing not falling for a lot of his tricks, yet blatently falling for others. Maybe I'll get better with time idk. I stole a thing from Reflex's match with Ryo and it worked lol. I also lost to a marth because I got shield broken at 20% twice in 2 games and died because he was at rage last stock and I don't know how to reliable edge-guard or approach for a kill against marth/lucina now that they're safe and all. I got like 100 empty hop f-tilts on them, but they actually can outspace it now which I think they used to not be able to. It's funny because even tho the guy I lost to is negative against me in tournament, I told the head TO beforehand I refused to play him on stream because I knew he was going to cheese me out. It really is depressing getting cheesed as Wario lol.
Yea it sucks because if your behind one stock is a really pain to get back in the game, don't airdodge way too much, you got caught several times because of that, vs ike you might wanna take your time approaching. Just play a little more patient and try to get him offstage asap

Last edited by a moderator:

giglfoosm

Smash Rookie
C C4- thanks for the tips, I was pretty disappointed in my self after I let that edge guard with the bike slip :( I'll make an effort to incorporate your suggestions to improve my punish game, thank you very much.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman

A couple things. This video only shows 2/4 recorded matches. I might have said on the social thread that I beat sol on Omega Galaxy. Now that I remember, I did not. I was so close and outplayed him in neutral multiple times and secured a strong lead and got KO Punched last stock. It was a really good game and I had gotten a d-air spike on an air-dodge read. The fourth game was on Duck Hunt. Little Mac's potential to KO you on the tree is amazing, so it's not realistic to camp there unless a game is approaching a timeout. I CP'd the stage for the lolz and to see how the small tree might help me. Now that I think about it, Sol loves that stage because of the walls (this might be only for dubs, I forget).

I know it looks like I overuse chomp and here's the thing about that. At the ledge, yes, I used it a lot, because Sol falls for it a lot. That being said, from now on I will be more wary of using it now knowing little mac can get me with F-tilt if I guess incorrectly. During the set I was getting confused as to whether or not I should use chomp at the ledge because he was on-and-off falling for it throughout the entire evening. One mac gimmick he uses a lot is regular get-up+immediate jab/dash attack or jolt haymaker(i'm not sure which one it is, i think it's DA) and wanted to stuff those attempts. As for in neutral, it is an amazing tool that beats F-smash outright, dash attack at the right positions, trades with d-tilt and beats it up close, and loses to f-tilt. I've told Sol this, and we both agree it is one of Wario's best tools in neutral against mac specifically (I don't expect characters other than mac to run into it, not even falcon). A lingering grounded grab can catch perfect pivot u-tilt and dash attack which we both agree can be nearly unreactable to. I personally think perfect pivot U-tilt IS unreactable to (frame 4 and slides like a crazy long distance) and thus use chomp a lot when I'm at a certain distance. Sol, at this point, is super aware and I'll likely not be using chomp in neutral as much, as I think I've found what really works against mac (which you might see in the video!)

Falling U-air is not very good in this match-up. If you land it, you get BIG damage, but it's hard to land due to little mac being short and his anti-air game being very good. If I ever throw out a bike in neutral and not as a low-hit counterattack, it's likely a misinputted b-reverse chomp. Bike is so bad in this match-up and I've been part of his combo video, so I know. I took him to omega galaxy because the grass really weakens his PP u-tilt and running u-smash's slide distance and he cannot wall jump. I would definitely take him back there again. Also, the waft on the lylat cruise covered 3 options, not 4. Gotta love those comeback sequences that lead into max waft.

As for this match-up, I think Wario or Little Mac slightly wins it and there's nothing too much to complain about unless you hate KO Punch in general lol. As for why I didn't taunt when Sol KO Punch SD'd, my taunt was set to jump for some reason. Remember kids, if you don't finish Little Mac off soon, he can get 2 KO punches on a single stock, just like he did game 2.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet

A couple things. This video only shows 2/4 recorded matches. I might have said on the social thread that I beat sol on Omega Galaxy. Now that I remember, I did not. I was so close and outplayed him in neutral multiple times and secured a strong lead and got KO Punched last stock. It was a really good game and I had gotten a d-air spike on an air-dodge read. The fourth game was on Duck Hunt. Little Mac's potential to KO you on the tree is amazing, so it's not realistic to camp there unless a game is approaching a timeout. I CP'd the stage for the lolz and to see how the small tree might help me. Now that I think about it, Sol loves that stage because of the walls (this might be only for dubs, I forget).

I know it looks like I overuse chomp and here's the thing about that. At the ledge, yes, I used it a lot, because Sol falls for it a lot. That being said, from now on I will be more wary of using it now knowing little mac can get me with F-tilt if I guess incorrectly. During the set I was getting confused as to whether or not I should use chomp at the ledge because he was on-and-off falling for it throughout the entire evening. One mac gimmick he uses a lot is regular get-up+immediate jab/dash attack or jolt haymaker(i'm not sure which one it is, i think it's DA) and wanted to stuff those attempts. As for in neutral, it is an amazing tool that beats F-smash outright, dash attack at the right positions, trades with d-tilt and beats it up close, and loses to f-tilt. I've told Sol this, and we both agree it is one of Wario's best tools in neutral against mac specifically (I don't expect characters other than mac to run into it, not even falcon). A lingering grounded grab can catch perfect pivot u-tilt and dash attack which we both agree can be nearly unreactable to. I personally think perfect pivot U-tilt IS unreactable to (frame 4 and slides like a crazy long distance) and thus use chomp a lot when I'm at a certain distance. Sol, at this point, is super aware and I'll likely not be using chomp in neutral as much, as I think I've found what really works against mac (which you might see in the video!)

Falling U-air is not very good in this match-up. If you land it, you get BIG damage, but it's hard to land due to little mac being short and his anti-air game being very good. If I ever throw out a bike in neutral and not as a low-hit counterattack, it's likely a misinputted b-reverse chomp. Bike is so bad in this match-up and I've been part of his combo video, so I know. I took him to omega galaxy because the grass really weakens his PP u-tilt and running u-smash's slide distance and he cannot wall jump. I would definitely take him back there again. Also, the waft on the lylat cruise covered 3 options, not 4. Gotta love those comeback sequences that lead into max waft.

As for this match-up, I think Wario or Little Mac slightly wins it and there's nothing too much to complain about unless you hate KO Punch in general lol. As for why I didn't taunt when Sol KO Punch SD'd, my taunt was set to jump for some reason. Remember kids, if you don't finish Little Mac off soon, he can get 2 KO punches on a single stock, just like he did game 2.
i Money matched at tns and lost 3-2... i think wario slightly lose

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
i Money matched at tns and lost 3-2... i think wario slightly lose
What? Against Little Mac?... No. If you keep going for the same options, little mac will take advantage of this. Make yourself unexpected as best as you can and you'll certainly take the advantage right here. There's no way Wario slightly lose against little mac.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Snorley Snorley At times, I want to say Wario loses. The thing is, Sol has never lost to a Wario in tournament. He has never fought any top Wario players or anyone that I would consider to be a better player, so it's hard to say that Wario loses, but it's nothing I'd completely object to as I think Little Mac is a character with potential to be better. If we can get more video of Wario vs. Little Mac gameplay, optimize Wario's neutral accordingly (and in general tbh...), and then a competitively established Wario loses to Sol (no offense intended), it'll probably be safe to say it's a difficult match-up.

I think Little Mac is a hard match-up to play against, but Wario has the potential to body the character and doesn't necessarily lose the match-up. Just because a match-up is hard, doesn't make it in the other character's favor. I used to feel that Wario loses hard to Peach, but then realized Wario can do it with the right knowledge. Knowing that another Wario player has done well against him might actually tip the match-up more into Wario's favor.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet
What? Against Little Mac?... No. If you keep going for the same options, little mac will take advantage of this. Make yourself unexpected as best as you can and you'll certainly take the advantage right here. There's no way Wario slightly lose against little mac.
i would to see you play sol and judge for yourself

Snorley

Smash Cadet
http://youtu.be/i1n2lgqLpgg
Was lucky enough to play Rin on stream a few days before G3 at a local, made a lot of mistakes like running into tons of sun salutations and missing wafts left and right. Shared this set in the wario discord group but I wanted to see if anyone here had anything extra to add.
just reminder that you can eat the ball and that it is a free 1%.. all wii fit do it at the ledge so capitalize on that

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
i would to see you play sol and judge for yourself
Oh, now it's about sol instead of little mac? That's something else.

Everyone will have their preference. If you find Sol or other players who you struggle hard to play against, I really won't blame you. I only said that Wario don't slighty lose this matchup, but the opposite. I'll say 55 : 45 for Wario and probably higher depends on which stage. I never meant that little mac is a free win for us, but we got a slight or normal advantage here, which we still can lose if the opponent is smart enough like Sol.

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Oh, now it's about sol instead of little mac? That's something else.

Everyone will have their preference. If you find Sol or other players who you struggle hard to play against, I really won't blame you. I only said that Wario don't slighty lose this matchup, but the opposite. I'll say 55 : 45 for Wario and probably higher depends on which stage. I never meant that little mac is a free win for us, but we got a slight or normal advantage here, which we still can lose if the opponent is smart enough like Sol.
I used to say that until i played sol little mac.. he seems to optimize the character way more than any other mac (obv). i beat every single little mac before him and sol made me realize they just weren't playing the matchup right. I learned things like how little mac uptilt will beat any of wario aerials (fair, dair, and neutral) and it combos into up b.
Wario can definitely fight back but i dont think its in his favor considering racking up damage is way easier for mac. (also if he is on top of any platform, do not try to bite him from under expecting him to shield because downtilt will hit you from under the platform and combo into up b or up smash at low percent.. and you will die at 50 ish)

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
I used to say that until i played sol little mac.. he seems to optimize the character way more than any other mac (obv). i beat every single little mac before him and sol made me realize they just weren't playing the matchup right. I learned things like how little mac uptilt will beat any of wario aerials (fair, dair, and neutral) and it combos into up b.
Wario can definitely fight back but i dont think its in his favor considering racking up damage is way easier for mac. (also if he is on top of any platform, do not try to bite him from under expecting him to shield because downtilt will hit you from under the platform and combo into up b or up smash at low percent.. and you will die at 50 ish)
Sounds very scary. Maybe sol knows some hidden tools about this mu and believed in his options more than usual .

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
http://youtu.be/KJGGfoDjKXA Played in tournament yesterday and got bopped really quick by Sean's Diddy, anyone have any advice ? I didn't play neutral very well cause I was overly aggressive. I also kept whiffing nair oos which I should've changed up but I kept doing it. Thanks in advance for any advice m

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
You double jumped and GOOOOO'd a little too much. I know GOOOO is safe against Diddy while he's holding the banana, but you do it a little to predictable so they can shield it all day. Bair/Fair would be fine in the neutral, but Diddy's fair would probably trade/beat both of them (It's a not worthy trade if you use fair against his fair). In my opinion use the bike more as a item in this MU, so it will force Diddy to back off more often.

EDIT: Plus, your landing options where not really that great. (Don't hit me)

Last edited:

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
A strange little combo you got there, BUT.... Beating Cloud's as Wario deserves a +1!

giglfoosm

Smash Rookie
Hey all this is a tournament set I played against pulse.ori, I lost 2 - 1. I felt I played my neutral game poorly as well as missed way too many wafts. Any tips/hints would be helpful as I find it difficult to get in on a shiek player. Thnx in advance.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Last edited:
Top Bottom