• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I think it's more useful in certain match-ups and less useful in others. Sonic is a character i think it is quite bad against. If you watch some of my other matches, i get a lot of mileage (excuse the pun) out of the extra health/bounces that the heavy bike offers. Will i use it again in the future vs sonic? Probably not. Against other characters though, i think it is really good. Maybe it's just personal preference.

Keep in mind this is my first tournament using this custom. There are some things you can do with the heavy bike that make it pretty good. For example, doing a wheelie on someones shield is fairly safe. You can also ride the bike at someone and hop off; the bike stays a hitbox for a little bit (just like the normal bike), but the trajectory that the jump sends you allows you to attack their shield right after the bike hits their shield. In other words. if they choose to shield the oncoming bike, you get guaranteed shield pressure/a grab.

What i'm trying to say is i think it has lots of potential, and i don't think you should dismiss it right away. Is it his best custom? Probably not. But I personally think it's really good. Just pretty bad vs. sonic. It honestly reminds me of brawl tires [just worse :,(
]

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Nah, I just watched the Sonic video, where it did almost nothing for him.

Doing a wheelie on any Bike is fairly safe because it regenerates the hitbox; someone shielding the Bike and trying to jump/grab out of shield gets hit by the second hitbox.

The Burying Bike is generally too slow to force someone to shield; if someone uses it, they should be fullhopping on reaction.

It just looks to me like you're underestimating the safety of the regular Bike and the offensive/recovery potential of the Speeding Bike.

Last edited:

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Well ok, you watched the one match where i basically flailed around like a fish for the first set due to being unfamiliar with the match-up. lol.

Like i said, i realize his other custom bikes may prove to be better in the long run. I honestly love the versatility of the normal bike, and while i'm personally not a fan of the fast bike i can see the offensive potential. I just think the heavy bike is good as well.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
I actually thought his use of the custom bike was super interesting; because of how slow the bike was/the extra health, there were more opportunities for him to leave it on stage/use it as an item. Contrast that to speeding bike, which has not health, or default bike, which is fairly difficult to set up on stage without being completely in control. Maybe what it offers isn't as good as the other stuff bikes 1/2 offer, but I don't agree that it doesn't add anything. There were a ton of opportunities he used to put bike on stage that wouldn't have existed with the other bikes, so he got to cover options/throw bike a lot more often than most warios do.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
I think Heavy Bike is a godsend - it is usable against Sonic but not preferable, as we saw in Jeepy's sets. However, it is overall a very solid choice of a bike for one main reason: camping and zoning.

Being able to immediately spawn a bike and zone with it is something huge for Wario. It's probably the bike of choice against characters like Sheik who are going to be all up in your face and aren't really fazed by standard bike shenanigans and can punish them. But against characters who suffer from bike hits, like Rosa and Sonic, Speeding and Standard bikes are probably preferable.

I just want to make sure people understand the implications of Heavy Bike and don't underrate it. You can really do **** with this bike if you play to its strengths. We should have a bigger discussion about this somewhere on the Wario boards in my opinion.

Last edited:

Magik0722

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH-rn4JgZjk&hd=1
Another video of me vs a pikachu.

It seems like the main proponent people are arguing for in case of the heavy bike is that you can get it on stage easily, since you can jump off it while already on stage without having to go to the lip. The thing is its possible to do this as well with the regular bike if you start going in the absolute slowest speed. Making it almost the same as the heavy bike. Therefore the only real advantages to the heavy bike are:
The burrowing effect - which I really dont ever see people landing it, and if they do burrowing itself is not that great.
Higher HP - Don't see the difference in HP ever actually coming up to be an issue.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, the jump off the Bike is shorter on the Heavy Bike. I think what they like most is being able to jump off the Bike and attack an opponent as/immediately after the Bike hits the opponent. The problem is that opponents have no reason to just sit there and take it, making this pretty weak and gimmicky offensive pressure.

Having the Bike on-stage is often quite risky to begin with, too; putting the Bike on-stage while the opponent is still around is generally not a good idea against more mobile characters, since they control space better as it is. They're more likely to use it against you in a useful fashion than the other way around, and it could leave you with a significantly worse recovery. Someone like Sheik will gladly carry you to the blast zone with smart F-Airs -> Down-B, for instance. Wario wants to hang out near the ledge to push his (l)edgeguarding game, but that's significantly more dangerous without a good Bike for recovery. Even if it were useful, the relative defensive safety afforded by the regular Bike and the great speed/offensive potential afforded by the Speeding Bike seem way more useful in any matchup I can think of.

Also, this needs more testing to be sure, but I think that the Bike's health while thrown works differently than normal. I know that if Mega Man uses three pellets on a Bike that Wario throws forward, it will explode before it hits the ground. I think that damage to the Bike might always be the same on hitboxes that interact with it, so something like "any attack that hits it while it bounces deals 8% damage to it."

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I've also got some clips of myself to post today! This was a crew battle tournament that took place this Tuesday and I had the pleasure of repping Wario for my crew.

http://www.twitch.tv/adaptchance/b/656428340

1st Match: 05:40:19:4yoshi:
2nd Match: 05:46:55:4lucario:
3rd match: 06:24:45:4mario:
4th match: 06:34:58:4charizard:

Please critique for me, I need to know where to improve.

PS: We placed 3rd out of 9 crews in the tournament ;)

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Considering how badly Marth got nerfed, I feel like him having a guaranteed KO setup off of a grab is reasonable, honestly.

Wafty

Smash Apprentice
LOL @ Magik0722 Magik0722 watching the Texas tourney.. loving your taunts, good stuff on the iGGY upset. I was cringing everytime you grabbed Rosalina and didnt back throw though

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Placed 3rd this week. I lost to Zex (sheik) twice. Wanted to stick with heavy bike for winner's semis, even though it was pretty clearly not good for the match-up. Went back to normal bike part way through loser's finals.

Vs. NME Zex (Sheik)

Vs. X (Diddy)

Vs. NME Zex (Sheik)

ewic

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2363-5634-0009
Wow amazing games Jeepy. Love the aggressive style you have. I'm curious what you think of the custom bike you used. I noticed you went back to default vs Zex. I'm new to customs so I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I enjoy heavy bike a lot, but I feel like it's not very good in certain match-ups. Sheik's frame data, speed, projectiles, and edge guarding make heavy bike not very effective. It's a bit too risky and I wasn't able to get much out of it, so I went back to normal bike and did much better. I'm still trying to figure out which match-ups I like heavy bike in (and honestly still figuring out how to use it efficiently and to it's full potential, i'm still in the lab with it).

Here are some more recent tournament videos:

Vs. Ctrl (ROB)

Vs. iLink (Greninja/Fox)

Vs. iLink (Fox)

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I got a 12% waft KO on my bro's Marth while he had a 146% lead on me.

He was understandably a little flustered.

Last edited:

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
This video is me fighting a top level 3ds pikachu as wario. I'd really appreciate any and all tips, as my Wario is far from perfect.

EDIT: yes I realize I went for chomping the neutral b spam coming at me too often. Andi realize landing on the stage after being tossed off is stupid. I need tips on how to play neutral as good as possible mainly.

https://plus.google.com/117183072876457505474/posts/NRpp7AMp9rY

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I can't think of many characters who don't have a bad match-up against Sheik.

Lucario is like the only character who might have a positive match-up due to her lack of KO power letting him build aura to the point where he can KO her at 60-70% easily.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
The second match ended up somewhat close in that video. I think there should be at least some credit given for that.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I can't think of many characters who don't have a bad match-up against Sheik.

Lucario is like the only character who might have a positive match-up due to her lack of KO power letting him build aura to the point where he can KO her at 60-70% easily.

It's incredibly easy for Sheik to just beat Lucario in the neutral over and over again.

Side note: I have a pretty good natural feel for Wario. I do very well with him when I play him. Learned a few things watching Oracle. But who do I watch to up my Wario to the next level? What players do you guys like to watch?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
It's incredibly easy for Sheik to just beat Lucario in the neutral over and over again.

Side note: I have a pretty good natural feel for Wario. I do very well with him when I play him. Learned a few things watching Oracle. But who do I watch to up my Wario to the next level? What players do you guys like to watch?
Just go through the last few pages of this thread. There isn't many of us so it wont take long to watch them all anyhow.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Hey, I've been working on Wario as my secondary, I was wondering if I could get some critique on this match vs. a Pika.
Your Wario looks pretty good so far! Just a few opinions
Wario's jab isn't amazing, it starts up slow, yet finishes too quickly to catch a spot dodge. I recommend n-air as that can catch rolls/spot dodges and combos into b-air, u-air and even waft at some percents
I generally don't recommend using d-air and not getting the last hit against characters that have an anti-combo aerial (quick n-air usually). Sometimes I mix up avoiding the last hit of d-air to catch the opponent shielding and follow up with chomp but against Pikachu (and especially against aggressive opponents like this one), I wouldn't recommend it. Instead n-air, b-air or f-air (depending on percent) as you'll get more out it
b-air is a great fast aerial for Wario, and I recommend it over f-air at low percents since f-air has weak knockback and hitstun at low percents so the opponent can retaliate
At high percents, instead of using jab, I recommend d-tilt followed by a grab (I'm not sure if this is a safe combo, but it's faster and could net more than a jab, which is now knocking too far away to get anything out of)

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Your Wario looks pretty good so far! Just a few opinions
Wario's jab isn't amazing, it starts up slow, yet finishes too quickly to catch a spot dodge. I recommend n-air as that can catch rolls/spot dodges and combos into b-air, u-air and even waft at some percents
I generally don't recommend using d-air and not getting the last hit against characters that have an anti-combo aerial (quick n-air usually). Sometimes I mix up avoiding the last hit of d-air to catch the opponent shielding and follow up with chomp but against Pikachu (and especially against aggressive opponents like this one), I wouldn't recommend it. Instead n-air, b-air or f-air (depending on percent) as you'll get more out it
b-air is a great fast aerial for Wario, and I recommend it over f-air at low percents since f-air has weak knockback and hitstun at low percents so the opponent can retaliate
At high percents, instead of using jab, I recommend d-tilt followed by a grab (I'm not sure if this is a safe combo, but it's faster and could net more than a jab, which is now knocking too far away to get anything out of)
Thanks for the advice, I have trouble landing bair except for when someone is chasing me in the air. Do you have any advice on how to land bair more consistently? The end lag kind of scares me away from it, but I guess I just need to get better at autocanceling it or something.

As far as dair goes, how do I change up whether I get the final hit or not? For the most part if I don't hit that last one, it's a mistake and not intentional.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
b-air has no landing lag if used immediately at the start of a short hop. If your opponent is short however you will probably have to risk the end-lag by fast falling or using it close to the ground (n-air is probably the best aerial to hit short characters at low percents)

Fast falling d-air, if the d-air is done at the apex of a full hop, or even at the start of a short hop, will usually result in the last hit being cancelled because you've hit the floor by then. As for judging the distance, start the d-air before making contact with the opponent (I'm not sure exactly how far away you have to be from the ground, but the last hit is what makes d-air good, especially against characters that can punish the lack of hitstun and knockback on the other d-air hitboxes)

Top Bottom