• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread

JSConrad45

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I made a Wario wontage that you might enjoy. The video quality is bad, did the best I could with what I had to work with (which ain't much), but I tried to make up for that with the music quality, going all-out on my own rendition of the Greenhorn Forest theme from Wario World. I've developed my Wario basically entirely in the dark -- I don't know anything about how he's played competitively -- but hopefully you'll find some of the techniques in here useful. At the very least, you should be able to enjoy the music.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some customs stuff for your enjoyment from this past Saturday. Mostly Speeding Bike and Rose Waft, but a little Turbo Waft, too.

vs. SWS | Auroura (Sonic):

vs. Virgo G (Luigi):

vs. Scatt (Mega Man):

vs. SWS | Fatality (Captain Falcon):

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
First time pulling out the tournament Wario:

I'm running 1113 against this Mario.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think Rose Waft is actually better than the regular one against a lot of important match ups. That range just can't be ignored, it charges faster, and it does a lot of damage over time. It's not even like it can't kill either.

JSConrad45

Smash Cadet
@ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy what would you say are the particular advantages of dair to up-B as opposed to dair to utilt? I've been doing dair to utilt almost exclusively because you can often get followups on it and the damage isn't much less even if you don't get followups. However I know some characters can actually nair out of it if they SDI the dair properly; does up-B cover that?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Doing a landing D-Air without getting the final hit doesn't have very good frame advantage, so the faster your follow-up, the more reliable it is for beating an opponent's options, usually. Alternatively, you can move away from them with something like F-Tilt/F-Smash (since you lean back on start-up).

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
@ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy what would you say are the particular advantages of dair to up-B as opposed to dair to utilt? I've been doing dair to utilt almost exclusively because you can often get followups on it and the damage isn't much less even if you don't get followups. However I know some characters can actually nair out of it if they SDI the dair properly; does up-B cover that?
What Reflex said, UpB is a faster but riskier follow up than Uptilt. It also deals slightly more damage: 19% with UpB vs 16% with Utilt (this is assuming you get all 6 initial Dair hits and cancel the 7th one landing).

Some opponents can Nair to interrupt upB, Mario can do that too along with Luigi and Yoshi. Other opponents like Falcon and Fox get stuck in it at low percents because they suffer hitstun + landing lag.

This Mario just wasn't doing nair though, so I took advantage of that.

EDIT: I got away with it in that game, but I think the key is to mix it up between utilt, upb, and the dash away ftilt / fsmash

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is the timing very strict, or do you just have to be in that animation when it's going over a ledge? Does it regenerate the hitbox if it hits an opponent (or their shield) beforehand?

My guess is that when the Bike enters a different hitbox state (the non-manned Bike loses its hitbox when it goes from the ground to the air, for instance; it also "loses" the hitbox after hitting someone or their shield), it turns to face the same direction as Wario. Perhaps it's happened in the past by Wario's getting hit or Up-B'ing causing him to facing the opposite direction before it goes over the stage. If this works on shields, it means we could likely reverse the Bike when it's shielded to make it come back toward us immediately!

Research must be done!

Last edited:

Wafty

Smash Apprentice
Is the timing very strict, or do you just have to be in that animation when it's going over a ledge? Does it regenerate the hitbox if it hits an opponent (or their shield) beforehand?

My guess is that when the Bike enters a different hitbox state (the non-manned Bike loses its hitbox when it goes from the ground to the air, for instance; it also "loses" the hitbox after hitting someone or their shield), it turns to face the same direction as Wario. Perhaps it's happened in the past by Wario's getting hit or Up-B'ing causing him to facing the opposite direction before it goes over the stage. If this works on shields, it means we could likely reverse the Bike when it's shielded to make it come back toward us immediately!

Research must be done!
The timing isnt strict, all you do is jump off bike and side B the other direction and the bike follows, it doesnt have to go over the ledge either. Yeah we should all do testing with this, would love to find more glitch stuff with wario bike!

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The timing isnt strict, all you do is jump off bike and side B the other direction and the bike follows, it doesnt have to go over the ledge either. Yeah we should all do testing with this, would love to find more glitch stuff with wario bike!
I'll investigate it this afternoon; should have a lot of information up tonight.

Please, can we call this Ghost Riding? :p

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I get the impression that only the Speeding Bike can hit someone after it turns around, due to its higher velocity allowing it to cause damage for a longer period of time.

In any case, I look forward to using it to troll people. It would be legendary if someone got a KO by having a reversing bike knock someone towards them for a Wario Waft follow-up.

EDIT: It works with all of the bike variants, but the weird boomerang effect only occurs with the Speeding Bike, and gives you an easy method of keeping it on stage for throwing. There seems to be a very specific timing where if you turn the bike around just before it hits someone, it'll hit them towards you instead of away which could potentially allow for follow-ups.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
False alarm; I'm pretty sure I know how this works, and as far as I can tell, it has no significant benefit for us. :(

When the Bike still has an active ground hitbox, it faces the same direction Wario is facing, period. If you do anything that turns you around (basically B-Reversed Special moves or Forward-B in the opposite direction), the Bike will turn around while still moving in its original direction and instantly lose the hitbox. I assume it's because that specific Bike hitbox is linked to Wario's current state (which is why there was that old glitch where people could hit the moving Bike and damage Wario even if he's far away), which you change when you press any B move.

When you get hit by an opponent, you're not changing Wario's state in a way that tells the game to cancel the hitbox (there's a "Terminate Collisions" state on many moves in Brawl, at least, so I assume this is what handles it here, too), so the hitbox stays out.

I got the regular Bike to stay on-stage after turning it around once out of about sixty tries. It doesn't seem to be of any significant worth. :(

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yet another glitch I mentioned a while back in a different thread, which I tentatively deem the "seizure bike" for reasons that are somewhat self-explanatory (Watch in high quality for best results).

This makes a fantastic GIF:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can do the same thing if you're on the edge, Forward-B off the ledge, and immediately turn; there was something similar in Brawl, and it was especially noticeable on Yoshi's Island (Brawl). You can turn infinitely as long as you have space to move. I assume you were considered on the stage for that moment while you were moving upward, then back in the air as you started turning.

Unfortunately, you have no hitbox while you're doing that in mid-air (actually, you might, but I think it would only hit people on the ground, like doing skid turn on the ground [I can confirm by having a Peach float right next to the ground; she won't get hit]), so it's unlikely that it's useful for anything.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Here's a custom online match (although the only custom is rose waft lol) vs a friend who mains Shulk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iss1iNLCLSE

I mostly wanted to show off this particular moment though:

Rose Waft is INSANE
Holy crap, I need to know more about this hitbox. I knew Rose Waft was wonky, but I just don't know much about it. Teach me.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The hitbox extends about as far as the gas cloud visual does in every direction.

If you have a bike to extend the waft's hitbox duration, then avoiding it is going to be virtually impossible for someone who isn't recovering high.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Nothing better than seeing Sonic/Sheik players get hit with a face full of Waft. Characters who are that safe deserve that kind of humiliation.

Well we finally get tournament videos of someone using burrowing bike. However in all honesty it seemed not to great.
Keep in mind that a lot of what Jeepy did would not have been possible with the regular bike. The strength of the burying bike doesn't come from its ability to bury, but its increased health and the ease in which you can hop off it. You don't need to do any edge shennagins, you can deploy anywhere on stage, and even when you dismount it maintains its burrowing properties.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There were almost no situations in which he got the Bury effect, and the follow-ups seemed minor (should've used D-Air to get them out in order to prevent the reduced knockback).

He didn't get anything out of the increased health, as far as I could tell. Sonic's spin dash won't break it in a single use, and you can leave it on stage by doing it slowly (Forward-B while pushing forward slightly). It does just as much damage throwing it with the regular Bike.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Are we watching the same videos? He got the bury effect plenty of times, and it even netted him a kill against Peach. Also, it's more just about stage control IMO. You can use it to approach, and cover both ground and air options since it still buries after you dismount. Also, using it as an edgeguarding tool is another good use, since the increased health means it can hit 3 times in a row if thrown up. He got a bunch of damage against Sonic in the finals using the bike toss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom