• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread - Show off or critique!

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
HE'S FOUND THE SECRET

I do this but instead of doing it into an attack... grab. Epic. I never thought of going for pokes with Dtilt though, nice.

Bash Dance... I think you could certainly slap a name on this, but it's not really dance-like to me. I think people would also misunderstand often and actually confuse it with Dash Dance. I know it's supposed to be cute, but I think it's impractical.

Wow, your Wario plays a lot like mine.

Your spacing is good, but I can tell there's some of Wario's intricacies you're not totally in tune with yet that'll just come with more experience and toying around. You seem comfy with his basics though.

I'm not sure what to recommend cause that Falcon has no idea what to do against Wario, so honestly I think it'd be better if you could provide some footage against a better opponent.

Thanks. I have more Wario vids around, I'll see what I can round up, some might be from 2.6 though :( . I still swap between Wario, ROB and Olimar (And I tend to play Snake against fat characters such as Bowser and DDD) but if I stick to one character the I think I'd chose Wario.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Me vs JWu (Marth, Fox)

Definitely a bit sloppy, but it's the first set I've won on stream lol so I figured I'd post it.
I lose game 1 to Marth on PS2. Lots of technical flubs, jitters got to me. Game 2 I cp Dreamland and he switches to Fox. I capitalize on his not knowing the MU pretty hard, although beyond that I think I think my play was pretty solid for the most part. I get a bit antsy with my lead later which leads to some pretty funny dropped edgeguards, but it's better than being overaggressive I suppose. Game 3 he cps Smashville and goes back to Marth. On one hand I'm pretty embarrassed by this one because of how hilariously bad my techs were. I tech in practically every time and keep doing it even after getting punished. No idea what was going through my head there. Outside of that though I'm pretty proud of how I played here. Kept a level head, spaced pretty well, and used the stage to my advantage. I feel like this set as a whole pretty accurately represents me as a player atm.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I think you played pretty decently. I could tell you had jitters, but you played well considering. You got away with too many crazy side b shenanigans that wouldn't work on someone that knows the match up, and there were indeed mistakes, but overall, you should be proud of your performance. Btw I liked when you landed soft uair into sweet spot uair, very nice.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Fun fact: I tech in place about 90% of the time. If you ever want to make me look like an idiot, commit this to memory.

You're not alone, my friend!

Leaping

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Wario mains! I am a Wario main from Tallahassee, Fl. I'm never posted on here before I've just kind of lurked around the forums trying to watching videos and trying to learn. I managed to place 5th a pretty big local for here 50+. A friend of someone came and streamed it and saved the videos. He put top 8 on Youtube. I played poorly and made lots of mistakes because of nerves from never being on stream before but I'm posting them helpful tips would be appreciated. I already know I used side b WAY too much and I also had zero match up knowledge of Roy or Ike so yeah. Also a bad counter pick by picking Warioware I don't know what I was thinking on that one. I also forgot Ike could bounce of the wall. I'm bad.

I'm Roar by the way I made this a long time ago and just used part of my xbox tag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW8GGFuJqu8 vs Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRtbJWw-REc vs Ike

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I watched the games vs the Roy, and he is a tough matchup. Whenever you would try to use dair, it was very predictable, but it's good that you did not try to use it too much. Roy's recovery isn't the best so I suggest working on edge-guarding. You tried a lot of times to throw him off and nair, or try to land a dair. Let me tell you from experience: never dair offstage. Almost all the time you will fall to your death, and the opponent can also just airdodge to have you both die as the worst-case-scenario for them. You also did not get very many "follow-ups" after a hit (Sadly Wario doesn't have a ton of true combos), while he was hitting you all over the place. It was cool to watch, though, thanks for posting.

Leaping

Smash Rookie
I did some ill advised dair attempts but I won't stop I actually clutched out a 2 v 1 earlier in that tournament with some nice dairs along with some good ones in previous sets. I was just trying to do what ever I could to steal a win. I've only beat him like once or twice and he beats me all the time. That was our first time playing in tournament though. I just need to practice more but work gets in the way of everything, Thanks for the tips I'm usually better at edge guarding people and with more match up experience and less nerves I should play better.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech

Ace55

Smash Lord
Well, I've got one new Wario vid, should've recorded more but I'm working on my Ganon.

vs Faab (Samus)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I happen to have a video of my Wario and would love some quick thoughts on it. The video is from over a month ago as sadly I no longer have people to really practice with.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Make more/better use out of your fast and lingering hitboxes. As N-Air hits twice, it's great for low-damage comboing. Many of your B-Airs could have been N-Airs or F-Airs, really.

You don't N-Air nearly enough in neutral or when fending off pressure. Retreating N-Air/F-Air is good stuff. I like the Dash Attack use, though, personally.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Me vs. Trail's Ganon/Bowser
I really like your bite usage off the ledge in the first game and that triple bite combo on his bowser.
The bowser match has good examples of following up bad bitethrow DI with another bite. Good falling bites too.

You have a really distinct style at least in the Ganon game. Playing around the platforms and whatnot.
Do you prefer that to DTilt/Jab Combo approach or is it matchup specific in Ganon's case?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Thanks!

I prefer that style in general, but it works a lot better against characters without projectiles, since they try to be in your space more, and you can play around that using the platforms and Wario's air speed. My Wario is nothing without platforms, which is why I always ban FD unless I know the person won't take me there.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Just learned of Coney today while watching Xanadu.
There'll be another vod of him I'll post once todays Xanadu footage gets uploaded by vgbc. Theres a fair into bite followup that ya'll love.
From S@X Weekly Xanadu

Coney (Wario) Vs. MORE | Chudat (Kirby) 6/17/2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kzJa0ptUM

(Theres a dirty fart bullet kill and a waft techchase.)

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
I'm kind of new to Wario and Smash in general and would love to get some critique. I have absolutely no idea how to play him lol
You want to exploit his aerial control more. Almost as if you're dash dancing in air. You can bait out a lot of things.
There are many things you can do out of SHFFL FAir. You can Grab, DTilt or Jab Combo. For example there was FAir followup you missed on Falcon when you did FSmash. In that situation DTilt into Jab Combo or Jab Combo into FSmash would work better.
Keep in mind DTilt can lead into a Jab Combo (which extends hitstun really well).

Your Waft read on his Falcon Kick (in the 2nd video, against Mithos) was really good. I've never thought about that. (My brother will cry after I try that against him hehehhe.)

You can extend your Side B by jumping. It'll switch you into an aerial Side B arc. Be careful about doing that. Your opponents can stop it with a NAir usually.

There was at least one techchase situation where you were on top of him and he was techrolling in a direction. In that situation you should DACUS. At low percents it can lead into a followup UpSmash. At higher percents it can be as if you just DAir'ed him.
If you can get a guaranteed DAir take it. It can lead into a Waft or UAir.

Try watching some of the other videos in this thread. I recommend Strong Bad and Alpha Dash (Heres a good game of his against Falcon.)
Just remember. Wario is the punisher.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
I have no idea how to fight Snake.
I have another video that should be up soonish, the stream died during the set, so we have to get it from the local recording instead.
That first match tho.
GODDAMN THEM DAIR SPIKES. SO FCKING CLUTCH.
Absolutely righteous. I was so worried cause you got so SideB hungry even when Sago knew how to out prioritize. Anyways...

The biggest things in that Snake match I noticed was edge guard options and his platform control.
I guess offstage BAir is the primary option. I'll have to test DTilt. (The UAV acts so weird.)

Snake kinda poops on Wario hard when he has that platform advantage of being underneath. Even against your platform drop bites.
Tranq really poops on Wario too.
You might be able to bite grenades.
I imagine it comes down to a lot of spacing. Center stage control seems like a must. (or FD counterpicks).

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Lmao I don't know why I kept going for side B when I knew his down B just beats it outright every time

I'm really weary to bite grenades, but I've never really tried. I like biting Link bombs to troll, but I wasn't in a troll mood in this match, I wanted to win haha

Yeah I didn't control center very well, and I'm not a fan of FD as Wario, actually. I like platforms too much, but so does Snake, so I could give it a try next time, thanks!

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Ha zwarm you're like the second person rockin the coffee color on wario besides myself, props duder. I also don't particularly care for FD, platforms are way too fun. Biting grenades is a terrible idea because of all the damage it does and how long it takes to come out of the animation. Now if you wanna be silly in a casual match, its OP lol.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Lmao I don't know why I kept going for side B when I knew his down B just beats it outright every time

I'm really weary to bite grenades, but I've never really tried. I like biting Link bombs to troll, but I wasn't in a troll mood in this match, I wanted to win haha

Yeah I didn't control center very well, and I'm not a fan of FD as Wario, actually. I like platforms too much, but so does Snake, so I could give it a try next time, thanks!
biggest problem i saw vs snake was when he was offstage - you just got too eager. you repeatedly chased him out there but i think its better to set up a punish on his landing by grabbing ledge if he's low or staying under a platform if he's recovering high.

like your second stock at about 5:15 your positioning was questionable. you double jumped (maybe to avoid the grenade or something) when you should have just grabbed ledge to force him on stage so you could like bite him or fart or something. Then around 5:30 he recovers high twice and you go for a kill during his upB but your double jump doesn't go high enough. you know he's gotta come down and he has pretty limited options in that position so just stand on left platform so you can set up a play. if you are standing on platform you also gain another jump so you can still chase him if you want. snake just has to decipher more situations this way and you get more opportunities to trick him. overall just more patient edgeguarding would probably help you get kills.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I finally have some Wario footage to show that I mean business :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaOH...kkKRO6j80a_AjQ133Q1lVl3&feature=share&index=2

Critique is welcome, I was dominating at first but then it became very difficult to approach Anaky's Link, I feel like picking a smaller stage and giving him no room to breathe might be best in the future. He kills vertically though, so I don't know if Yoshi's is a good idea, but then again I can also kill vertically so it could work in my favour.

Turazrok

Smash Master
He kills vertically though, so I don't know if Yoshi's is a good idea, but then again I can also kill vertically so it could work in my favour.
It can be hard to get a good cp when stage lists are blegh. Was metal cavern or distant planet banned for that tournament? Also have you considered PS? Waiting (for instance during the transitions) isn't a bad thing when you have solid waft setups.

Try using dsmash to blow up crouch cancels, he seemed to cc your dtilt nearly every time. Along with walling the **** out of you with zair, which I see no real answer to other than out space him, or maybe crawl in dsmash lol.

@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete ,
Slow your roll bro.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
It can be hard to get a good cp when stage lists are blegh. Was metal cavern or distant planet banned for that tournament? Also have you considered PS? Waiting (for instance during the transitions) isn't a bad thing when you have solid waft setups.

Try using dsmash to blow up crouch cancels, he seemed to cc your dtilt nearly every time. Along with walling the **** out of you with zair, which I see no real answer to other than out space him, or maybe crawl in dsmash lol.

@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete ,
Slow your roll bro.
Thanks for the tips, I need to try to utilize dsmash more but I've used it in some situations where it worked, usually as a frame trap on get ups. I also get very side b happy, I feel like it can be good as a general movement tool or to catch people off guard in the air (this won't work if they expect it and just attack through it usually, but no one expects it yet). The link MU is difficult, I secondary Diddy Kong so if it's too hard as Wario I'll try to learn the MU with him instead.

Fart setups are really useful, but are big stages really good for Wario? Giving someone like Link room to camp and making my approach game much harder than it needs to be doesn't sound like it will work. Also allowing a stage with platforms for Link to hide under might be bad, at least with Yoshi's he wouldn't have so much space to put up a wall of attacks. I think my first stage choice of PS2 was good, Dreamland wasn't though.

From looking at these matches with Anaky, I think picking a stage where I can pressure him and stay ahead without giving him the choice of camping is the best way. I have also started a bad habit of constantly doing side b to the ledge or off stage, half the time it actually works (I get too many kills with it), but only because people aren't used to it, other times I suffer for it. It probably also depends on what the character can do to deal with it.

Metal Cavern is banned but Distant Planet is a CP (I think). Anyway I don't think it's necessary to pick big stages always just because of the fart, you need to actually land attacks that can lead into it first, and you get a good fart every minute so you will always end up having a fart.

Top Bottom