• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Ultimate Changes: The Definitive List

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
There's a ton of misinformation going around regarding Wario changes from Smash 4, and I'm here to set the record straight. I've spent days analyzing Wario's frame and damage changes and gathering info from Wario players who've actually played as him at events. Here's what we discovered:

Jab: Jab 1 has less end lag. The full jab combo connects better. Still a horrendously slow jab combo though.

FTilt: This move is a slap now. Can still be angled, same start up, tiny bit less end lag. Essentially the same move.

UTilt: This move has much less start up (8 frames, down from 12) and much less endlag (27FAF, down from 36. It should be noted that this is even less end lag than Mario's utilt in Smash 4). It now does 6 damage though instead of 10, which may actually help it with combos.

DTilt: This move is basically the same, but with 1 frame less lag.

Dash Attack: Now the shoulder tackle. Starts up 1 frame slower (is 5 frames) than the old dash attack and is slightly laggier. Cannot trip anymore. Does much more damage (11.5) and knockback. Has kill power, but mostly near the ledge. Has many active frames and a strong and weak hit. The strong hit is active for longer than it was in Sm4sh.

FSmash: This move is NOT faster and is NOT less laggy. Still 18 frame start up, still 66 FAF. It IS slightly stronger though, doing 20% at base.

USmash: Same deal as above, right down to the slight damage buff. Now does 17% base. Seems to have much more range as Wario's head grows larger than it did in Smash 4.

DSmash: Basically identical to its Smash 4 counterpart. MIGHT be less laggy, but not enough good footage of it to determine.

Standing Grab: Same start-up, likely more endlag though since grabs in general have nerfed frame data across the board (except for a few special cases).

Dashing Grab: Nerfed from a terrific 8 frames to 10 frames. Again, most characters received similar nerfs.

Pivot Grab: Nerfed from Smash 4 in terms of speed and endlag.

Throws: For some reason, the damage values for the down and up throws have switched. Uthrow is a combo throw at lower percents, Fthrow cannot kill anymore.

Nair: WAY MORE ACTIVE FRAMES. Basically hit 1 is no longer a single frame strike, it has a strong hit that does the full damage for several frames, and a soft hit that does less damage. Nair 1 went from having a single active frame to having FIFTEEN. The move starts up on frame 4, is active until frame 19, then it goes into its second hit that is still good for combos. Landing lag is now 7, down from 12 frames. The range also got buffed a great deal. This move went from being pretty good to incredible.

Fair: Now has 10 frames of landing lag, down from 16.

Bair: Now has 16 frames of landing lag, down from 27. Damage increased from 12 to 12.5.

Uair: Has less knockback, making it easier to combo with. Landing lag is 7, down from 12.

Dair: New animation where he holds his hands out as if he were diving. Landing lag is 18, down from 19. Can consistently combo into the Waft with this on Mid weights characters and below because of the landing lag reduction, is now unaffected by rage.

Neutral B: Now heals .6% per chomp. Reports say this also charges the Waft more quickly. Can heal from ANY projectiles from enemies. Can still heal from eating the Bike. This move can kill near the ledge now, very similar to how fthrow could kill, but is slightly stronger.

Forward B: Now has a 6 second cool down upon losing it. Does slightly more damage at max speed. Bike feels heavier and has physics, will not fly off the stage when you jump off of it when recovering. Bike does not bounce anymore when you toss it, making it harder to pressure people with. Has actual knockback though when you hit someone from throwing it. The ledge bike trick still works, but Wario goes into a tumble when he does it, although you can cancel that tumble with a jump.

Down B: Basically identical from what we've seen.

Up B: Hits connect way more reliably. Have yet to see people fall out of this move.

Final Smash: Now an attack special similar to K. Rool and Ridley. Incredibly high knockback and damage.

Overall: Don't listen to anyone that tries to tell you Wario was nerfed overall. The way the game system works favours him, especially when it comes to edgeguarding, and his aerials have been buffed tremendously, especially his nair. He may still have trouble killing outside the Waft, although the new dash attack and the increased difficulty of recovering my benefit him in the long run. Don't sleep on this character just yet guys!

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
So...he's basically better overall aside from his bike having a respawn time now.

Sounds good to me, particularly having another kill move in dash attack and being able to fish for trips to get kill confirms using his fair.

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
I have seen video evidence that his F-AIR can cause a trip, and have also seen him eat his bike and not be healed by it. Also his waft can also be angled.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I have seen video evidence that his F-AIR can cause a trip, and have also seen him eat his bike and not be healed by it. Also his waft can also be angled.
1) The FAir tripping isn't a change. It could always do that with its weak hit sometimes. It's random and isn't anything new.
2) There is a ton of footage of him healing from his bike in other fights. Either the times he didn't was because it was 2v2, or because of a demo build glitch.
3) The Waft angled thing is... dubious. Ya he drifted to one direction a bit when he used the half waft in that one clip, but that's barely worth noting and hasn't been replicated once in any subsequent event. I wanna see that function in more detail before commenting on it.

Last edited:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
The thing with FAir tripping is that it can trip on a clean hit, even at higher-mid %.

As for FAir always having a trip chance on the late hit, I found no evidence of that.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Weak attacks could always randomly trip in Sm4sh, and the fact that it can sometimes trip in this game isn't new. If you don't believe me, that's fine, but even then, a small chance of tripping on a move doesn't really matter since it's inconsistent.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Weak attacks could always randomly trip in Sm4sh, and the fact that it can sometimes trip in this game isn't new. If you don't believe me, that's fine, but even then, a small chance of tripping on a move doesn't really matter since it's inconsistent.
How about video evidence of BAIR causing a trip?

0:33

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
All I want to know is if we can safely land with FAir on shield and grab the opponents after. I hate not being able to approach.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
All I want to know is if we can safely land with FAir on shield and grab the opponents after. I hate not being able to approach.
Fair is too weak to not be shield grabbable. What you can do now though, is nair into someone's shield and cross them up, and B reverse bite.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Nair is ridiculously oppressive. Wario will never have neutral tools good enough to approach like others can, he's got mad stubby limbs

Last edited:

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
I'm really hoping for the best with him. Seems he's gone from getting ripped on to getting a pretty serious amount of hype. Let's hope it's justified!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I looooooove the new utilt. Chaining it together and following with uairs is sooo satisfying. Finale a True combo Game

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I looooooove the new utilt. Chaining it together and following with uairs is sooo satisfying. Finale a True combo Game
More importantly, it's a ridiculously easy Waft confirm at a percent where landing a waft would be an early kill

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
More importantly, it's a ridiculously easy Waft confirm at a percent where landing a waft would be an early kill
Yeeeeeess!!!

The title of the Thread holds true! I Love the way he feels. His new animations are Great, too. There is so much more „Wario“ in them and less „Ware“.

The Shoulder charge especially is Great, landing the sweetspot is so satisfying!

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
does utilt to waft only connect at low percentages? what other moves combo into waft(and high or low percents)?

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
Just to let y'all know, Wario's grab attacks now heal him. He LITERALLY is eating the other fighters! HE'S A CANNIBAL!!!

C-G

Smash Journeyman
does utilt to waft only connect at low percentages? what other moves combo into waft(and high or low percents)?
Everything that used to work still works, but Utilt is ridiculously reliable because of the way the moves both function. It connects at the 50ish percents area on like everyone.

Just to let y'all know, Wario's grab attacks now heal him. He LITERALLY is eating the other fighters! HE'S A CANNIBAL!!!
Nooooooooooo he's a vampire. I'm not even joking about that

Top Bottom