• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Might not be a bad idea to try using the grounded version of Bite out of a dash sometimes. It has no chance of being spotdodged in that case, though it is vulnerable to a lot of stuff and still does as little for damage and positioning as the regular version.

D

Deleted member

Is there anything good OOS besides Nair? I mean don't get me wrong, Nair is really **** OOS, but then MKS start to space on my shield so I cant do it. Is there any other option?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Everything is slow and has poor range (bar bair). You'll need to learn how to try and make use of your frame advantage in a less upfront way than trying to punish. Think in terms of zoning, conditioning and getting a positional advantage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I believe it has super armor on Frame 8 and not a lot of range. Since no one else releases as badly as Ness/Lucas, you'd have to use it as a super armor counter, which would work in select positions (maybe to go through Olimar's U-Smash on grab-release, as it outspeeds his Frame-11 grab). Requires a hard read, but it does 20% by itself, so it's probably worth looking into if a reasonably frame-neutral position can be forced. That's why D-Throw -> F-Smash works sometimes--People often want to punish you when you have slight frame advantage.

pikaknight

Smash Cadet
I believe it has super armor on Frame 8 and not a lot of range. Since no one else releases as badly as Ness/Lucas, you'd have to use it as a super armor counter, which would work in select positions (maybe to go through Olimar's U-Smash on grab-release, as it outspeeds his Frame-11 grab). Requires a hard read, but it does 20% by itself, so it's probably worth looking into if a reasonably frame-neutral position can be forced. That's why D-Throw -> F-Smash works sometimes--People often want to punish you when you have slight frame advantage.
thanks

Lord Chair

Smash Master
We didn't get to discuss anything in the first wave and now somehow we don't get the chance to discuss more than three matchups even though we planned to do like, six. I don't really mind, the project was rather tiresome and it's been taking longer than it really had to.

xzx

Smash Lord
Oh. But is it going to be finished or what? Because I want Wario's MUs to be updated and all that.

Thanks for answering.

xzx

Smash Lord
Yeah, but as long as your discussions are going to get finished, I'm happy. I just want the MUs to be updated, even if it isn't major changes. Good luck!

pikaknight

Smash Cadet
Question referring to Wario's "platform game". obviously wario can shielddrop and platform cancel on places like smashville and yoshis island and PS1. but why cant he do it on battlefield; The first time i tried shielddropping on battlefield i noticed that you just go through the platform even if timed right:( am i doing something wrong? (this is in general, most characters can do it on smashville exc. but why not battlefield?)

Plataea

Smash Rookie
I am having a problem with getting grabbed out of the air. Wario has short reach on most of his aerials, and most characters can grab you even when you're in the air. For these reasons (and because of low shieldstun, I suppose), I find I get grabbed even when I zoom in and out with his aerials. What do you do about this?

Labernash

Smash Lord
If you ever know you're about to get grabbed, just don't move any closer to them and move away in that instance. Also, save your double jump incase you get in a position where you may get grabbed and double jump and airdodge.

Stop moving closer as soon as an aerial MIGHT hit. I used to keep moving forward until I hit something, be it the opponents shield or nothing and landed inside him. I started moving backwards as soon as the hitbox of your aerial can touch them and move back, even if you don't hit them or they shield it.

You can't get grabbed if you are near the opponent. Wario never wants to be grabbed. Ever. So keep that in mind!

xzx

Smash Lord
If Wario gets grabbed a lot, it means that Wario approaches at the wrong times and too often. Such behaviour is very predictable and easily punished. Get slippery! WwW

xzx

Smash Lord
I find Dair pretty useful against Olimar...

I have never actually understood the Diddy Kong MU. I mean, in theory it sounds easy but in practice everything gets much harder. Can anyone explain to me how to play the MU? Campy or aggro? I usually blend the styles, but I want to know what you think.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've gotten Zinoto and Player-1 to shift their idea of the matchup to +1 Wario, and what I do seems to work pretty consistently.

NEVER come anywhere near him when he is in control of two bananas. If you think you can snatch one without getting caught, do so, but you better be pretty confident about that. You can use a banana to deal with his defensive options, his recovery, and his Forward-B, but otherwise, I'd recommend throwing it up or simply holding onto it in order to prevent him from doing stuff with it. Just throwing it at him should get it instant thrown back or caught with a F-Air, which is very troublesome. His setups are way more powerful with two bananas than with one.

It's a whole lot of bait-and-punish. You get your stray B-Air and N-Air hits here and there, mostly after he whiffs a F-Air, Forward-B, etc. Keep an eye out for the kinds of things they like to default to in a panic position (say you hit him with a sourspot N-Air and you're right next to him now) and try to catch them later with bananas, DACUS, a hard-read aerial/F-Smash, etc. Diddy can seem like an impenetrable wall when he's in the right position, but when you find the hits you need, you can do a lot to him.

Also, keep in mind that if you have any space to set up a "real" edgeguard, Diddy should definitely be taking a ton of damage, either through aerial pokes or Waft (especially Waft). Look for the inevitable Forward-B, and if it doesn't come, feel free to catch that Up-B with little trouble. That's part of why stalling for time is so powerful in this matchup, full Waft is still very good to have and relatively easy to land in an edgeguard position.

You should be able to find relatively recent matches between myself and Player-1 on YouTube.

hough123

Smash Ace
I've noticed that the link to the data in this thread regarding the dthrow chaingrab is broken. Is the data available anywhere else?

hough123

Smash Ace
Thank you. I guess I'll search a little harder next time as that was pretty recent.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Gluttony is like the Rain of Europe. They make him look like a god until they come over here and he gets majorly outperformed.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Kinda worked out that way every time. Every Apex, people look at Rain dominating Japan and think he will take home the gold in USA, but someone else from Japan winds up shining brighter.

It was the same for Gluttony at SKTAR, but Leon and Mr. R did alot better.

Although, I guess part of it is Wario not being as good as people thought...

xzx

Smash Lord
Wario is overrated. I mean, he's good, but not "very great". There are better characters than him but worse characters than him too. Wario also has his fair amount of weaknesses, and his pros makes (kinda) up for it. Wario has poor range (con) but his great aerial mobility (pro) makes up for it in a way. Wario is an overrated finisher too.

All in all, I'm glad Wario is High tier. He's an "above average" character. (I'm not a Wario emo, I'm just realistic.)

LOE1

Smash Lord
OMG WTF WARIO ISNT TOP TIER WTF IS GOING ON I QUIT BRAWL OMGGGGGG

:wario:

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Hey guys, is it possible to do the bike jump with the Classic controller? My Gamecube controller's pretty much busted so I've been using Classic instead. I can't seem to get the bike jump to work with it! It's pretty aggravating to not be able to use it.

Top Bottom