• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario is such an underrated tactician/technical fighter.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I've used Wario against the some really good Mario, Sheik, Falco, Fox crowds and I have to say that Wario can play the technical game as sound as anybody.

His f-air really can neutralize Mario's forward b-air, Sheik's f-air, Fox's n-air, Falco's f-air. It's so subtle and soft but it really stops people's momentum. The way it stuns them, they don't know how to react out of it. It's hard to use as an offensive move because of their speed, but because of Wario's DI capabilities he can hold the foot up in the air just long enough to stun or stop them.

D-tilt can be done so quick that even if they shield once they get out of shield they think they have enough time to grab or counter and you keep poking them. U-tilt, I actually neutralized a Ganon d-air with perfect time. It was hilarious and I did get knocked down but those fingers and big hands....

Once you learn the meta game of Wario's bike, you literally can move around the stage just as fast as Sheik or Fox.

His biggest weapon is the chomp. It's a grab, a counter, a neutralizer to dash attacks, etc. It's hilarious how much people roll right into my chomp.

I've been maining Wario since this game came out, and I thought I'd peaked with his moves in Feb-March but I continue to reinvent and find new tactics.

The beauty of his game is he takes damage like a heavyweight, moves through the air with so much DI like Jiggly, and then he has that beautiful Waft.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I happened to catch you on the DK thread you posted, it's crazy, I've happened to have an extremely similar experience with Wario. For the longest time I've been really lacking in overall neutral games, I know how people would react to situations, I just didn't know how to capitalize on it without leaving myself open, to the point where I wouldn't attack at all.

So I picked up wario, for the longest time I thought he was terrible, but as time went on I adjusted, and he honest to god taught me how to swiftly poke, at just the right time, and in the right way, in order to not be punished or predicted. This translated to most of my other characters pretty nicely, it was one hell of a rewarding experience.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
So very true. And his Bike... oh my god, it has so many uses! You have the normal driving, and turning around deals tons of shield damage. You can do the wheelie-smash that has great knockback. You jump off and send if forward like a projectile. It protects you. It's an AMAZING recovery tool. You can pick it up and throw it for amazing damage and cover lots of space and options. You can eat the bike and the bike parts to restore small bits of % and charge the Waft. It's incredible.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I absolutely love Chomp. It's so good when your opponent's laying on the ground, great with B reverse, a nice move when used with empty jump on a shielding opponent, you can eat projectiles(including some energy based ones like Mega Man's Fsmash), and you can even Wariocide people if you want.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Wario is a fun character in general. Chomp is a good command grab and can be B reversed. Bike has a ludicrous amount of uses, as listed above. Corkscrew is an underrated move when it comes to OOS and U-Throw to Corkscrew is not guaranteed, but likely to hit at low percentages. Waft has so many ways to use. It can be used for recovery, for a desperate last atttempt to win if you are losing. The bike can extend the hitbox as well. Nair is the most underrated move in smash 4. Fair is great for the hit and run archetype that Wario posses. He make his opponents panic with U-Air. Dair can cover ledge options. D-Smash is also very underrated as well as Dash attack (That Sourspot though). He's such a strong character. And, if you want to be real, he technically has a projectile in Bike when jumped off. It's just not as spam able as Mario's Fireball, for example.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
All Wario needs is one or two decent buffs to jump into top 15. I do think he's slightly underrated currently. If only dair autocancelled, or bair killed earlier, or his killthrow was stronger, or he had just one smash attack that wasn't super laggy. I'd go nuts if any of those happened in a future patch. I think his lack of range is enough of a weakness, they should let him have a good kill option outside of waft.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
All Wario needs is one or two decent buffs to jump into top 15. I do think he's slightly underrated currently. If only dair autocancelled, or bair killed earlier, or his killthrow was stronger, or he had just one smash attack that wasn't super laggy. I'd go nuts if any of those happened in a future patch. I think his lack of range is enough of a weakness, they should let him have a good kill option outside of waft.
I would buff Bair and increase his ground mobility.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I absolutely love Chomp. It's so good when your opponent's laying on the ground, great with B reverse, a nice move when used with empty jump on a shielding opponent, you can eat projectiles(including some energy based ones like Mega Man's Fsmash), and you can even Wariocide people if you want.
Chomp has absolutely spoiled me with how good that move is. Being able to grab shields on platforms is so damn useful.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Wario is a great character that people just don't understand sometimes. People sometimes turn away from him because he doesn't have an easy combo throw. Not every character combos a lot out of their throws. Wario has a kit that is good enough to not need a super reliable throw. But it would be a good touch!

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
:4wario: is one of my most played character in Smash 4, he is so amusing to play with, mainly because of his moves and emotions.
I played him a lot in For Fun mode and with friends, but my trials with him in For Glory are quiet recent as I did some experiences only since a few months.

The first thing that comes when you play Wario is that he has good stats (good offense, defense, speed and recovery), but some of his moves don't deals a lot of damage, especially if you don't land them cleanely, nevertheless his Dash Attack and his Forward Air can give some variants in combos. Smash attacks are hard to land and are laggy, but I think that Down Smash is a good move, especially to edgeguard and after a ledge trump, but never use it against a shield.

Wario can play in several ways, as Hit & Run but also as Bait & Punish, I think he is really good against RushDown characters, especially :4fox:, :4falcon:, :4sonic:. Sometimes it's incredible to see that many people goes to your Chomp thinking they can grab you or land an aerial attack.

I think that what makes Wario a technical character is that he relies a lot on mindgames, maybe his down throw can't really combos, but you can actually use a Dash Attack or even the Bike, it will depends if your opponent lands or the way he techs. If he is jumping and going away it becomes more complicated, but if he wants to attack you immediatly, you can go for a Back Air, Wario is all about manipulation !

Now, I'm probably not that good with Wario (I have a win rate that turns around 65% with him in 1-On-1), and I don't really play him defensively, except when I see somebody recovering quite high. I generally like to put pressure with Bike and link up with a Chomp once my opponent is on the ground and rolls back to the stage in panic.
I fear some characters as :4mario:, :4marth: or :4zss:, :4villager:, sometimes I'm forced to spam forward air and fast-fall repeatedly to force them to have another strategy.

I agree with this thread entirely. I have recently been training my Wario just to kill Sheiks and ZSSs and so far I've found out that if you use the bike to space, Wario has an easy time pressuring them into panicing.

One thing that I've noticed is that Wario has more rep in Europe than in the States,not sure if that's true or just me?

Top Bottom