• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Is Designed For American Players

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
He is. Think about it. His whole deal is fart humor and fat jokes, both of which America loves. and he's also a biker. Once again, America-oriented. Also, think of all his games. Fart humor, fat jokes, and everything else America loves. He's a novelty character that fits the American bill perfectly.

Thoughts?

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
By "America", I bet you mean "U.S.A. fatties" and not "America, the continent".

Ooooooh look, G is prejudiced against "Americans"! :chuckle:

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
Wario wasn't all fart jokes originally, Wario Land were good titles I wished they'd make more.
He didn't have a bike originally either, should of had the pimp car instead from Wario Land 4 :laugh:

Final Smash should of been turning the screen into Virtual Boy and hurting your eyes.

Besides Wario isn't fat, he's got a 6-pack.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
And he still isn't. He's a little more silly, but Wario has always been silly. Remember him being on fire? Squished? Zombified? :laugh:
Yeah man that's what I meant. I miss Wario Land they should definitely make one for the DS (I'm not counting Master of Disguise because it's pretty different, or at least from what I've hear I haven't played it myself)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Yeah man that's what I meant. I miss Wario Land they should definitely make one for the DS (I'm not counting Master of Disguise because it's pretty different, or at least from what I've hear I haven't played it myself)
Didn't play it either but I will, and from what I've heard Wario can still tackle stuff. Good enough for me.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
By "America", I bet you mean "U.S.A. fatties" and not "America, the continent".

Ooooooh look, G is prejudiced against "Americans"! :chuckle:
I didn't get why fatties(even if most morbidly obese people are from USA) but I agree that the term "american" is misused, as I am "American"(there is no country called America, but there is a continent) but I'm not from the USA, and America is a LOT more than just the US.

3D King

Smash Journeyman
I didn't get why fatties(even if most morbidly obese people are from USA) but I agree that the term "american" is misused, as I am "American"(there is no country called America, but there is a continent) but I'm not from the USA, and America is a LOT more than just the US.
Well U.S. doesn't really have a name for its citizens otherwise. United Statesian?

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that Warioware at least is distinctly Japanese. I mean, the idea to base a game around 10 seconds of figuring out what the hell you are supposed to be doing before everyone else again and again and again...

I haven't played any other Wario games besides the first one played as him in Mario Land 3, or Wario Land or whatever. While he might be fat, drives a rather uneconomical looking bike and tend to have an obsession with greed, coins and real estate... I don't think he is supposed to appeal to Americans or even seem to represent them as some sort of euphemism compared to his more Japanese (or Italian?) red plumber counterpart. Thats looking way too much into it. I think they just took the Marios evil twin approach and warped him into something wacky with Warioware, simple as that.

If he drove an SUV instead, you might be on to something.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Yeah, Japan really hates toilet humor. I'll believe that without looking it up, no doubt!

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I have it. Pretty good IMO, but the controls are a bit wonky.

ThePlantiff

Smash Cadet
I think Mario is represented as a pure hero (noble, unselfish, humble, pure, clean, heroic, fights fair) and Wario is supposed to be the contrary, the anti-hero (greedy, prideful, selfish, rich, dirty, doesn't fight fair, fat) which are all apparently stereotypes of people from the United States. (I'm mexican :p)

Since he is supposed to be the opposite to Mario, he also represents that in his moveset. Mario fights with basic punches and kicks, with the ocasional Cape and F.L.U.D.D.. Wario fights mostly by spinning, using his body, his bike and other unorthodox manuvers.

Warioware could also be seen as the opposite of Mario Party, in which Wario appears. Mario Parties are usually organized, slow, and the games have a bit of depth. Wario ware is frentic, fast, and the games are random and have very little depth.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
I think Mario is represented as a pure hero (noble, unselfish, humble, pure, clean, heroic, fights fair) and Wario is supposed to be the contrary, the anti-hero (greedy, prideful, selfish, rich, dirty, doesn't fight fair, fat) which are all apparently stereotypes of people from the United States. (I'm mexican :p)

Since he is supposed to be the opposite to Mario, he also represents that in his moveset. Mario fights with basic punches and kicks, with the ocasional Cape and F.L.U.D.D.. Wario fights mostly by spinning, using his body, his bike and other unorthodox manuvers.

Warioware could also be seen as the opposite of Mario Party, in which Wario appears. Mario Parties are usually organized, slow, and the games have a bit of depth. Wario ware is frentic, fast, and the games are random and have very little depth.
Are you insulting the people of the U.S.? I could say some pretty mean things about mexicans but i won't cuz I don't wanna make mexicans cry and cuz i don't wanna get banned. Besides, only some people in the U.S. are greedy, prideful, selfish, rich, dirty, don't fight fair, and are fat. I could find more people that fit that description in mexico.

:smoke:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Are you insulting the people of the U.S.? I could say some pretty mean things about mexicans but i won't cuz I don't wanna make mexicans cry and cuz i don't wanna get banned. Besides, only some people in the U.S. are greedy, prideful, selfish, rich, dirty, don't fight fair, and are fat. I could find more people that fit that description in mexico.

:smoke:
ThePlantiff said himself these were *stereotypes*, so calm down.

ThePlantiff

Smash Cadet
Yeah I didn't mean to insult people from the U.S(99.9% of the board), I just meant that those are some stereotypes that people from around the world put the typical U.S.A businessman, I mean as many think the japanese businessman are hard-working, honorable, traditional. But a lot of Koreans view them as the bad guys. Well, you can find people like that in Mexico.(tip politicians) As you can in Spain, and India.

CasshernDGZ

Smash Journeyman
The creation of Wario has nothing to do with the U.S.A. In fact Warioware is extremely popular in japan. He's just supposed to be bizarro mario, hence the W. But I think you know that already. >_>

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I think this is pretty much a case of seeing what you want to see.

Every aspect of Wario's character is meat to reflect the polar opposite of Mario's character and personality. That's all.

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
No, his original character design was ridiculously quirky, in a ridiculously Japanese way. He was designed for a Japanese audience, of that I'm sure.

Although he mightn't seem that different in Brawl, he has been "Americanised" in some way or other. Don't ask me how, but he's suddenly the Peter Griffin of Nintendo.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
No, his original character design was ridiculously quirky, in a ridiculously Japanese way. He was designed for a Japanese audience, of that I'm sure.

Although he mightn't seem that different in Brawl, he has been "Americanised" in some way or other. Don't ask me how, but he's suddenly the Peter Griffin of Nintendo.
I really don't see it.

The version represented here is pretty much exactly how he is in the "Wario Ware" (or "Made in Wario" series in Japan); fat, loud, eccentric, gross, a bit insane. It draws some from the more "classic" Wario style like "Wario Land", but not as much.

Again... I think this is one of those things where if you look too hard for something, eventually you start seeing it whether it's there or not.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman

Wow he's fat so now he's just like Peter Griffin, clearly.

He's the bizzaro Mario, he always has been. He doesn't look different in Brawl at all compared to his WarioWare and Wario Land appearances.

But yeah this topic is getting old, he is just the complete opposite of Mario. You can till American slanted characters just look at Guile in Street Fighter or Terry in King of Fighters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I'm sure Japanese people don't think farts are funny at all. That's only in America.
Haha, oh the images we Americans must have in other countries....

Oh well, thankfully, I am not a "stereotypical, Wario-esque" United-Statesian, and am do not ride motorcycles or have a weight problem.

I feel for those of you who fit the wario description however.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Well at first we all knew Wario was about money, power and respect(??)....now he's farting and moves hella weird lol....I still love him.....at least he's not in the shadows like a certain plumber.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
It's not specifically "American" but you don't think there are scrubs who enjoy that dirty humour out there in the east? Or anywhere else?? Look at Canada!

IMHO The US government is screwed and too much corperation has morphed much of it's population into abominations (fat, disrespectful, mindless, mislead). I vastly perfer eastern culters, and one day hope to leave the pit I'm in (lolz Canada), which is heading in the same direction as the US as a whole.

It is for this reason that I do love Wario though. It's ubsurd that someone could be THAT outrageously disrespectful/discusting, and it's so over the top it's funny.

Too bad there actually ARE people like that. No jokes. I work at EB. I can't describe the scum that i see, nor to I care to.

/rant.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Wario is fat, gross, and likes unhealthy food. Sounds like the avarage American to me.

Top Bottom