• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Combos

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
I've played Wario for quite some time now, and I never learned any combos to punish rushes. Just wondering if any of you guys could tell me some tips for punishing, since my playstyle is defensive. I get punished easily for missing damage opportunities.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean specifically by rushes? Like them just coming at you?

Anime

Smash Journeyman
You should only really shoulder to finish a combo, tech chase, or some platform shenanigans. For an aggressive opponent Wario has no one true response that will cover everything, but he has a lot of different options. I'll list out the ways Wario can intercept someone, and some combos from the different options, depending on the weight and fall speed of the opponent, but really you're going to have to discover them for yourself. I won't list the things not specific to Wario, like shield grabbing.

1. Movement and aerial drift: Wario has the best aerial acceleration in he game. You really want to dash dance until they commit to an option and then jump out of the way, then drift back and punish. Granted you can't do this entirely off of reaction, you still have to predict what they are going to do.

2. D-tilt: This move is amazing for keeping someone honest. It's comes out and ends quick, as well as being a decent poke. Character depending, it can lead to more d-tilits, shfflc nair/ fair, f-smash, grab.

3. D-smash: Kind of tricky to land in neutral, but threatening with it's large range along the ground keeps people honest. Landing it leads to a tech chase situation, so it can lead to more d-smash, side-b, jab resets, or really whatever you like from a tech chase. Keep in mind if they are too close they can tech in place and be able to act before you recover form the end lag of the move :(

4. F-tilt: This is beautiful to bring out randomly around the third stock. It can be angled up to cover anti-air, and while it can't be combo'd out of it can out right kill at mid to high percents, situation depending.

5. Up tilt- An under appreciated gem, this move can protect you well when under a platform from an approaching opponent, and is a spacies magnet for some reason. Against fast fallers it can lead to upsmash, grab, up-air, or fart.

For general combo stuff, Wario has a lot of freedom for combos. Find what you like. Shfflc nair forever. Sour spot up-air into bite. Bite into DACUS. DACUS into up-air. Against floaties with little DI d-tilit into fart is fun.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
You should only really shoulder to finish a combo, tech chase, or some platform shenanigans. For an aggressive opponent Wario has no one true response that will cover everything, but he has a lot of different options. I'll list out the ways Wario can intercept someone, and some combos from the different options, depending on the weight and fall speed of the opponent, but really you're going to have to discover them for yourself. I won't list the things not specific to Wario, like shield grabbing.

1. Movement and aerial drift: Wario has the best aerial acceleration in he game. You really want to dash dance until they commit to an option and then jump out of the way, then drift back and punish. Granted you can't do this entirely off of reaction, you still have to predict what they are going to do.

2. D-tilt: This move is amazing for keeping someone honest. It's comes out and ends quick, as well as being a decent poke. Character depending, it can lead to more d-tilits, shfflc nair/ fair, f-smash, grab.

3. D-smash: Kind of tricky to land in neutral, but threatening with it's large range along the ground keeps people honest. Landing it leads to a tech chase situation, so it can lead to more d-smash, side-b, jab resets, or really whatever you like from a tech chase. Keep in mind if they are too close they can tech in place and be able to act before you recover form the end lag of the move :(

4. F-tilt: This is beautiful to bring out randomly around the third stock. It can be angled up to cover anti-air, and while it can't be combo'd out of it can out right kill at mid to high percents, situation depending.

5. Up tilt- An under appreciated gem, this move can protect you well when under a platform from an approaching opponent, and is a spacies magnet for some reason. Against fast fallers it can lead to upsmash, grab, up-air, or fart.

For general combo stuff, Wario has a lot of freedom for combos. Find what you like. Shfflc nair forever. Sour spot up-air into bite. Bite into DACUS. DACUS into up-air. Against floaties with little DI d-tilit into fart is fun.
Thanks for the tips, I never noticed that F-Tilt killed at mid percents, lol.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
It's sneaky, and it's better at higher percents, but if you catch them near the edge on a small stage it'll kill. It does more damage angled up too.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman

Can you explain how to DACUS please ?

Anime

Smash Journeyman
A DACUS is a dash attack canceled up smash. At the beginning of almost every characters dash attack you can cancel it into an upsmash. The way I do it is 1. Start the dash 2. Flick down on the c-stick 3. Flick up on the control stick. 4. Hit z, or anything mapped to attack or grab.
Do all of that in one motion quickly, and you should DACUS.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If an aggressive player is forcing you into your shield a lot, nair oos gets them nearly every time. Unless they have a sword or lightning fast shield pressure, you could get real sloppy with your spacing and still be able to reach them with nair oos.

NTheOneAndOnly

Smash Rookie
so ive been playing wario for almost a year now exclusively and i feel like there are some options a lot of warios miss a huge amount of that is the free movement side be is so say in this diagram you are the X
-------- ___ ----------- Battle Field
---- _X_---- ___ -----------<===
--- __________------------

I now side b off the platform
---------___----------------Battle Field
----___-----___----------<===
--______X_____

THAT AUTO CANCELS
that is inovative for his kit if you auto cancel side b =>jab =>grab=>up throw=>up air thats an easy 40 %
also
---------___--------------------------------------___
----___----- ___ --------===>---------___------_X_
-- _____X_____------- (side B)----___________

also auto cancels
so get this if you get a tech chase opportunity and miss side b go for down smash works almost everytime
also
---------_X_------------------------------------__
--- ___-----___--------===>---------___-----___ --- X
---__________-------(side B)----___________

the side b will end here if you dont jump and it gives you hecka mobility in the air That is FREE MOBILITY you wasted nothing there to get to that point faster for an gimping....

Anyways i hope you all have realized that warios side B Is way more broken than you could even imagine

Yours truly,
SCC| N :warioc::warioc::warioc:

Last edited:

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Great options, except if they expect it, which a lot of players will if they see you jump on a platform. So the true meta breaker is to auto cancel the side-b into another side-b, which you can di four times in a row on Delfinos

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
One of the guys I play with is a really heavy spot dodger, so I constantly catch him with the down smash and follow up with an u-throw > uair.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
So not sure if anybody in this thread has talked about weak hit uair, but we really need to talk about weak hit uair. This is honestly one of Wario's greatest tools that is incredibly under utilized. Not only does it set up for kills at unreasonably high percents, but it sets up for fart at mid percent, is amazing for catching recoveries (I swear his hands are invincible, correct me if i'm wrong) like fox and falco side b, ike QD, basically any horizontal recovery move, AND its easily his best coming up from the ledge move. We had a wario player near me named Blake who swore it was just a ridiculously good option in so many scenarios, and i'm really starting to believe him. Take a look at the hitbox, its the one that starts when wario's hands are stretched out to his sides before the clap. Its pretty damn big. All y'all should try adding this into your gameplan somewhere, because this **** is crazy good.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say easily his best ledge option, but yeah, it's a damn good move. Soft up-air to footstool is a favorite of mine.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
I can never land footstools unless it's on accident >_<
Don't spam the button. Every missed footstool gives you a punishment window that doesn't let you footstool. A lot of characters have a percentage where certain combos work. So for mid percents against Roy soft up air to footstool is a thing, but for Metaknight, you want forward air to footstool.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
Don't spam the button. Every missed footstool gives you a punishment window that doesn't let you footstool. A lot of characters have a percentage where certain combos work. So for mid percents against Roy soft up air to footstool is a thing, but for Metaknight, you want forward air to footstool.
Ok. I don't play any Roy or MK players, but I'll keep that in mind, too.

Top Bottom