• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario and the practical use of jab locking.

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
Jab locking can be a essential tool for many characters to set up into kill moves. The only moves wario has to jab lock is f-air and sour dash attack. Both of these moves aren't the easiest to use in a jab lock f-air knocks back quite far at mid to higher percents making it hard to follow up into another fair or well spaced sour dash.

So I guess my question is has anyone here found a practical and effective way to jab lock with wario into things like side tilts or even side smashes?

Edit: heres a video for those that may not know about jab locking and how it works
https://youtu.be/_ZJx5F0kTms

Last edited:

Magik0722

Smash Champion
A few times ive gotten to combo of Fair ->failed tech, second fair -> Bite. Its uncommon but I do get it every so often.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
His easiest jab lock set-up is speeding bike to footstool to late hit fair at low to mid percents, since it's the only one that doesn't rely on failed techs and is a proper combo.

Though it doesn't build much percent, it does get you a free f-smash or Wario Waft; the latter of which can be lethal if they end up near the ledge.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Battlefield and Smashville platforms can help with Fair locks as well.

The late hitbox of Dash Attack (the trip) also locks at any percent when the trip happens. Once they are forced to get up, it's a free Waft or smash attack.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
It sucks Dtilt doesn't jab lock, it was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Let me post a list of Wario's moves that jab lock. These percentage ranges are when jab locking Metaknight, who has pretty much the same weight as Fox. In other words, a lightweight character.

Ftilt (no angle) 0-4%
Ftilt (angle low) 0-7%
Fair (strong 7% hit) 0-11%
Fair (late 4% hit) 0-71%
Bair 0-8%
Dash attack (late 4% hit) 0-150+% Note: sends target behind you.
Side B (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 2 (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 3 (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 3 (runover target) 0-150+%

While the list is fairly long, it's not much to work with besides late Fair and late dash attack. One locking move from the air, and another from the ground. Throwing your bike at a target may seem enticing, but you have to pre-emptively leave your bike lying on the ground for you to pick up. Then again, I don't play Wario, so you guys will have to tell me what the best options are. If you've got question about jab locking be sure to read up on my thread about the subject. But this place is good for talking about how Wario should specifically use his tools for putting opponents into a situation where they must tech. I really like the idea the idea of running somebody over with the Speeding Bike and dismounting into a footstool > fast fall fair lock. I'd really like to see that someday. Maybe you could link a landing Bair into late dash attack. Or Dthrow somebody onto a platform above you. Giving your opponent the smallest window of opportunity to tech is always ideal for these setups.

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
Let me post a list of Wario's moves that jab lock. These percentage ranges are when jab locking Metaknight, who has pretty much the same weight as Fox. In other words, a lightweight character.

Ftilt (no angle) 0-4%
Ftilt (angle low) 0-7%
Fair (strong 7% hit) 0-11%
Fair (late 4% hit) 0-71%
Bair 0-8%
Dash attack (late 4% hit) 0-150+% Note: sends target behind you.
Side B (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 2 (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 3 (thrown bike as object) 0-150+%
Side B 3 (runover target) 0-150+%

While the list is fairly long, it's not much to work with besides late Fair and late dash attack. One locking move from the air, and another from the ground. Throwing your bike at a target may seem enticing, but you have to pre-emptively leave your bike lying on the ground for you to pick up. Then again, I don't play Wario, so you guys will have to tell me what the best options are. If you've got question about jab locking be sure to read up on my thread about the subject. But this place is good for talking about how Wario should specifically use his tools for putting opponents into a situation where they must tech. I really like the idea the idea of running somebody over with the Speeding Bike and dismounting into a footstool > fast fall fair lock. I'd really like to see that someday. Maybe you could link a landing Bair into late dash attack. Or Dthrow somebody onto a platform above you. Giving your opponent the smallest window of opportunity to tech is always ideal for these setups.
Just a note that late dash attack doesnt knock every enemy behind you it is determined by weight.

Also in another there was the fact that speed bike has a glitch to turn in around, while playing with it I've noticed that depending on the speed you do it at you can control it to the point of knowing where you can grab it, this could be useful in knocking characters into missed tech and throwing the bike yo cause a lock. Obviously that needs more testing and is just a theory.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Just a note that late dash attack doesnt knock every enemy behind you it is determined by weight.

Also in another there was the fact that speed bike has a glitch to turn in around, while playing with it I've noticed that depending on the speed you do it at you can control it to the point of knowing where you can grab it, this could be useful in knocking characters into missed tech and throwing the bike yo cause a lock. Obviously that needs more testing and is just a theory.
When turning the bike around with the glitch it loses its hitbox.

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
When turning the bike around with the glitch it loses its hitbox.

But it still has a hot box before it turns and can be used on the edge facing in to clear room turn the bike and watch it slide back to a easy spot to grab it and throw it. Sure it doesn't have as much health but it is feasible to use it to kab lock in certain situations.

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Jab locking can be a essential tool for many characters to set up into kill moves. The only moves wario has to jab lock is f-air and sour dash attack. Both of these moves aren't the easiest to use in a jab lock f-air knocks back quite far at mid to higher percents making it hard to follow up into another fair or well spaced sour dash.

So I guess my question is has anyone here found a practical and effective way to jab lock with wario into things like side tilts or even side smashes?

Edit: heres a video for those that may not know about jab locking and how it works
https://youtu.be/_ZJx5F0kTms
wario weak bair also jab locks, not as practical but just dropping the knowledge

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Do you mean B-Air at low percents? There is no sourspot on B-Air.
that may have been it... I just so happen to do it twice while playing a friend and thought it was a weak hit. situation was: chomp ganondorf at 0, gets out at 11% i went for a raw bair (ganon misses the tech) i fast fall bair instead of rising bair hitting ganon on the ground giving me the jab lock.

Top Bottom