• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario 3.6 (beta) Changelog

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Here's the official changelog entry for Wario. Overall got some consistency tweaks, perhaps a buff with B-air hitbox and rolls? Too soon to tell. Oh, and of course, WARIO MAN!!!

What do you think about Wario being nearly unchanged? I, for one, am ecstatic, but not surprised really. I feel it's mostly new players who ***** about side-b, and, although Waft is strong, I still think it's fine as is, but people complain about it a lot too. Until we see Wario taking GFs a lot, I don't think anything major is changing.

Wa-wa-wa!!!!

Smashes
-Down Smash
--Damage changed from 16/14/12 (Inner/Mid/Outer) to 14/12/10.

Aerials
-Back Aerial
--Increased the size of the outer hitbox to better match the animation.

Specials
-Up Special (Corkscrew)
--Initial hit's back side WDSK 140/140 -> 100/100.

-Down Special (Waft)
--Fully charged regular hit -1 damage, KBG uncompensated.
--Fully charged Upwards hit -2 damage, KBG uncompensated.

Other
-Waft no longer charges while on the respawn platform.
-Roll duration decreased from 37 to 31 frames
-Roll intangibility has -2 duration (4-21 to 4-19)
-Wario Man reworked for a more enjoyable experience :-)

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
I wasn't expecting much to change, and I'm really pleased that I don't have to relearn everything again. I hope the Corkscrew change addresses the janky effect where it throws the opponent halfway across the county, but it'll take more playing/testing to find out. I'd kind of hoped for an angle change on NAir, I still feel it's far too potent of an edgeguarding tool as-is, but whatever I guess. Not a fan of the new roll animation, I hope that's something they're still cleaning up. The warp at the end looks unfinished.

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
Wario is essentially perfect.

His new roll and spot dodge speed make them reasonable to use now instead of a "oops, didn't mean to roll, hit me please" option.

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
I agree with Crulex. What was fixed about his recovery, by the way?
The weight dependent knockback of the initial hit from the backside (wario facing away from opponent) was reduced. I'm fairly certain this is just a 'skill' change, where they don't want the back of Corkscrew being as strong as the front on startup (for whatever reason), but after testing it, it's not even really a big change tbh. It's basically the same.

It may also be there to prevent clipping and not catching the opponent in the corkscrew. Idk.

Last edited:

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
His new roll and spot dodge speed make them reasonable to use now instead of a "oops, didn't mean to roll, hit me please" option.
I haven't really tested it too extensively (only gotten to play 3.6b for about 30 mins this morning) but they didn't mention changing the spot dodge in the changelog.

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
I haven't really tested it too extensively (only gotten to play 3.6b for about 30 mins this morning) but they didn't mention changing the spot dodge in the changelog.
You're right, it was just the roll. I think when used in conjunction when I was playing it seemed faster, so that was my bad.

On another note, I really hope this is the end of the changes for Wario. He feels perfect. I feel like all the tools are useful, most matchups aren't heavily against him, and if I flub I do feel like it was my fault for not choosing better positioning/options.

It's relatively fair for most of the cast when facing Wario as well, considering that everything can be avoided and countered outside of getting grabbed. Like all characters, grabs lead to combos. If you're at 80% or higher, a bite > shoulder bash or waft should be pretty lethal or kill you on most stages. Nothing feels unfair.

Last edited:

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
I have a feeling that any changes that people are suggesting for wario now are fairly knee jerk or salt based suggestions. I've seen my fair share of bite salt on forums recently when wario is brought up, but I doubt anything will come of it. Wario seems to be in a really good spot now, and the roll change was a really smart way to improve his poorer matchups (making it easier to escape pressure)

The next question is if Wario Man is better than fox (probably not):wario:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wario's spotdodge remains unchanged. Only his rolls were changed.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that any changes that people are suggesting for wario now are fairly knee jerk or salt based suggestions. I've seen my fair share of bite salt on forums recently when wario is brought up, but I doubt anything will come of it. Wario seems to be in a really good spot now, and the roll change was a really smart way to improve his poorer matchups (making it easier to escape pressure)
Some of them are little salty, but there are some people making points that actually make sense concerning some of wario's more questionable attributes. When you see someone say things like, "this character is stupid." "why can he do this stuff?" or "ban this busted phack!" then yeah, ignore that nonsense, but when someone is like, "I think x move is or could be overpowered, here are my reasons why." then you should probably give them a chance, and try to see where they're coming from. I've noticed that a lot of people have hella tunnel vision when it concerns their character, they praise buffs no matter how ridiculous, despise any kind of nerfs even if they're small and reasonable, and brush off any and all criticism of potentially problematic issues as salt. It's ok to be a little bias, but too much and you become a real jerk lol. So try to hear out some the arguments of the more reasonable smashers, but by all means, ignore real salt.

Last edited:

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I feel like waft has gotten a lot of hate lately, and I can definitely see why. Feeling like the lead you worked so hard for can just completely go away in a second due to an easy to follow with and very strong attack is a ****ty feeling. It's even worse when Wario's already got the lead and hammers it in so much deeper after an early waft kill.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I could see that point, there's also no counter play to it, wario just kind of gets it despite what his opponent does. To be fair though, waft has gotten tuned and more balanced in every patch, in earlier patches it was super busted lol, but the main thing that makes waft problematic still hasn't changed, least imo.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree with you. I'd rather see it do less damage and knockback with half the charge time, but mainly because I like farting, less because balance lol.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Wario waft combos just break souls so much that it leaves lasting imprints on people's minds.

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks Waft is not that bad, considering how other characters gimp games are and how they can kill you.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
God, 2.5 and 2.6 waft thought! That was so busted. Armored easy to combo into move that kills at like 30%. yes please.

Top Bottom