• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanting to become a Mewtwo main... What do i do?

Pάρί

Smash Apprentice
Coming back to the smash scene i wanted to become a Mewtwo main, today / yesterday for the whole day i just played mewtwo but somethings still feel awkward to me. I know how to wavedash now with Mewtwo, and all my other mains. I just wanted to get some pointers, like how to combo with him, what are good combos, what stages are good with him, everything im thinking of really putting my time into making mewtwo my signature character, and i want to master him out of everybody else. Can you help me catch this legendary god of pokemon? :mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Do stuff that lets you follow up/techchase with other stuff. Good combos rack up damage and/or get the opponent offstage.

I've always found "how do I combo" to be a weird question to ask about Smash. True combos are the exception in Smash, not the rule. You combo by following your opponent's DI and using something that sets up further options or sets up for a kill/gimp. Figure out what moves you can follow up on (and how best to follow them in a given situation) and which tend to put them out of reach (and what opponents/percentages each is true for) and you're well on your way. When you're exploring setups and followups for specific attacks, that's the time to start asking questions about combos. Simply asking for combos in general is begging to get a detailed answer that you can't apply because you don't have the experience to intuitively understand it.

Pick medium to large stages with a healthy amount of platforms, generally with low ceilings and wide blast zones.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Well on spacies you can get combos. Other than them, comboing is nearly no existent in Smash.

But like infinity said, force tech chases.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Just to straighten some things out, combos are non-existent in Brawl. This is Project M, where combos are existent and bad decisions are going to you punished, and punished horribly at that. Victini is right to an extent though, and for that reason I like to think of combos as a string of perfect or optimal punishes. Thinking in that manner I refer to comboing as my "Punish Game".

Fast Fallers fall easy prey to UThrow > Uair/Fair > regrabs and aerial continuations. Comobing fast fallers you can practice because they are actual combos. To practice comboing fast falling characters you can use CPU's to an extent because there isn't much a human player can do to DI out of a competent Mewtwo's punishes anyways. Once again this is to get a feel of comboing fast fallers it won't guarantee you combos in all situations against a human player. After being exposed to enough situations, you will become more adapted to what punishes are available to you, and which ones are most abuseable in those situations.

Comboing other characters works differently but in a way the same as well. Jab > Dtilt, Jab > Grab, Jab > HC Fair and other follow-ups can be actual combos in a plethora of situations. To continue following up on characters that aren't fast fallers, you want to position yourself optimally to successfully make the next punish and repeat it until you can't. Mewtwo's insane range eases the problem of positioning, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary to position yourself to the best of your abilities. Next you need to THINK. Think quickly and adequately, and react to the situation that the opponent's DI has created. That means thinking of their available options, your available options and which option will work best in the situation to give you the punish. That step is the most important and hardest in any form of "comboing". Sometimes this step will be a nearly brain dead punish, at other times it will require good thought process to net a punish.

This isn't only for Mewtwo it's for every character you will ever play. So to summarize, you might catch on to simple combos quickly. But to do these 0%-Death combos you see M2K and other high level players perform it will take time. Your punish game will have to develop. Not only because you have to be exposed to so many different situations. But also because there are so many different ways each situation can be reacted to. It's what makes Smash, Smash. It's also the reason competitive Smash is so good. I probably broke that down way more than I should have, but I just like to be informative in my posts. Good luck bruh.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
@ 2 C H i L L E D 2 C H i L L E D
Good combo DI and SDI can mean you escape virtually anything.

However this doesn't factor in the mental parts of smash, like DI traps where you either are in a vad position, or you eat the double fair followup.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
@ 2 C H i L L E D 2 C H i L L E D
Good combo DI and SDI can mean you escape virtually anything.

However this doesn't factor in the mental parts of smash, like DI traps where you either are in a vad position, or you eat the double fair followup.
DI and SDI might get a player out of one situation where the player punishing would have brain dead punish for a follow up (Fox Uthrow > Uair). But in turn it sets up another situation where the punishing player can either punish again or gain onstage dominance. You escape one situation but it doesn't change the fact that you are in an unfavorable position for getting hit. Yeah, you might have avoided that brain dead punish, but you haven't escaped the entirety of the situation now have you?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
DI and SDI might get a player out of one situation where the player punishing would have brain dead punish for a follow up (Fox Uthrow > Uair). But in turn it sets up another situation where the punishing player can either punish again or gain onstage dominance. You escape one situation but it doesn't change the fact that you are in an unfavorable position for getting hit. Yeah, you might have avoided that brain dead punish, but you haven't escaped the entirety of the situation now have you?
This is where the mindgames come in. Should I eat the combo? Or be forced offstage?

Mewtwo's punish game is not super good (in a game where you have characters like Snake, Falco, Diddy Kong, Lucario and Lucas who have absolutely absurd punishes lol) but his edgeguard game is. Mewtwo's optimal punish is forcing the opponent to use combo DI, to get the opponent offstage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom