• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want to improve your DEFENSIVE game?!

Did you find this thread helpful?

• Total voters

Dookie The Wizard

Smash Rookie
NNID
DukeyTheWizard
So something that I am always doing is improving my defensive game in Smash 4. How ever this can really work for any SSB game. Here I will be posting my advice for a defensive game, but you can post yours here too. Ill check back here every once in a while to list down what I think are some of the best ways to get good at defense. All of these rules can be bent, so long as they are still a challenge for you. If you do have a way to improve please do list it below, I probably will list them (credited) here as well.

-KEY-

Stock -Your set stocks for a game-

Time -Time limit for a game-

Lvl X CPU -What level to set a CPU-

Damage Limit -How much damage you can take per game-

WBF -Works Best for X game-

1. (Stock:5, Lvl 9 CPU, Damage Limit:30%) -This is a very basic yet effective strategy to improve. Set the stock count to 5. Fight against a Lvl 9 CPU and take out all five of its stocks with out taking > 30 damage. If so pleased change this rule for tougher or easier depending on your current skill at defending.-

2. (WBF SSB4) -Clear Classic mode on hardest difficulty with out losing a stock. This is another simple yet effective way to improve your defense. Also upon accomplishing it will get you one step closer to completing the challenge board in SSB4.-

3. (Stock:X, Damage Limit:X) -Tech Skill and Predicting. While I don't enjoy saying it, if you look at SSB from a different angle it is a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game. This means you need to out smart your opponent. Predicting is one of those ways. This can help you get out of sticky situations. Teching is a vital skill all players must learn (Teching for you new comers is pressing Shield 20 frames before hitting a surface (Wall, Ceiling, Floor) while in tumble or hit stun). It is also a great way to protect your self from another attack. Upon Teching you can also roll in ether direction by inputing a direction left or right. Be careful though, don't roll into the opponents trap (this is where predicting can come in handy).-

4. (Stock:X Damage Limit:X) -OoS options. OoS stands for Out of Shield, There are a lot of options when it comes to this area. You can grab out of shield by pressing A while holding shield, you can jump out of shield by pressing Jump while in shield, and you can Roll while in shield by inserting a direction, and Spot dodge or Side Step (introduced in Melee) by pressing down while in shield These can help you punish your opponent for hitting your shield and not you. However you can be grabbed through your shield so that is what the Spot Dodge is for. Each character has different amount of time in Spot Dodge (between 22-42 frames in melee, 22-32 in brawl, and between 24-29 in SSB4)-

-WIP: Needs help from you too help this thread grow-

Last edited:
Top Bottom