• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want buffs you would want to see Shulk get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
I appreciate the devs giving Shulk damage increases and less landing lag on aerials, but they never addressed Shulk's main problems like less start up, less ending lag, and other things on moves. In more detail, what buffs do you guys they Shulk needs?

I think that Shulk needs less lag on his tilts (except down tilt), a better jab, a better up and down air, and maybe less lag on fair and bair.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hmmmmmm. . . so many ideas / buffs to think of. This thread's title being a question means that you could have posted this in the Q&A thread.:p Or in the Shulk patch thread. So in case this gets moved, I'll add my thoughts on the matter now.

After each patch that goes by, I swap out hopeful buffs I would want one patch from now, but wanted other different balances several patches ago. But some buffs that would be great for the moment:
  • Reduce the endlag on Utilt. If the current FAF is 40, make it 35 or 36.
  • Reduce the endlag on Fsmash. If the current FAF is 68, make it 62 or 63.
  • Add a 6th hitbox for Dsmash. The hitbox active window can be frames 48-50.
  • Reduce the endlag on Nair. If the FAF is 71, make it 65 or 66.
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Nair. If the autocancel is 80>, make it something like 67>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Bair. If the autocancel is 79>, make it something like 59>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Uair. If the autocancel is 79>, make it something like 66>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Dair. If the autocancel is 78>, make it something like 67>
  • Ledge-snap ability with Back Slash / Back Slash Leap / Back Slash Charge (Back Slash Leap makes the most sense)
  • Reduced endlag on either Bthrow or Uthrow. A 5 frame reduction is more than enough, if not a bit too much.
  • Reduced startup on Jab1. If Jab1 is frame 5, make it something like frame 4 or even 3 would be a godsend.
  • Fix the set knockback of Shulk's first hit of Fsmash so that it properly links at all percents similar to Tink's recent buff.
Mostly I want autocancel reductions & endlag reduction for Utilt Fsmash Nair & a throw. Everything else would be a QoL buff that I'd be fine with, including more damage.

EDIT: I just remembered Monado art buffs as a possibility. Buff Shield art's Damage Taken multiplier from -33% (0.67x) to -30% (0.70x), & balance it out by buffing Shield art's damage dealt multiplier from -30% (0.70x) to -25% (0.75x). If the knockback taken multiplier requires a fair balancing nerf to it, then slightly to compensate for the more damage you'd dish. Make Jump art's Damage Taken multiplier go down from +22% (1.22x) to +20% (1.20x). And finally, buff the frame duration of Hyper Monado arts to 460 frames (8 seconds) instead of having its current 360 frames (6 seconds).

Last edited:

TheAfrokid

Smash Rookie
Hmmmmmm. . . so many ideas / buffs to think of. This thread's title being a question means that you could have posted this in the Q&A thread.:p Or in the Shulk patch thread. So in case this gets moved, I'll add my thoughts on the matter now.

After each patch that goes by, I swap out hopeful buffs I would want one patch from now, but wanted other different balances several patches ago. But some buffs that would be great for the moment:
  • Reduce the endlag on Utilt. If the current FAF is 40, make it 35 or 36.
  • Reduce the endlag on Fsmash. If the current FAF is 68, make it 62 or 63.
  • Add a 6th hitbox for Dsmash. The hitbox active window can be frames 48-50.
  • Reduce the endlag on Nair. If the FAF is 71, make it 65 or 66.
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Nair. If the autocancel is 80>, make it something like 67>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Bair. If the autocancel is 79>, make it something like 59>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Uair. If the autocancel is 79>, make it something like 66>
  • Reduce the autocancel window on Dair. If the autocancel is 78>, make it something like 67>
  • Ledge-snap ability with Back Slash / Back Slash Leap / Back Slash Charge (Back Slash Leap makes the most sense)
  • Reduced endlag on either Bthrow or Uthrow. A 5 frame reduction is more than enough, if not a bit too much.
  • Reduced startup on Jab1. If Jab1 is frame 5, make it something like frame 4 or even 3 would be a godsend.
  • Fix the set knockback of Shulk's first hit of Fsmash so that it properly links at all percents similar to Tink's recent buff.
Mostly I want autocancel reductions & endlag reduction for Utilt Fsmash Nair & a throw. Everything else would be a QoL buff that I'd be fine with, including more damage.

EDIT: I just remembered Monado art buffs as a possibility. Buff Shield art's Damage Taken multiplier from -33% (0.67x) to -30% (0.70x), & balance it out by buffing Shield art's damage dealt multiplier from -30% (0.70x) to -25% (0.75x). If the knockback taken multiplier requires a fair balancing nerf to it, then slightly to compensate for the more damage you'd dish. Make Jump art's Damage Taken multiplier go down from +22% (1.22x) to +20% (1.20x). And finally, buff the frame duration of Hyper Monado arts to 460 frames (8 seconds) instead of having its current 360 frames (6 seconds).
I agree with you all the way (the ledge snap with backslash would be f***ing awesome) but something i think you left out that would be nice to have is reduced startup on aerials. shulk can be comboed like no other characters cause the fastest aerial is frame 13. If i could have one buff it would have to be a frame 7-8 fair. although it could'nt break up many combos it could completely change shulks play style. (and frankly shulk is getting unfairly ignored in patches.)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I agree with you all the way (the ledge snap with backslash would be f***ing awesome) but something i think you left out that would be nice to have is reduced startup on aerials. shulk can be comboed like no other characters cause the fastest aerial is frame 13. If i could have one buff it would have to be a frame 7-8 fair. although it could'nt break up many combos it could completely change shulks play style. (and frankly shulk is getting unfairly ignored in patches.)
That never hurts to have. From what I was seeing frame-by-frame Nair could of been frame 12 startup, Fair Uair1 & Dair1 could of been frame 13 startup, & Bair could of been frame 17. Not gonna lie though, frame 7-8 Fair wouldn't even be fun. I'd rather have a frame shave but retain how active Fair is, since it's 14-18 & covers a wide frontal range starting above Shulk & ending around Shulk's foot. I'd probably want a frame 10-15 Fair.
They actually did address startup with Back Scratch, buuuut...

I'll be on my way now.
And yet because of it, frame 24 of Back Slash is garbage.:(

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've always thought that a ledgesnap on Back Slash would be amazing because, can you imagine? You'd practically have completely safe recovering from up high (provided you don't miss).

I think I'd like a few less startup frames on stuff like jab, ftilt, uair. Maybe that's just to cover my own inadequacies rather than Shulk's though. Endlag reductions on his throws would be a godsend, as would some further reductions on his aerials (bair pls). Some earlier autocancels would be nice too - every time someone tells me nair's autocancel is ridiculously good, I won't have to tell them that it autocancels on frame 80.

I'd also love if Shulk's dair had active hitboxes comparable to Cloud's so I could drag dair into people... but that's a pipe dream. They won't change that.

This isn't really comparing to the rest of the cast for balance, moreso what I'd love in future updates. When I have this much bias for a character it's hard to be objective :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom