• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi for Project:M finally released - everything should be all good now

SgtPingwen

Smash Rookie
Hi, everyone! I have returned almost a month later. I've played Waluigi a lot casually and boy, did my opinions change a lot. Here it goes~~~

Okay, I have actually explored Waluigi a bit and he is feeling more and more like a good character.
These are my general thoguhts on Waluigi's moveset:

Amazing: Grab, Dair, DThrow, FTilt. DownB, DownB-B, Aerial DownB-B*, DTilt
Fine as is: Dash Attack, Jab, UTilt, FSmash, DSmash, Fair, Nair, Bair, BThrow, FThrow, UThrow, Pummel, SideB, Aerial DownB-A
Slight tweaking: USmash, UAir, SideB2, DownB-A, UpB
Bad: NeutralB

On my last post, I was very critical on a lot of Waluigi's moves and characteristic, mostly thinking about how he would hold up in a competitive environment as I hope Waluigi will be tournament legal one day. After another month of play (unfortunately no real friendlies experience with him), I feel much more relaxed about the whole thing. Waluigi has grown on me to be one of my favorite characters and I think he only needs a few minor tweaks, as opposed to basically a complete overall as I ranted before :p

Now, I will talk a little bit about the few moves that I think could use a little work:

USmash- Out of all the moves in "Slight tweaking" and below, this one is closest to being "Fine as is." The only thing this move could use is a longer DACUS, as it would help out his punish game. Waluigi could definitely survive with out a DACUS, though.

UAir- Overall, the move is fine, I just thing you should look over the sweetspot hitboxes. It may just be me, but I think the current sweetspot is inconsistent and the reward for hitting it is a little low. Very minor tweaks on it, though.

SideB2- The dive part of SideB. Similar with UAir, just make sure that the hitboxes are consistent. A few times when I've used this move, it seemed to jank out on me by not sending someone downward.

DownB-A: Similar to how I used to feel about Aerial DownB-A, I'm sure I just haven't explored this move enough. My previous post stated that DownB-A was a good move to use in neutral to punish and approach, I was wrong. That leaves the move in a weird spot where it doesn't have a ton of uses. You can cheese the foot stomp for a meteorsmash with edgeguarding(which he already does with a few other moves lmao) and perhaps the most useful way to use this move is to DownB-A on to stage from ledge. Can someone help me out with this move?

UpB: I think that Waluigi's grabbox comes out a bit slow after this move. With how little it moves horizontally, I think it is reasonable for it to come out a few frames earlier.

And that just leaves NeutralB: the "Waaaah!"
Same as last post, this is the only part of Waluigi that feels like it is missing something. It has no place in Neutral, Combo, Punish, and barely a use in edgeguarding. I will get the frame data on this move, but I think it comes out too slowly to be use in neutral, has too much end lag, and the windbox is lackluster. I think any combination of reduced startup, reduced endlag, bigger hitbox. or more knockback would make this move, and Waluigi complete.

*Edit: I think Aerial DownB-B needs a little tweaking. It weird how you intended Waluigi's stronger moves to be his feet, but his move uses his hands. Maybe make there also be hitboxes on his feet with a different spike angle? If he hits with just his fists, they go down one angle, just his feet, another, and both, they go out horizontally or something. Maybe consider making the DownB invincibility last a little longer so he gets some turning the start of AerialDownB-B, similar to Rest.

I will update this post with Waluigi's frame data and some of his cool options some people may not know about.

Last edited:

Juntae Park

Smash Rookie
Hi there, I just find Kirby's final smash will freeze during starting his final smash with wearing on Waluigi's hat. Both Wii and Dolphin happen same times when I use Waluigi in BrawlEx. Can you fix that?

VioletDevil

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sonicscarlet
This mod is really well done! The only realy minor issue I have is that Waluigi doesn't carry any momentum out of a jump. Besides that, this is still fantastic! ^o^

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
Hello, sorry for the bother, but i noticed Bowser doesnt have his fanfare. I tried on my own to fix the issue with no results. Could i trouble you with a gct to help fix that situation and give bowser his theme again? otherwise it funky with him having the mario theme.
Thank you in advance, along with a great character!

Shren

Smash Journeyman
KJP is working on a revamp, but who knows when that releases?

Top Bottom