• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for your loss Waluigi fans. If it's any consolation....
"Ridley attacks pyrosphere as a stage hazard!!...Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't you'll make it into the battle."
"FYI: I found him to large to make him work as playable, please understand."

:troll:
"Toad defends the princess as a living meat shield!!...Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't you'll make it into the battle."
your WAArrior has started a brand new Sakurai quote meme...

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Sorry for your lost Waluigi fans and I'll admit the translation did sound a bit mean.

How smash community feels about Waluigi AT status.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Sakurai trying to piss off what's left of the loving and caring Nintendo/Smash fanbase?

I don't know where to appreciate him for showing he's human with a sense of humor or think he's an ass.

This Waluigi **** does really set me off though. What the hell was the point of even introducing the character if you're not going to do anything with him? You know, CREATIVITY.

You have Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. You potentinally have four great characters to make a ton of games with, including even Wario Bros. But what are you going to do? "Lol, he's a joke assist trophy lol" [Not his exact words].

Ugh. Another time where Waluigi gets horrible misused by people who can't be creative enough to put him to proper use.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I really, honestly don't see Sakurai's comment as being an attack on people who want him.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that Waluigi is locked in this position because he was created by Camelot specifically to be Wario's doubles partner in Mario Tennis. I'm sure the most elite Nintendo developers have some respect for Camelot in their hearts. They created probably the best Tennis and Golf video games in existence, as well as some pretty good RPGs (understatement I'm sure, but I haven't really played Golden Sun). Yet, Waluigi just isn't going anywhere in his role in the Mario franchise (and thus Smash Bros.) because he was not created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto or the legendary Gunpei Yokoi. That's the sad reality until someone gives Waluigi better treatment in a Mario or Wario game.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Found a couple of gems and figured this where they should to be.

–––
and something more positive

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Copying my post from the Potd thread, and how today's picture (with Dedenne) makes me feel :

...Haha, I actually find this one funny! So much that it now makes the Waluigi comment funny for me too!

I'm now pretty sure the comment meant that not playable characters work really hard on the battlefield, doing their best to fight, but they're still just temporary summons, they won't stay into battle.

Smady

Smash Master
Waluigi to my knowledge never got put up on the Dojo, and didn't get Friday either, yielding to the almighty Pikachu rip-off from gen six.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai trying to piss off what's left of the loving and caring Nintendo/Smash fanbase?

I don't know where to appreciate him for showing he's human with a sense of humor or think he's an ***.

This Waluigi **** does really set me off though. What the hell was the point of even introducing the character if you're not going to do anything with him? You know, CREATIVITY.

You have Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. You potentinally have four great characters to make a ton of games with, including even Wario Bros. But what are you going to do? "Lol, he's a joke assist trophy lol" [Not his exact words].

Ugh. Another time where Waluigi gets horrible misused by people who can't be creative enough to put him to proper use.
Toad is pretty misused :/
Yeah, that was a little harsh though Sakurai.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Well at the very least we can take solace in the fact that he appears to have been at least considered at one point to be a playable character, something not many of the other deconfirmed characters can claim. :)

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Man, dat Sakurai comment. Diss on Waluigi fans much?
You know he's referencing Waluigi's trophy AND his reveal during Brawl times right? Are people's memory this bad or everyone here is 10 or something? Nobody remembers the Waluigi joke from last time?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Came here to give my condolences. Can't say I supported him(although with all the Anti-Waluigi bullsh** I've put up with on SF, I kinda wanted to just to spite the haters), but I did see him as one of the more plausible Mario newcomers.

Getting one of you're favourite potential newcomers deconfirmed always sucks, and it's nice to see you guys keeping it classy in here.

On the bright side, see what @ Waluridleykryrool Waluridleykryrool said. I think Sakurai was just reminding people that not every character whose really popular or important or whatever will make it in, because roster space isn't infinite.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have a feeling that Waluigi is locked in this position because he was created by Camelot specifically to be Wario's doubles partner in Mario Tennis. I'm sure the most elite Nintendo developers have some respect for Camelot in their hearts. They created probably the best Tennis and Golf video games in existence, as well as some pretty good RPGs (understatement I'm sure, but I haven't really played Golden Sun). Yet, Waluigi just isn't going anywhere in his role in the Mario franchise (and thus Smash Bros.) because he was not created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto or the legendary Gunpei Yokoi. That's the sad reality until someone gives Waluigi better treatment in a Mario or Wario game.
At least a certain hyper desert princess won't be added since she never really had any major roles. Her and Waluigi are on the same boat in terms of not warranting a playable role.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
You know he's referencing Waluigi's trophy AND his reveal during Brawl times right? Are people's memory this bad or everyone here is 10 or something? Nobody remembers the Waluigi joke from last time?
You could elaborate more you know, what part of Waluigi's reveal on the old Dojo connects with the statement Sakurai made this time? I see none.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You could elaborate more you know, what part of Waluigi's reveal on the old Dojo connects with the statement Sakurai made this time? I see none.
This is Waluigi's Melee trophy description...

This tall, thin, evil-looking guy seems to be Luigi's rival. He works hard at his mischief: Waluigi reportedly spent a lot of time training for his debut in Mario Tennis by honing his ability to antagonize the Mario brothers. While it's general knowledge that he's the same age as Luigi, his relationship to Wario is unclear.

This is Waluigi's Brawl trophy description...

A twig-thin man who sees himself as Luigi's ultimate rival. He spent a long time working silently in the shadow of the Mario Bros. before finally becoming strong enough to compete with them in Mario Tennis. Since then, he's had many brilliant game appearances. While the nature of his relationship to Wario is a mystery, the pair have hatched some devious schemes together.

This is what Sakurai said about Waluigi on the Brawl Dojo...

The fact that he’s an Assist Trophy means he won’t be appearing as a playable character, but... Waluigi appears nonetheless!

This is what Sakurai said about Waluigi on Miiverse...

Pic of the day. Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I see, it's been an inside joke ever since Melee too. It's not something i'd notice right away, probably because i'm bold and don't remember any of the trophy descriptions.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Waluigi to my knowledge never got put up on the Dojo, and didn't get Friday either, yielding to the almighty Pikachu rip-off from gen six.

you literally need to refresh the dojo when a new pic shows up

just visiting the website later in the day will not help

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, as much as it doesn't mean much (nor would it cheer any of you guys up), but Waluigi still hasn't gotten the worst treatment out of the disconfirmed characters, if only because being a meatshield is so much more degrading.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know, as much as it doesn't mean much (nor would it cheer any of you guys up), but Waluigi still hasn't gotten the worst treatment out of the disconfirmed characters, if only because being a meatshield is so much more degrading.
Yeah, even if Sakurai's quote on try hard was meant towards Waluigi fans. I think it still would not have been as cruel as the fake pic of the day prior to Rosalina's trailer.

"N-now wait a second, let's talk this through! We don't wanna miss today's Nintendo Direct, right?"

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I rather think its for the people who don't check miiverse and think it was a new character and not an assist trophy . Like skull kid.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If you guys want to feel a bit better about yourselves, you could always go laugh at the pitiful Daisy fans on GameFAQs who think that she's a lock now.

The irony is that Waluigi is at least an Assist Trophy. Daisy will get a trophy, at best.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If you guys want to feel a bit better about yourselves, you could always go laugh at the pitiful Daisy fans on GameFAQs who think that she's lock now.

The irony is that Waluigi is at least an Assist Trophy. Daisy will get a trophy, at best.
Nah. She'll definitely be playable.

As a pallet swap :troll:

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Still feel as though it could have been a jab at Waluigi supporters as well.

The guy has a strange fanbase behind him. Like I said, whatever though.
The Dedene picture is already proof enough that it wasn't the case, that and the fact that Sakurai is a grown japanese man, who already was shown to care for nintendo characters as a whole, not a little kiddie who chooses one or two to defend and then uses the internet to try and play "troll" and get off on it, the kind that would keep misinterpreting any statement to fit their games of "my obscure unimportant character is better than yours"

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
While Sakurai´s comment does feel like a slight burn, i don´t think he was trying to be offensive. I think it was a surprisingly clever way of referencing a running gag of Waluigi´s extreme hard-work and his failures, while serving as a way to state that, even popular characters may not be in the game.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
To each their own. I still hope Nintendo at least TRIES to do things with Waluigi this following year.

He's not a bad character. There's such potential with the Wario Bros that's it drives the creative part of me crazy.

D

Deleted member

While Sakurai´s comment does feel like a slight burn, i don´t think he was trying to be offensive. I think it was a surprisingly clever way of referencing a running gag of Waluigi´s extreme hard-work and his failures, while serving as a way to state that, even popular characters may not be in the game.

For some reason this made me think of Waluigi climbing a mountain to eat the yolk of an eagle's egg.

....Nacho Libre is one of the most random things to think about in context to Waluigi....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom