• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Pivot? A ledge trick you probably used before

Skelterai

Smash Cadet
Hey fellow Frog players! I've only recently begun to pick up Greninja but I love how he plays. After a brief scan of the awesome threads we have here, I didn't notice any talk about his wall cling, which I like to use a lot. If this is already a big thing, sorry for the new thread and delete it if you'd like.

I just wanted to point out how Greninja's wall cling gives him new ledge options on any stage with a 90° angle for it's corners.
Put simply, if you've grabbed ledge, you have several options for getting on stage.

On any wall stage in Omega, or on a corner of castle seige(example), you can pivot by activating wall cling on ledge.

This is done by grabbing ledge and pressing your control stick away from ledge, rather than down. He should make a wall jump animation that you can act out of with just about anything. My most used method would be back air, which comes out pretty fast, has great range, and can give you safe passage back to ledge if your situation calls for it.

I've attempted this with Diddy Kong, but was unable to replicate it, as well as with regular wall jumpers like Falcon and Mario. This may be specific to Greninja.

I haven't tested every stage and every character, but I can get back with results.

EDIT: This is different on Wii U. The input is a lot harder, because wall cling doesn't seem to activate the same way. On Wii U, you must drop down from ledge, cling towards the wall, and then jump into whichever input you want, which let's be real, is probably just back air.

This will take a little practice on Wii U though.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Sounds interesting! Perhaps it would work with Sheik or Lucario? I feel like I have done something similar to it instinctively. Let me know if you find anything else out, and if you can, provide a video! :p

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Hey fellow Frog players! I've only recently begun to pick up Greninja but I love how he plays. After a brief scan of the awesome threads we have here, I didn't notice any talk about his wall cling, which I like to use a lot. If this is already a big thing, sorry for the new thread and delete it if you'd like.

I just wanted to point out how Greninja's wall cling gives him new ledge options on any stage with a 90° angle for it's corners.
Put simply, if you've grabbed ledge, you have several options for getting on stage.

On any wall stage in Omega, or on a corner of castle seige(example), you can pivot by activating wall cling on ledge.

This is done by grabbing ledge and pressing your control stick away from ledge, rather than down. He should make a wall jump animation that you can act out of with just about anything. My most used method would be back air, which comes out pretty fast, has great range, and can give you safe passage back to ledge if your situation calls for it.

I've attempted this with Diddy Kong, but was unable to replicate it, as well as with regular wall jumpers like Falcon and Mario. This may be specific to Greninja.

I haven't tested every stage and every character, but I can get back with results.
Video please? I can visualize what it entails but I want to see it.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Ah I see. You are dropping from the ledge and quickly wall jumping into an attack; this may be really useful! Thanks for the video, I'll be trying this out.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I've actually done this several times before, but I never knew that there was any practical use. Thanks for reminding me to reimplement wall pivots!

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
You don't need to push away from the wall to do this. During a wallcling, you can just press jump and you will jump straight up without using your midair jump, even though it's the same animation

Megamang

Smash Lord
I like sitting on a wall while they recover, just because it looks so cool if you jump off and fair them.

This is mostly against characters susceptible to the straight down hydro pump gimp, eg mario and Ryu where they go flying into midstage if they up through the water. In these MUs, clinging to the wall gives you the ability to quickly decide to hydro pump the area right in front of the ledge on reaction to them airdodging (which you are forcing with fair!) and getting you hopefully an easy kill against these (rather important often) characters.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
I've used this before and it was pretty useful to get rid of ledge pressure when someone jumps out to get you. But if your opponent is just staying on the edge waiting, it's better to do drop off double jump and hydropump him and then forward to get the ledge in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom